Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2020, 09:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
So, due to used car pricing, our situation has changed and it is now more advantageous to make a move in the next 30-60 days. Looking at the 3 Majors in the 350/3500 DRW configuration.

I know biases will come into play, but looking for thoughts and opinions, especially from those that own any of the 2020 350/3500 trucks.

Thanks everyone in advance!
In April 2010 I ordered a 2011 Super Duty F-250, 6.7li diesel, it turned 10 years old this June and I have never had a single regret driving that truck from Nova Scotia to South Texas with our 33ft 5th wheel behind it. These trucks are sturdy and powerful but what I like most on our truck is how quiet it is at 65mph on the highway. This diesel engine is whisper quiet compare to the Cummins or the Duramax and believe you me, on such a long haul diesel noise can be tiresome after a while. My advise, take each one for a drive at high speed and see what I mean, I know I didn't like what was coming from under the hood of a Ram truck no matter how reliable a Cummins motor is. In any case the popularity of the Ford trucks speaks volumes in my view. Good luck and Happy Trails��
Bazou7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2020, 09:59 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Can’t find one within 500 miles...
Good thing you don't have a Chevy then, they are the worst on turning radius.
Bazou7101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazou7101 View Post
In April 2010 I ordered a 2011 Super Duty F-250, 6.7li diesel, it turned 10 years old this June and I have never had a single regret driving that truck from Nova Scotia to South Texas with our 33ft 5th wheel behind it. These trucks are sturdy and powerful but what I like most on our truck is how quiet it is at 65mph on the highway. This diesel engine is whisper quiet compare to the Cummins or the Duramax and believe you me, on such a long haul diesel noise can be tiresome after a while. My advise, take each one for a drive at high speed and see what I mean, I know I didn't like what was coming from under the hood of a Ram truck no matter how reliable a Cummins motor is. In any case the popularity of the Ford trucks speaks volumes in my view. Good luck and Happy Trails��
Might have been true in 2010. But not for the 2020 trucks.
Old 08-06-2020, 11:27 AM   #18

All three are nice, powerful and quiet. You will need to drive each one and figure out what you like. I know the 2020s are improved over the 2017s when I bought my F350 DRW. The reasons I went with the F350 over the ram and the chevy was 48 Gallon fuel tank, cab size (Mega cab was the biggest but only comes in a short bed), Payload ( mine is 5532lbs / F450 was 4500lb in 2017), ride was good (for a 1 ton drw), fords 6.7 was more gas powered like when driving and the DW liked the heated and cooled seats in the ford. I had to look hard to find a chevy 3500 drw and a F450. I did end up ordering a F350 since I did not want a sun roof in a lariat. Have fun shopping but do your research before you get to the dealer.
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 12:06 PM   #19

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...ful-motto/amp/

The cab to axle ratio is standard on the c&c pickups for hauler beds. I know the above article is for an f750 or something but the bed should work on any c&c truck. Somebody would be able to put a pickup bed on a c&c truck but it sucks not being able to get all the options you want.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Agree the flat bed looks bad, but there are hauler beds that I think look much better than a pick-up bed. The tailgate on a pick-up bed and a 5th wheel don't play well together. Lots of times the tailgate gets crushed. A truck with a fancy hauler bed gets a lot more looks from people than a normal pick-up truck that you see 100's of times a day.

I believe the Cab Chassis will usually have things that the pick-up truck does not. I think it would be worth while to research. One thing I saw on the 2011 Ram Cab Chassis was a larger fuel tank and different (more) payload capacity. The engines are also tuned for longevity.

But you might be right about the trim level as most Cab Chassis will not be the upper trim levels plus they are harder to find. I have never seen a Cab Chassis at my local Ford Dealer.

Oh - I read on a Ford truck you can order it from the factory. From the factory they will send it to an outfitter for the hauler bed. From there it gets sent to your dealer for delivery to you. Now that is kinda cool.

Agree, any new DRW truck will have at least 4,500lbs or more of payload.
Howdy!

When I purchased my new truck as a fulltimer RVer I never even considered a regular truck bed. I purchased this truck from 2L Custom Trucks. Great truck and tows my 18,000 Cyclone easily. Also did not go back to 5er hitch and chanced out the pin box with a Reece Goose Box and use the goose neck ball.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Click image for larger version

Name:	325011A7-DA20-4434-A081-5B9033B8BD7E.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	296148
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:34 PM   #21

That looks like a serious truck. Made to tow either a 5th wheel of a big horse trailer.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
Howdy!

When I purchased my new truck as a fulltimer RVer I never even considered a regular truck bed. I purchased this truck from 2L Custom Trucks. Great truck and tows my 18,000 Cyclone easily. Also did not go back to 5er hitch and chanced out the pin box with a Reece Goose Box and use the goose neck ball.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

Attachment 296148
I'm asking seriously because I simply don't know but, what are the advantages of a hauler bed like that over a standard 8' bed other than clearance to the 5th wheel? I imagine there's special stuff, but I still like using my truck bed several times a year.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:12 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I'm asking seriously because I simply don't know but, what are the advantages of a hauler bed like that over a standard 8' bed other than clearance to the 5th wheel? I imagine there's special stuff, but I still like using my truck bed several times a year.
Howdy!

Clearance regarding the 5th wheel is a major problem regarding most if not all of the new trucks. Some even have problems with clearance inside the truck bed. As stated we are fulltimers and just didn’t want to have to deal with those type of problems. Everyone have different needs and this truck fits ours.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:15 PM   #24

Get a F450. Better turning radius. Ford is the way to go. The others are always playing catch up.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:22 PM   #25

Quote:
Howdy!

Clearance regarding the 5th wheel is a major problem regarding most if not all of the new trucks. Some even have problems with clearance inside the truck bed. As stated we are fulltimers and just didn’t want to have to deal with those type of problems. Everyone have different needs and this truck fits ours.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
Oh, I really know about the clearance problem. I just fixed it on my 5er after almost ripping the front cap and side of my truck bed off last week.

I was just wondering if that was the only real advantage with a hauler bed.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:37 PM   #26

I just upgraded from my F 350. It actually is better in parking lots.Click image for larger version

Name:	2235.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	296176
sbpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:25 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
Oh, I really know about the clearance problem. I just fixed it on my 5er after almost ripping the front cap and side of my truck bed off last week.

I was just wondering if that was the only real advantage with a hauler bed.

How much clearance did you have? What did you do to fix it? How much clearance do you have after the fix?
Old 08-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Howdy!

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
I am not sure about that.I have 6 1/2 clearance with my 2008 WolfPack 295Wp and my 2020 RAM 3500 Tradesman CC 4x4 dually diesel. I hitched up (I park on a sloped unlevel surface) and had good measurements, so I pulled it to the long flat surface and verified. My 3500 did squat more than I thought it would when hitched. About the same as the 2500 did, but I believe it settled onto the load springs.

I am running 85 series tires instead of the 80 series. So my trailer is slightly taller than stock. But no other trailer adjustments have been done.

Tags
purchase