RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2020, 07:30 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Actually all 3 make a pretty decent truck now, with the exception of the emissions control systems. They all have emissions issues and will until the government forces then to provide an emissions warranty well in excess of the current 50,000 miles.

The best advice is to find a truck that meets your towing requirements, fits your budget and it's seats fit your bucket.

Ken
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2020, 03:39 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
How much clearance did you have? What did you do to fix it? How much clearance do you have after the fix?
I had just over 6" at the front cap to the center of the truck bed area. I should have measured everywhere, I often had just 5-1/4" at the rear of the bed.

Since My 5th hitch was raised to maximum, I lowered the 5th hitch pin on the 5er by one notch, which is 1-1/2" per notch. I now have 6-3/4" at the rear of the truck bed to 5er undercarriage.

I damaged both at my M-I-Ls summer camp, a place I've gone maybe 20 times with no issues. I think the land was soggier due to heavy rain and was just enough for the cap to hang onto the inside edge of the truck bed on a sharp turn, tearing the lower cap moulding and damaging the bedside plastic cap.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:54 AM   #31

I have a B&W companion hitch hooked to a stock 2020 GM DRW and I guess I got lucky. I hooked up our Riverstone with the B&W in the middle setting without measuring anything (this was my first fiver after years of pulling from the bumper) and it was pretty much dead level on level grounds and had in between 7 to 8 inches of clearance to the bed and I still had at least 6 inches of clearance on the raised Retrax bed-cover rails.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 06:13 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I had just over 6" at the front cap to the center of the truck bed area. I should have measured everywhere, I often had just 5-1/4" at the rear of the bed.

Since My 5th hitch was raised to maximum, I lowered the 5th hitch pin on the 5er by one notch, which is 1-1/2" per notch. I now have 6-3/4" at the rear of the truck bed to 5er undercarriage.

I damaged both at my M-I-Ls summer camp, a place I've gone maybe 20 times with no issues. I think the land was soggier due to heavy rain and was just enough for the cap to hang onto the inside edge of the truck bed on a sharp turn, tearing the lower cap moulding and damaging the bedside plastic cap.

So how do I measure this when looking to buy? Right now, Iím planning to measure from the ground to the front cap on the RV and from the ground to the bed rail on the truck.
Old 08-08-2020, 06:17 AM   #33

So a Chevy dealership down the road just got a 3500 DRW High Country in, so my wife and I figured why not. We drove it yesterday. The ride, power, smoothness and quietness really surprised us. We really liked the way it drove. We did not like the dash and technology, however the HUD was a nice thing to have.

We are still driving the other 3 on Monday. More to follow.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:52 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
So how do I measure this when looking to buy? Right now, Iím planning to measure from the ground to the front cap on the RV and from the ground to the bed rail on the truck.
Yeah, that's pretty much how to do it. My dually compresses 2" with my 13k lbs loaded 5er, I'd guesstimate 2500-2700 lbs pin weight. I have a lot of heavy stuff up front. A SRW 3500 might compress a wee bit more, a 2500 likely twice as much.

the GM 3500 drives real nice compared to others, at least on the older models. GM is pretty reliable too IMO.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
Old 08-08-2020, 12:26 PM   #35

The Ford ride was returned in 2020. I thought the GM rode nice until I test drove the Ford. To me the ride was a tie. The Ford will steer a bit easier and if you get a chance test drive a Ford with the adaptive steering.

The Ram rides nice but I found the mega cab a bit clumsy.

I drove the GM SRW truck 1st and really liked it. I then drive the Ram SRW and did not like as much as the GM. I then drive the Ford and the retuned suspension, 10 speed transmission was so smooth and quiet and powerful that I am back into the Ford's. But could easily live with the GM and even the new Ram as the even if it felt a bit clumsy.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:11 PM   #36

Yeah, but will the Ford front end be worn out at 50 000km like all the older ones? Will the death wobble rear its ugly head?

I haven't driven a newer Ford in years, but that type of defect is inexcusable.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
Old 08-08-2020, 10:49 PM   #37

Quote:
Yeah, but will the Ford front end be worn out at 50 000km like all the older ones? Will the death wobble rear its ugly head?

I haven't driven a newer Ford in years, but that type of defect is inexcusable.
We had it in the 2012 rams at work. Bad. Nearly all of them had it. I saw it in one gas f250 that was a 2011 or so. Kind of funny my old sd with a leaf front drives straight as an arrow, so did my 75 highboy.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 11:15 PM   #38

I have owned two Ram gasser hemis and loved both. Now with retirement and a new FW on order (2100# pin wt and 13000# dry/15000# GW) we went with Ram 3500 SRW and the 6.7L H/O engine in the Limited trim. Baby likes her comforts. Laramie was OK but by the time we added key features to it we were close to LTD anyway and we got the interior she wanted only available in LTD. Added auto level susp, 5th wheel prep, TTPMS, Trail cam wiring, and the 8' bed for maneuvering and the 50 gal tank upgrade.

Frankly, just like the styling in and out on Ram as well.
reg11756 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:59 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The Ford ride was returned in 2020. I thought the GM rode nice until I test drove the Ford. To me the ride was a tie. The Ford will steer a bit easier and if you get a chance test drive a Ford with the adaptive steering.

I drove the GM SRW truck 1st and really liked it. I then drive the Ram SRW and did not like as much as the GM. I then drive the Ford and the retuned suspension, 10 speed transmission was so smooth and quiet and powerful that I am back into the Ford's. But could easily live with the GM and even the new Ram as the even if it felt a bit clumsy.

Just talked to a good friend of mine last night , he is in the market and shopping for a new SRW 1 ton and drove the Ram and found the same thing you did. Nice looking interior NON-HO motor was a little lazy compared to his 2017 duramax . Driving was a deal breaker , didn't want to buy just because of the road manners.
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #40

Quote:
Yeah, that's pretty much how to do it. My dually compresses 2" with my 13k lbs loaded 5er, I'd guesstimate 2500-2700 lbs pin weight. I have a lot of heavy stuff up front. A SRW 3500 might compress a wee bit more, a 2500 likely twice as much.

the GM 3500 drives real nice compared to others, at least on the older models. GM is pretty reliable too IMO.

So I should take:

Height of Fifth Wheel - (Height of Truck Bed - 2Ē) = Bed Clearance?
Old 08-09-2020, 10:12 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

So the KR we are test driving has pretty much everything BUT adaptive steering.
Old 08-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by reg11756 View Post
I have owned two Ram gasser hemis and loved both. Now with retirement and a new FW on order (2100# pin wt and 13000# dry/15000# GW) we went with Ram 3500 SRW and the 6.7L H/O engine in the Limited trim. Baby likes her comforts. Laramie was OK but by the time we added key features to it we were close to LTD anyway and we got the interior she wanted only available in LTD. Added auto level susp, 5th wheel prep, TTPMS, Trail cam wiring, and the 8' bed for maneuvering and the 50 gal tank upgrade.

Frankly, just like the styling in and out on Ram as well.

We actually like the Laramie Longhorn a little bit better than the Limited. Outside of seats and grill, you can get about everything in both. How are you liking your Limited?

Tags
purchase