RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2019, 04:05 PM   #43

Truck

I have a 2500 Ram and I use that pulling a TT 30ft. to which I have no problems pulling. This is also my everyday truck. I have pulled this TT in the mountains without any problems. It is a gas job with the 5.7 Hemi in it. I did the Alaska Highway with the whole outfit and I never had any problems. Got fuel when needed, hills didn't push it, nor through the mountains. You can't go wrong with this truck. You will be better off and a 1500 you pulling with that kind of weight can lead to transmission troubles or mechanical problems. You will like it much better the 2500, it is meant for that type of towing.
ashman155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #44

Go 3/4 ton, 4wd

Ever brake an axle shaft on a semi floating axle? Why I would never put a camper on, or tow a travel trailer with one! I would also opt for 4WD, as it gets you low gears for steep hills, traction for mud and snow, and on the new trucks doesn't negatively affect the ride. Nothing like having a little insurance to save you tow bills and inconvenience!
Moosejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:37 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
This is my first post on irv2 and I'm very grateful to have found this great resource for camping.

I am very new to the camping world and my wife and I, (no kids), just bought a used 34í travel trailer and need to buy a pickup to pull it with. I was hoping to get a 1/2 ton truck because it will be my daily driver and a 1/2 ton is just a bit more convenient.

However, the more I research I am thinking a 3/4 ton truck might be a better idea. We are going south in the winter to Texas from South Dakota, so we will be putting some miles on it. And we plan to see other parts of the country as well.

Can anyone deduce from the specs below that, yes we should get a 3/4 ton? Or should we go through the calculations to figure it out? Is there a link to that?

At first I thought I could install Firestone Ride Rite or some air bags on a 1/2 ton pickup and we would be good to go. But the more I read maybe a 3/4 ton would be the right choice?

Our camper does come with the ďEqual-iz-erĒ WD system, if that helps. And for what itís worth, I drove 18 wheelers years ago for a living so I have no qualms about pulling a trailer.

TIA for any advice.

2015 Forest River RV Salem Hemisphere Lite 272RLIS

Sleeps --5
Slides -- 2
Length ------ 34 ft 4 in
Ext Height ---11 ft
Hitch Weight -- 845 lbs
Dry Weight ----- 6975 lbs
Cargo Weight ---2351 lbs
Fresh Water Capacity -35 gals
Grey Water Capacity - 48 gals
Black Water Capacity -30 gals
Tire Size - 15"

EDIT: I forgot to mention that if we go with a 1/2 ton pickup I would want one with the larger engine, ie, GMC 6.2L V8.
Donít even think about a 1/2 T! I would strongly urge you to get on you tube and go to Big Truck Big RV and watch his videos about towing with a 1/2T he can explain it far better than I. Basically your trailer is to long and to heavy for the 1/2T chassis, towing the trailer is just one small part of towing, controlling and braking are the BIG factors, I know the truck manufacturers claim they can tow that much, but you have to read the fine print, the truck they advertise is a base model 2 dr long bed with proper special equipment that hardly anyone buys. Every accessory you add takes tow capacity away. If you get a crew cab pretty much weíll equipped it will be doing good to control a 23 TT with a gross weight of 6000#. Based on your info you are looking at at least a 3/4T and possibly a 1T single rear wheel truck. When you are passed by a big truck the rear of your trailer is going to move away from the big truck making the front turn toward the big rig making your pickup head toward the ditch, the as the big rig gets to the front of your trailer the exact opposite occurs. Thatís when you need the heavier chassis and firmer suspension that the 1/2T doesnít have. Then when someone pulls out in front of you the heavier brakes will help you control that trailer when itís trying to jackknife behind you. The weight youíll be pulling will be closer to the loaded cargo capacity just due normal loading and souvenirs you pick up. The unloaded weight doesnít figure propane, food, clothing, nothing, itís what it weighed coming off the assembly line. Several years ago I pulled a 24.5í TT that grossed out at 6000# with a 1/2T long bed truck and it was a handful, I did that one season then traded up to a bigger truck, what a difference! Good luck hope this helps.
Grandpa5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:38 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionut View Post
Thanks for that perspective. I never thought of that combined weight. Wow, I am such a rookie here.
Better to ask before you buy than after... There are no dumb questions when it comes to safety
greenchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 06:54 PM   #47

Go with a 3/4 with a diesel. I started with a 1/2 ton and soon found it was to much trailer, 35í, for the 1/2 ton. We just went to AZ from MN and back and the 3/4 ton was great up and down the mountains. I set the cruise and it maintained the speed by using the engine break on the downside.
Charcuterie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 09:20 PM   #48

We have a Dodge Diesel 2500 long bed and love it for our 5th Wheel Trailer... At the moment not loving our 5th wheel trailer .. hahahahaha....
It pulls with ease and comfort especially after he put air bags on them. Something to think about....
RVing family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashman155 View Post
I have a 2500 Ram and I use that pulling a TT 30ft. to which I have no problems pulling. This is also my everyday truck. I have pulled this TT in the mountains without any problems. It is a gas job with the 5.7 Hemi in it. I did the Alaska Highway with the whole outfit and I never had any problems. Got fuel when needed, hills didn't push it, nor through the mountains. You can't go wrong with this truck. You will be better off and a 1500 you pulling with that kind of weight can lead to transmission troubles or mechanical problems. You will like it much better the 2500, it is meant for that type of towing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosejr View Post
Ever brake an axle shaft on a semi floating axle? Why I would never put a camper on, or tow a travel trailer with one! I would also opt for 4WD, as it gets you low gears for steep hills, traction for mud and snow, and on the new trucks doesn't negatively affect the ride. Nothing like having a little insurance to save you tow bills and inconvenience!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa5x View Post
Donít even think about a 1/2 T! I would strongly urge you to get on you tube and go to Big Truck Big RV and watch his videos about towing with a 1/2T he can explain it far better than I. Basically your trailer is to long and to heavy for the 1/2T chassis, towing the trailer is just one small part of towing, controlling and braking are the BIG factors, I know the truck manufacturers claim they can tow that much, but you have to read the fine print, the truck they advertise is a base model 2 dr long bed with proper special equipment that hardly anyone buys. Every accessory you add takes tow capacity away. If you get a crew cab pretty much weíll equipped it will be doing good to control a 23 TT with a gross weight of 6000#. Based on your info you are looking at at least a 3/4T and possibly a 1T single rear wheel truck. When you are passed by a big truck the rear of your trailer is going to move away from the big truck making the front turn toward the big rig making your pickup head toward the ditch, the as the big rig gets to the front of your trailer the exact opposite occurs. Thatís when you need the heavier chassis and firmer suspension that the 1/2T doesnít have. Then when someone pulls out in front of you the heavier brakes will help you control that trailer when itís trying to jackknife behind you. The weight youíll be pulling will be closer to the loaded cargo capacity just due normal loading and souvenirs you pick up. The unloaded weight doesnít figure propane, food, clothing, nothing, itís what it weighed coming off the assembly line. Several years ago I pulled a 24.5í TT that grossed out at 6000# with a 1/2T long bed truck and it was a handful, I did that one season then traded up to a bigger truck, what a difference! Good luck hope this helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenchicken View Post
Better to ask before you buy than after... There are no dumb questions when it comes to safety
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charcuterie View Post
Go with a 3/4 with a diesel. I started with a 1/2 ton and soon found it was to much trailer, 35í, for the 1/2 ton. We just went to AZ from MN and back and the 3/4 ton was great up and down the mountains. I set the cruise and it maintained the speed by using the engine break on the downside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVing family View Post
We have a Dodge Diesel 2500 long bed and love it for our 5th Wheel Trailer... At the moment not loving our 5th wheel trailer .. hahahahaha....
It pulls with ease and comfort especially after he put air bags on them. Something to think about....

I appreciate all the input on this, and I just want to update. I never wanted a 3/4 ton, and most certainly didn't want a diesel.

But, guess what I got?

We bought a 2015 GMC Sierra SLT, 2500, Duramax diesel, with all the bells and whistles. It is a beautiful truck, and the ride is not bad!

I totally understand all the concerns about a 1/2 ton with this size of TT and want to thank you all for helping me make the right choice in towing vehicle.

GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD, Duramax
Audionut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #50

Wooohooo Congratulations on your Diesel truck !!! Wishing you many safe years with your trailer and truck adventures !!!
RVing family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 03:31 PM   #51

Congrats on the new to you pickup! I strongly recommend joining a forum specific to duramax pickups or with a section that is.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVing family View Post
Wooohooo Congratulations on your Diesel truck !!! Wishing you many safe years with your trailer and truck adventures !!!

Thanks! Can't wait to hit the road and just go where the wind blows.
Audionut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 07:25 AM   #53

You will receive all kinds of advice regarding the 1/2 ton vs the 3/4 ton but just remember to size the truck for the future trailer you may pull.... nothing worse than needed to replace the truck when you upsize the trailer. One more piece of advise about gas versus diesel, first know how you intend to use the truck and the answer will be self evident and not someone's opinion.
Walt Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:30 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackrash View Post
Ya, we agree, the 2020s will command a premium at least for a while. But the 2019s will make someone a great truck for a relatively reasonable price.
I just took my own advice and picked up a 2019 Sierra 3500 DRW Denali on a red-tag closeout. I was going to wait for the 2020s, but I figured I'd drive this one and wait till the 2020s go on closeout next year and swap if the 2020s are all that. I am pretty stoked right now.
jjackrash is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice