RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2020, 07:34 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
unloaded mileage will be right around 1 MPG less with 4:10. I feel in the end its not a deal breaker compared to benefit if your doing any amount of towing. If your going to own this truck for a long time get the 4;10 chances are your going to get a heavier trailer . keep your highway speed to around 70mph unloaded you will not notice much differance. If you have a heavy foot the 3;55 empty will start to give you a bigger gain in mileage.

I live in south TX, so speed limits of 75, running 80 will definitely have me taking a bit of a dive, but thatís 1,000 miles driving like that every 3 to 4 months. The other mileage is running around 70 and some light city driving.

The 48 gallon tank is an awesome feature in the Ford.

Working on a deal on a F-350 King Ranch with 4.10s right now. Weíll see if they can get there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2020, 07:48 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
unloaded mileage will be right around 1 MPG less with 4:10. I feel in the end its not a deal breaker compared to benefit if your doing any amount of towing. If your going to own this truck for a long time get the 4;10 chances are your going to get a heavier trailer . keep your highway speed to around 70mph unloaded you will not notice much differance. If you have a heavy foot the 3;55 empty will start to give you a bigger gain in mileage.
If you have a light foot? My experience has been hammering them harder cuts into any mileage savings due to spinning the motor a tine bit slower.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:29 PM   #73

I had a 2017 F350 swd that I put on Craig's List on a lark to check the response. Listed it at NADA hard retail, and sold it in two days to a dealer in Phoenix for the listed price. Still shaking my head.
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #74

So what's the big deal with adaptive cruise control? I've never had a vehicle with it but I use cruise almost all the time.
I assume that if I'm set on 65 and I come up behind someone going 63 my vehicle will then slow to 63? If we then come up behind someone going 60 my vehicle will then slow down to 60?
If that's how it works no thanks. I don't need every other vehicle on the road dictating my speed. If I'm set on 70 and I encounter a vehicle doing 67 I want to pass him, not slow down.
Old 08-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #75

Believe it or not - Adaptive Cruise
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:13 PM   #76

You are correct about the adaptive cruise. If the person in front speeds up, you speed up, till you get to your set point. It will actually come to a complete stop if the person in front of you stops, and then go again if they go. We have it on our 2019 expedition. It is nice, but in my opinion it follows way too close. You can change the follow distance, but even on itís furthest setting, it is too close for me. No way would I get that close to someone if I was towing a trailer. I use cruise all the time, even when towing, but I wouldnít like the adaptive cruise for towing. I prefer the old style cruise control for towing.
LanceKeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 04:59 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceKeys View Post
You are correct about the adaptive cruise. If the person in front speeds up, you speed up, till you get to your set point. It will actually come to a complete stop if the person in front of you stops, and then go again if they go. We have it on our 2019 expedition. It is nice, but in my opinion it follows way too close. You can change the follow distance, but even on itís furthest setting, it is too close for me. No way would I get that close to someone if I was towing a trailer. I use cruise all the time, even when towing, but I wouldnít like the adaptive cruise for towing. I prefer the old style cruise control for towing.

80% of the time, Iím not towing. I love it! Driven a few rental cars with it.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #78

They took my deal. Headed to pick up a 2020 Ford F-350 DRW King Ranch tomorrow. Iíll post a few pics when I pick it up.

It has 4.10s, Adaptive Cruise, FX4, chrome package, camper package, 5th wheel prep/puck system, ultimate trailer package and cameras, King Ranch ultimate package, and up fitter switches.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:05 PM   #79

Quote:
Can the ACC be turned off?
Old 08-13-2020, 05:24 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDGoose View Post
Can the ACC be turned off?

Yes.
Old 08-13-2020, 06:11 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
They took my deal. Headed to pick up a 2020 Ford F-350 DRW King Ranch tomorrow. Iíll post a few pics when I pick it up.

It has 4.10s, Adaptive Cruise, FX4, chrome package, camper package, 5th wheel prep/puck system, ultimate trailer package and cameras, King Ranch ultimate package, and up fitter switches.
Congrats on the new truck.

Rick
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:15 PM   #82

Quote:
It is nice, but in my opinion it follows way too close. You can change the follow distance, but even on it’s furthest setting, it is too close for me.
The Ram has 4 different distance settings. I find I never use the furthest setting and seldom the third but I'm not towing, I carry a truck camper at approximately 5400 lbs. I'm guessing each manufacturers distance settings are a little different.

Rick
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:55 PM   #83

Congrats I think you will really like that truck. Especially the easier steering and the power

The ultimate trailer package - is that a 3" receiver with 2 reducers? If so, what is the weight rating on it? I think that is what I want to tow a heavy tongued travel trailer.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:22 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
Congrats on the new truck.

Rick

Thank you Rick!

Tags
purchase