Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2021, 05:02 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
New Truck - What Should I Do to It?

Hello All,

I ordered a new F350 XLT SRW 6.7 L Powerstroke (6'10" bed) which should be here within a week or two. This is my first full size truck and my first diesel. Our plan is to begin with short trips and week long vacations until we retire (approx. 5 years) and then begin taking longer trips frequently. We will be buying our travel trailer in about five or six months (25-30 foot bumper pull in the 7500 to 9000 lb range). In the meantime, I am hoping for advice on upgrades/mods to do to the truck. I know I will be needing a drop hitch (I have a utility trailer that I will pull with it occasionally) and have ordered a few minor gadgets for it. Any advice from you experienced folks would be appreciated.

Some things I have been looking into are bed covers, rack systems, tool boxes, mud flaps, fog lights, light bars, etc. There are so many choices in so many price ranges that it is hard to figure out what to get (especially after draining the bank account for the truck). Any advice on stuff that is needed vs. stuff that is not? Please let me know what you think...

Regards,

John
johns1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2021, 05:26 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns1959 View Post
Hello All,

I ordered a new F350 XLT SRW 6.7 L Powerstroke (6'10" bed) which should be here within a week or two. This is my first full size truck and my first diesel. Our plan is to begin with short trips and week long vacations until we retire (approx. 5 years) and then begin taking longer trips frequently. We will be buying our travel trailer in about five or six months (25-30 foot bumper pull in the 7500 to 9000 lb range). In the meantime, I am hoping for advice on upgrades/mods to do to the truck. I know I will be needing a drop hitch (I have a utility trailer that I will pull with it occasionally) and have ordered a few minor gadgets for it. Any advice from you experienced folks would be appreciated.

Some things I have been looking into are bed covers, rack systems, tool boxes, mud flaps, fog lights, light bars, etc. There are so many choices in so many price ranges that it is hard to figure out what to get (especially after draining the bank account for the truck). Any advice on stuff that is needed vs. stuff that is not? Please let me know what you think...

Regards,

John
With a nice heavy spec truck like you have any 20~37' trailer could be pulled very easy with not much more than a weight distrobution/sway control hitch.

As for the bed cover I like truxedo , buy direct from there web page. good prices fast service and good service after the sale if needed.

If your in a cold area maybe thing about Fia winter grill cover the speed up cold weather starts and getting heat in the truck.
Old 05-02-2021, 05:36 PM   #3

The truck is more than up to towing your load. You might want to get one of the premium weight distributing hitches, however.

I would suggest getting a spray in bed liner.

Have you considered going with a fifth wheel instead of a travel trailer? They tow so much better if you're going to be towing often and very far.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 05:41 PM   #4

Skip the rack system, light bar, mud flaps and tool box. I'd get a bedcover. I've had a Backflip 4 panel on my F350 SRW and it was pretty good. I've now got a rolling solid cover on my F350 DRW longbed. Both work great, but the rolling cover takes up some bed space and given you've got a shortbed, that might be a problem. Not sure what size fuel tank your truck has, but I added a 50 gal replacement Titan tank to my SRW. Get yourself a dashcam that records front view and inside the cab view. You'll be surprised how many drivers cause you problems while towing and having some video evidence is pretty nice to have.
Gsykora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 06:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns1959 View Post
Are you going to use any of those things? Often enough to justify the expense?

I really like spending money on cool stuff but over the last serval years I have been trying to do much better about not buying it unless you have a need. I know it is not as much fun, but my bank account and wife like it a lot more.

My newest pick up is a 2016 that I bought new and is still mostly stock. I do use my truck so I added a spray in liner. I like being able to leave my windows cracked in all weather so I put slim window covers on. Of course I have appropriate hitches for my trailers. After pulling my large trailer I did spring for a 50gal aux tank with toolbox.

I always think lights, bumper, winch, etc are very cool, but I would rarely, if ever use them. That keeps me from buying them. On my SxS I have all of that stuff and it gets used frequently.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 07:14 PM   #6

I always heard adding flames along the sides added 15 HP.

Seriously - spray in bedliner then either a bed cover or I want a cap. With a cap you can keep bigger stuff in the bed or better yet turn it into a sleeping area. I watch YouTube videos of young men who turn the cap into a truck camper.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 10:22 PM   #7

Sprayed liner is nice but a horse stall mat is a lot cheaper and just as good.
A Diamondback tonneau is the gold standard IMHO for security. Their HD model can support ATVs!
If you have LED headlights see if your truck can use the Jimmi Jammer hood latch guard to protect your $2800 worth of lights! Some can not use them.
Definitely get the Jimmi Jammer door lock security kit - Ford doors are easily jimmied.
Start adding Archoil AR6500 diesel treatment at every fill up and Archoil AR9100 oil treatment at every oil change. The fuel treatment is arguably more important.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:39 PM   #8

Ford F250 truck owner gas.

Spend the $ to get good rustproofing. Maybe Crown. Mud flaps and slim window guards. That way you can have the window slightly cracked open and the rain won't come in. Get floor mats Sams club. Invest in good seat covers. You truck will look brand new in the seats many years down the line. JC Whitney is a good source for parts. Best of luck with your new truck. Love Lucas products some available at Walmart.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 11:11 PM   #9

We bought a F-350 DRW oil burner truck. Bought Weather Tech floor liners and mud flaps for the truck. I do not care for spray in bed liners.

The truck sits high and my Wife insisted on AMP Research powerstep running boards. I was not in agreement with her primarily because of the price tag on the AMP product.. I will say they work great.

I bought a Curt brand 20k drop hitch. The 2.5 inch size unit with dual ball design insert. 2 inch and 2 5/16 ball. I liked the all steel deign of the Curt unit. My F-350 came with a 3 inch hitch receiver and a reducer to 2.5 inch, so I just bought the 2.5 hitch. I remove the hitch and keep it under the rear seat when not in use.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:01 AM   #10

So far I kinda like the horse stall mat vs a spray in bed liner. I paid $525 for my spray in bedliner after market. The only thing is a spray in bedliner gets the sides of the bed.

Weather tech floor mats are great. I have been using them since 2006. I like that idea too.

Diesel fuel - use the new 'Diesel Efficient' fuel if available. In my research it is a tiny bit better (burns more complete, tiny bit better mpg) than #2 diesel. In theroy your truck will do fewer regens. Exxon and Mobil sell it I think. Read up on it yourself to see what it is as about.

I also like the bed cover. Not as much as a cap unless towing a 5th wheel. A cap is out then.

Enjoy the powerful engine.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:17 AM   #11

Only YOU know what accessories may be beneficial to you vs just for looks or giggles.

Things I really appreciate on mine? A really good sprayed-on bedliner. It allows you to throw just about anything in the bed without fear of scratching or dents.

I have huge mudflaps front and rear. Some people hate the looks of them, but flaps are mandatory here past a certain ground clearance anyway. Wide and long ones really minimize the damage and stone chips the fenders, rocker panels and even sides receive. My front ones are 20" wide and I made them contour the wheelwell. They protect the running boards, floors, frame and brake and fuel lines a lot.

Running boards! 1 ton 4x4s are typically tall.

A toolbox/tank combo allow neat and plentiful storage as well as extended range. Only downfall is loss of some bed space.

Rustproofing depending on where you live and drive. These trucks aren't cheap and I wanted mine to last as long as possible and keep its resale value.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 05:22 AM   #12

That truck is ready to do that job as is. Probably won't even need a wd hitch, a standard hitch will do. Our F-350 didn't need it with a 31' TT.

Accessories: mud flaps, Diamondback HD tonneau, rubber bed mat.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:01 PM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
With a nice heavy spec truck like you have any 20~37' trailer could be pulled very easy with not much more than a weight distrobution/sway control hitch.

As for the bed cover I like truxedo , buy direct from there web page. good prices fast service and good service after the sale if needed.

If your in a cold area maybe thing about Fia winter grill cover the speed up cold weather starts and getting heat in the truck.
Thanks XC-Mark I have looked at the Truxedo covers. Which model do you have?

Regards,

John
Old 05-03-2021, 06:05 PM   #14

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
The truck is more than up to towing your load. You might want to get one of the premium weight distributing hitches, however.

I would suggest getting a spray in bed liner.

Have you considered going with a fifth wheel instead of a travel trailer? They tow so much better if you're going to be towing often and very far.
Thanks Bamaman, I ordered the truck with the factory spray in liner. I plan to sue a WD hitch but will wait until I select the trailer to get that. My wife is not sure about the 5ers so we are going to start with a TT...

Regards,

John