RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #99

Did you notice the light steering, or how easy it us to drive? And how about all the smooth power.

That 10 speed is really something. On my test drive I did not really feel any shifts. The F-250 diesel did spin the rear tire a little bit as I was making a turn and pressing the throttle at the same time.

And the truck was quiet and extremely comfortable.

You got yourself a very nice truck.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Did you notice the light steering, or how easy it us to drive? And how about all the smooth power.

That 10 speed is really something. On my test drive I did not really feel any shifts. The F-250 diesel did spin the rear tire a little bit as I was making a turn and pressing the throttle at the same time.

And the truck was quiet and extremely comfortable.

You got yourself a very nice truck.

This one has about everything but adaptive steering. I have to be honest, I donít see a need for it. If it were any easier to steer, Iíd become an extremely lazy driver

I am told the 10 speed is a learning transmission, so itís a little unsure on certain shifts as it learns how I drive, and it supposed to get smoother as it breaks in. I have no complaints, but I do feel the unsure shifts every once in a while.

Thank you! Hopefully it will last is for years to come!
Old 08-15-2020, 07:32 PM   #101

I'm not a big Ford fan but that is one sweet looking truck.

Rick
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:06 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
I'm not a big Ford fan but that is one sweet looking truck.

Rick

Thanks Rick! Drive a new one and it might change your mind
Old 08-16-2020, 04:46 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Thanks Rick! Drive a new one and it might change your mind
I did last fall and then bought a Ram.
Old 08-16-2020, 04:47 AM   #104

Quote:
This one has about everything but adaptive steering. I have to be honest, I donít see a need for it. If it were any easier to steer, Iíd become an extremely lazy driver

I am told the 10 speed is a learning transmission, so itís a little unsure on certain shifts as it learns how I drive, and it supposed to get smoother as it breaks in. I have no complaints, but I do feel the unsure shifts every once in a while.

I think the OEM are going to electric assist steering because it helps with fuel economy and emissions.

as far as break in , All 8 of my GM diesel trucks took about 15000 miles before they felt like they loosen up and want to run. My feeling is put 200 miles on it empty then hook up a heavy load and pull hard up hill for two hours . This really helps set the ring . Then dump all the oils rear end, trans , T-case and engine. The oil that comes out of the T-case and rear end may scare you with how much fine metal is in it! Great looking King Ranch , I always like white two tone.
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:22 AM   #105

Riley1 - you said you test drove a Ford last fall, was it a 2020 or a 2019? Ford improved the ride, steering, engine, sound proofing, and a few other things. I like my 2017 F-250 a lot but both the 2020 GM trucks and Ford are, I think better. When I test drove them I was Wow'ed. When I test drove the Ram I was meh. It was not as refined as the other trucks.

Some people like the hard shifts and the raspy engine noise and some people don't.

White as a color . Just let it sit in the summer sun. You can still touch a white vehicle as it will be warm. Touch a dark color car and you will get burned. One time as a younger person I bought a black car with black leather interior. Even in Ohio it was too hot in May, June, July and August. I could not wash it on my driveway on a sunny day.

White and Silver are good colors to stay warm sitting in the sun. Most other colors get too hot.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:46 AM   #106

[QUOTE=tuffr2;5399140]Riley1 - you said you test drove a Ford last fall, was it a 2020 or a 2019? Ford improved the ride, steering, engine, sound proofing, and a few other things. I like my 2017 F-250 a lot but both the 2020 GM trucks and Ford are, I think better. When I test drove them I was Wow'ed. When I test drove the Ram I was meh. It was not as refined as the other trucks.

Some people like the hard shifts and the raspy engine noise and some people

Genesee sells alot of beer.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 06:27 AM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Riley1 - you said you test drove a Ford last fall, was it a 2020 or a 2019?
I drove all three 2020's. I have no brand loyalty, I've owned them all. When I started looking Ram was number three on my list but after the demo drive/rides I liked the Ram best. Different strokes I guess.

Rick
Old 08-17-2020, 10:07 AM   #108

Our tow vehicle is a 2017 Ram, Laramie crewcab 3500 4x4, Cumins with the Aisin.

I had a flatbed built & installed and really like it. With the flatbed Iím no longer having to reach up and over the side rails to then reach in and down to hook or unhook the fifth wheel. (Note with DRW youíre starting farther away also). While I canít always hook or unhook standing flat on the ground most of the time I can. Additional benefits; include 4 tools boxes (although Iím now carrying more tools than ever), and I can easily carry a quad when the fifth wheel isnít installed.

Regarding the Aisin - itís slower shifting than the 68RFE but itís a truck transmission & feels very solid to me. Part of the problem for some might be that it has a fairly low first gear and a longer stretch to second than say the 68RFE.
The other thing I did that I really like is replacing the fuel tank with a Titan 55 gallon tank and installing an auxiliary 46 gallon tank on the flatbed.

Good luck on your search.
Pozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 12:54 PM   #109
JDT

Quote:

It took about 150 miles of some stop and go driving before my transmission smoothed out. Now at 7K and very satisfied with everything about mine. Good luck with the KR. My last F350 was a KR but went with the Plat for something different this time.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:36 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
I think the OEM are going to electric assist steering because it helps with fuel economy and emissions.

as far as break in , All 8 of my GM diesel trucks took about 15000 miles before they felt like they loosen up and want to run. My feeling is put 200 miles on it empty then hook up a heavy load and pull hard up hill for two hours . This really helps set the ring . Then dump all the oils rear end, trans , T-case and engine. The oil that comes out of the T-case and rear end may scare you with how much fine metal is in it! Great looking King Ranch , I always like white two tone.
Electric steering simplifies a lot of things for the OEM. Easy to now have a computer control steering input for stability control and lane-assist options.

Plugging in a connector is a lot quicker and easier than plumbing pipes and hoses, filling with fluids and bleeding them. There is also a likely weight saving with electric assist.

No need for dumping all those fluids at the 200 mile mark. If/when I buy a brand new rig I will likely do the first services a bit early, but nowhere that early. I'd say run hard (but properly, following proper cooldown and warmup cycles) I'd probably do the first LOF on a diesel or gas engine around 5000 miles/8000 km. I like to see trans fluid and t-case done at 80 000km-100 000km depending on loads pulled. Rear axle was flushed at 120 000km on mine after thorough verification at each service.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:35 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Electric steering simplifies a lot of things for the OEM. Easy to now have a computer control steering input for stability control and lane-assist options.

Plugging in a connector is a lot quicker and easier than plumbing pipes and hoses, filling with fluids and bleeding them. There is also a likely weight saving with electric assist.

No need for dumping all those fluids at the 200 mile mark. If/when I buy a brand new rig I will likely do the first services a bit early, but nowhere that early. I'd say run hard (but properly, following proper cooldown and warmup cycles) I'd probably do the first LOF on a diesel or gas engine around 5000 miles/8000 km. I like to see trans fluid and t-case done at 80 000km-100 000km depending on loads pulled. Rear axle was flushed at 120 000km on mine after thorough verification at each service.

I am saying put 200 miles on it with out towing anything , then hook up to a heavy load and run it hard in the hills , I did not say to dump the fluid at 200.My first oil / fluid changes happen around 1500 miles for the first change. then at 5K for the engine. My Tcase ,trans , front and Rear end get fluid changes every 25,000 miles. The first 2 fluid changes on the Tcase and rear end have always had more metal then I like to see in the oil. The rear-end needs a few miles of light loads to break-in some to avoid burning the fluid . most of the truck that come out of the factory get some miles before towing anyways , it would be very unusual for a new truck to hook up heavy and tow off the dealer lot. If you waiting for 80,000K on the first change to avoid spending $35 on fluids I would guess you dont plan on owning it for the long haul. I am not giving you a hard time but just stating I have changed my own fluids for 40+ years and every new truck has proved to need fresh fluids with no exceptions with just looking at the crap on the magnetic drain plugs.

Allison service , suggest fluid changes at 25,000 mile of dirty conditions with Transyn fluid , 50000 for highway on Transyn fluid only.

Fluids are cheap , i will gladly spend my money early on reasonable durations between changes.
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:21 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
I am saying put 200 miles on it with out towing anything , then hook up to a heavy load and run it hard in the hills , I did not say to dump the fluid at 200.My first oil / fluid changes happen around 1500 miles for the first change. then at 5K for the engine. My Tcase ,trans , front and Rear end get fluid changes every 25,000 miles. The first 2 fluid changes on the Tcase and rear end have always had more metal then I like to see in the oil. The rear-end needs a few miles of light loads to break-in some to avoid burning the fluid . most of the truck that come out of the factory get some miles before towing anyways , it would be very unusual for a new truck to hook up heavy and tow off the dealer lot. If you waiting for 80,000K on the first change to avoid spending $35 on fluids I would guess you dont plan on owning it for the long haul. I am not giving you a hard time but just stating I have changed my own fluids for 40+ years and every new truck has proved to need fresh fluids with no exceptions with just looking at the crap on the magnetic drain plugs.

Allison service , suggest fluid changes at 25,000 mile of dirty conditions with Transyn fluid , 50000 for highway on Transyn fluid only.

Fluids are cheap , i will gladly spend my money early on reasonable durations between changes.
Well, I have a 26 year old truck and a 9 year old one. Both are 100% functional with no knocks, no trans slippage, no rear end clunks either.

Changing more fluids and doing MORE maintenance would be beneficial to my business, I own an auto/truck repair shop and have 35 years of experience. I'd be called a crook if I was dumping the fluids that early though. I follow OEM schedules for the most part while exercising judgement and thorough notekeeping of wear and such.

I don't know which Allison trans you're speaking of, YMMV needed to check. I cannot remember 25 000 mile intervals for decades.

2006 Lakota 29RKT
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase