Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2020, 10:14 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
I have a B&W companion hitch hooked to a stock 2020 GM DRW and I guess I got lucky. I hooked up our Riverstone with the B&W in the middle setting without measuring anything (this was my first fiver after years of pulling from the bumper) and it was pretty much dead level on level grounds and had in between 7 to 8 inches of clearance to the bed and I still had at least 6 inches of clearance on the raised Retrax bed-cover rails.

Thanks for the insight!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2020, 10:38 AM   #44

I have a 2018 Ram 2500 Megacab, and this is what I would suggest. Go test drive them all back to back to back over the same route, see which one you like the best. When we did that my wife and I both liked the Ram the best. They are all solid trucks, the ford felt just like my work truck (which is a ford) and therefore I didn't care for it, the chevy felt to carlike to me.

2006 Keystone Raptor 3712
waterjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:00 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
So I should take:

Height of Fifth Wheel - (Height of Truck Bed - 2”) = Bed Clearance?
That's how I would do it. Make sure the trailer is level when measuring and factor that if your truck's rear end is high it should squat a bit and get more level loaded. Either way you'll have some adjustment on truck and 5er hitch.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterjosh View Post
I have a 2018 Ram 2500 Megacab, and this is what I would suggest. Go test drive them all back to back to back over the same route, see which one you like the best. When we did that my wife and I both liked the Ram the best. They are all solid trucks, the ford felt just like my work truck (which is a ford) and therefore I didn't care for it, the chevy felt to carlike to me.
I noticed you have a 2006 Mckenzie 5er. Any chance you have a picture of it? I guess it is similar to our 2006 Mckenzie lakota.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 07:59 PM   #47

New Truck Purchase Imminent

So we drove all 3 today...

-Ram is out. Rough ride and I found the Aisin quite rough as well.

-Ford and GMC are the main contenders. We found the ride and transmission equally as smooth and comfortable in both.

-GMC, in our opinion, has a better dash set up, better cameras, heads up display and rear view mirror camera.

-Ford won for exterior aesthetics and has adaptive cruise control.

This one is tough...
Old 08-10-2020, 08:46 PM   #48

Quote:
So we drove all 3 today...

-Ram is out. Rough ride and I found the Aisin quite rough as well.

-Ford and GMC are the main contenders. We found the ride and transmission equally as smooth and comfortable in both.

-GMC, in our opinion, has a better dash set up, better cameras, heads up display and rear view mirror camera.

-Ford won for exterior aesthetics and has adaptive cruise control.

This one is tough...
Dude, adaptive cruise control is amazing. I drove to Alaska and back last summer, 14k miles total over 3 months. ACC makes it so nice. The only time I won't use it is in the mountains. Going uphill I think it wastes fuel. Going downhill it'll engage your brakes. I prefer to use my exhaust brake almost exclusively on downhills and save my disk brakes.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:56 PM   #49

You know you can always flip a coin.

Between Ford and GM is a tough choice for sure. Did one feel more powerful or one slightly smoother?

Remember the GM has Independent Front Suspension. Does the GM have push button start? Ford has adaptive cruise [emoji106]
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 11:36 PM   #50

Adaptive cruise is nice; that might be the one and only thing I wish my 2020 GM had. I love everything else about the truck, especially the cameras, the 10-speed, and the power and cooling capacity of the Duramax.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:36 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
You know you can always flip a coin.

Between Ford and GM is a tough choice for sure. Did one feel more powerful or one slightly smoother?

Remember the GM has Independent Front Suspension. Does the GM have push button start? Ford has adaptive cruise [emoji106]

The GM may have been a tad bit smoother. I think Adaptive Cruise is a big feature. With that said, does it outweigh ya HUD, that rear view mirror option and , from what I can tell, better cameras?

This really is tough.
Old 08-11-2020, 04:37 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
Adaptive cruise is nice; that might be the one and only thing I wish my 2020 GM had. I love everything else about the truck, especially the cameras, the 10-speed, and the power and cooling capacity of the Duramax.

I cannot believe that GM doesn’t offer this on an $80,000 truck, but you can get it on a $30,000 SUV...
Old 08-11-2020, 05:18 AM   #53

Adaptive cruise is standard on a Toyota Corolla.

I bet I use adaptive cruise 90% of the time when making a longer trip. Who ever came up with that idea should get a big promotion. It takes a lot of fatigue out of long travel.

HUD vs Adaptive Cruise - tough choice, but I pick adaptive cruise. That way I do not need to see my speed as much and makes HUD a tiny bit less important.

I have a 2017 F-250 Lariat with the Lariat Ultimate Package. That gives me the key pad and push button start. I like the way Ford unlocks the door with the FOB in your pocket. I never touch the FOB. I lock the door by pressing the last two digits on the key pad. When I want to get back into the truck I just touch the door handle and it unlocks. Never do I reach into my pocket to get the FOB.

I am outside doing lawn work. I need a pair of pliers from the tool bag I keep in the truck. I do not need to go into the house to get the FOB. I just use the key pad, unlock the truck and get my pliers. When done I put the pliers back and hit the last two digits on the key pad and the truck locks.

That key pad and push button start feature is bigger than adaptive cruise and HUD to me. Using a physical key is really old fashion.

I had the key pad on my 2012 F-450 and used it on occasion. This truck needed a physical key to start it so I needed the keys in my hand anyway. I would hit the unlock door function on the FOB. The key pad is a bigger deal if you also have push button start.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 06:24 AM   #54

Does anyone have any feedback about how well it works when towing on the Ford?

It will be around a 80/20 split between everyday driver and towing, so it will be a nice feature.

Ford is definitely the most expensive and, it seems, the hardest to get to discount.
Old 08-11-2020, 05:01 PM   #55

Quote:
Ram is out. Rough ride and I found the Aisin quite rough as well.
I guess every one is different. One of the top reasons I bought the 2019 Ram DRW was because my perception was the unladen ride was the best of the the three. The Ram I drove (and bought) has the air suspension. That might have been the difference. All I can say is I couldn't be happier with this truck, smooth, quiet and powerful.

Rick
Riley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 05:53 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley1 View Post
I guess every one is different. One of the top reasons I bought the 2019 Ram DRW was because my perception was the unladen ride was the best of the the three. The Ram I drove (and bought) has the air suspension. That might have been the difference. All I can say is I couldn't be happier with this truck, smooth, quiet and powerful.

Rick

I couldn’t find one around here with air suspension. I feel the GMC Denali actually has the best ride.

I don’t know if I’m being ridiculous with Adaptive Cruise Control being a deal breaker. The DW likes the GMC better. There are features on the GMC that are awesome and not available on the Ford, but you cannot get ACC on the GMC.

Tags
purchase