Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2018, 05:58 AM   #1

NewB Help needed with towing goosneck with Ram 2500

Hello and thank u for looking. So here is my question. I need to get a trailer to put my Vintage 1955 GMC cannonball semi truck on top of to haul it around while restoring it. I have a 2017 Ram 2500 mega cab, 4x4, SRW, auto, Cummins, with factory goosneck and 5 wheel receiver. I have been looking at goosneck trailer but I don’t think my truck can pull it. Reason being, my vintage truck weighs 11,000 pounds. I have been looking at a big Tex 20+5 goosneck with a G.V.W.R. RATING: 15,900 TRAILER WEIGHT: 4,780
TRAILER PAYLOAD 11,120. My ram says max tow is 15,440. The GVWR of the ram is 10,000. So that basically puts me over. The truck says 15,440 and my semi truck with trailer is 15,780 dry. That puts me over 340 not including whatever else I have in the truck. Am I screwed? What would u guys do? Obviously the trailer salesman says “it’s no problem, that truck can pull way more than that”. I wanted to tell him, so u are right and ram is wrong? He said, they give u those specs on bumper pull and goosneck is much more. But all the research I have been looking at tonight says it’s the same. Please help. Thank u in advance.
Ocnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #2

The 15540 is your max tow rating. Have you weighed your semi somewhere? If it's 11k without all components then I'd be hesitant to pull it. Also, you're awful close to the max for your trailer too. I'd be concerned with everything overloaded
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:07 PM   #3

How far do you need to pull it and can you stay at a slower speed, say 45 - 55 mph? I just traveled 100 miles on Rt 1. Not too bad and 35 - 60 mph speed limits.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:21 PM   #4

Back and fourth would be only 3 miles. But some trips to shows would be about 50 miles. But when the vintage semi truck is done being restored, I probably wouldn’t be ever towing that much again with it. Then when my lease is up in about 2 years, I am definitely getting a 3500 dually.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
How far do you need to pull it and can you stay at a slower speed, say 45 - 55 mph? I just traveled 100 miles on Rt 1. Not too bad and 35 - 60 mph speed limits.
Back and fourth would be only 3 miles. But some trips to shows would be about 50 miles. But when the vintage semi truck is done being restored, I probably wouldn’t be ever towing that much again with it. Then when my lease is up in about 2 years, I am definitely getting a 3500 dually.
Old 03-05-2018, 09:36 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocnick View Post
My ram says max tow is 15,440. The GVWR of the ram is 10,000. ... Am I screwed? What would u guys do?
The max tow rating is not very important, It just tells you the max weight you can pull up hills and mountain passes without overheating anything in the drivetrain. So if you exceed the tow rating, then stay off of roads that have steep hills and mountain passes.

GVWR is the serious limiter. When properly loaded to have 20% hitch weight, your gooseneck trailer will have at least 3,156 pounds on the ball. That leaves only 6,844 pounds for the weight of the wet and loaded truck.

If your wet and loaded truck weighs more than 6,850, and you don't want to upgrade to a dually yet, then forgetabout the gooseneck trailer and get a "bumper pull" equipment trailer.
Here's one:

Big Tex Trailers 20ED/AD Pintle Equipment Transport | Big Tex Trailers

Trailer weight 7020 + 11k cargo = 18,020.

Properly loaded to have 13% tongue weight (TW), that's about 2,350 TW.

10,000 GVWR minus 2350 TW = 7,650 for the weight of the wet and loaded truck. If you cannot get the weight of the truck down to 7,650, then your next step is to trade for a dually.

That trailer has a pintle hitch. Not my area of expertise. So determine if your truck's receiver can handle a pintle hitch with 2,350 pounds hitch weight before you order the trailer. If not, you may be able to replace the receiver with one that will handle that trailer.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #7

I pull GN trailer part time now but did it full time some year ago. One of my GN is a 16k triaxle stock trailer with 7k axles. Trailers like this can be loaded for any size truck.

What the dealer is saying the truck can handle that size GN trailer fine. Keep in mind the truck makers numbers doesn't mean the truck blows up or wears our premature if over a payload/GCWR/GVWR. These truck don't carry a gcwr on a sticker anyways.

The 2500 drive train/engine has a 17900 lb tow rating in crew cab trucks and is the same setup in one ton Ram trucks so we know that size GN trailer won't be too much for the trucks drivetrain/engine.

Your biggest issue is hitch load. The Mega cab has a 6500 rawr. Your trucks rear axle may weigh in the 3200-3300 lb range leaving it with a usable 3200 lb load in the bed.
The beauty of a flatbed trailer carrying your classic semi is it can be placed on the trailer to accomplish any hitch loads as needed.
Scaled front and rear axle weights are necessary. Biggest reason is safety...and what your hauling will be a huge DOT target. So make sure your under axle/tire load limits and under any registered weights if your state requires them. Drop by your local state troop and ask them how you should comply.
You may need a not for hire magnetic sign on the doors.

Please don't mess with a bumper pull trailer this size. I've pulled them with one ton DRW trucks and they are a serious handful even with them. Again check with your dot guys.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #8

The last thing you want with weight like that is a "bumper pull" trailer; stick with the GN. You can easily move the truck you're hauling around on the trailer to lessen the pin weight. The GCWR isn't listed on the truck and isn't legally enforceable so I really wouldn't worry about it. You are towing very short distances and are very close to the ratings of the truck. I would think it would be fine. I tow over the ratings of my trucks from time to time if the job and equipment I'm hauling require it. I keep everything in good repair, drive like i have some sense, and don't exceed tire, axle, or hitch ratings. Those are the ones that really matter.
You will be a DOT target. Do you have the potential to win any money or prizes at these shows? If so, believe it or not, you are technically commercial. You could be required to have a CDL, DOT number, etc.
I have a relative who races motorcycles. He had sponsor stickers all over his big hauler trailer and kept getting pulled over by DOT. He took all the stickers off the trailer and now it's just a big white trailer going down the road. Now the DOT leaves him alone. Not exactly a legal fix but it worked for him.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #9

Hire someone with a 5500 and a "western body" on the back to move it, Probably won't cost a lot and much easier than worrying about your marginal 2500 doing it.

Charles

Tags
tow, towing