Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #1

Newb With Some Leaf Spring Questions

Hi All,

Complete trailer noob and I just purchased my first toy hauler. Its a 2015 with (3) axles. While I was inspecting the leaf springs I noticed that most of the "Rebound Clips" are loose or opened up like in the picture below. I was able to use some clamps to bend one back almost perfectly but stopped and wondered if they are supposed to be like this?

The picture below shows the rebound clip loose and the other picture shows one tight and secure (I did not tighten this one). It also looks like part of the leaf spring has a small separation, should I get this checked out?

Thanks all!
Trailer3321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 07:47 PM   #2

Have a trailer suspension shop check it out. I took my TT to one that also does commercial trailers. They replaced my springs. They are fairly cheap. I had them install sumo-springs too.
Pappion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:58 PM   #3

You did good !!!
Open or missing rebound clips lets the leaf pack open...then close violently when a wheel drops in a big pothole which can break a spring. The clips also keeps the spring from slapping which is noisy and can be dangerous over time.
Also a open or missing clip can let the leafs move around especially when making tight turns ....and over time lead to broken U bolts.

I've had a commercial trailer fail its annual safety inspection for a open clip just like your picture.
Again ...good catch.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:00 AM   #4

I sure would consider changing the specialty trailer tires out to commercial light truck tires... I've personally never have had good luck with those specialty tires...
Old 05-20-2019, 07:09 AM   #5

Easy fix. Put a jack under the bottom of the little strap to close up the spring gap and to hold it firm, them wack them closed with a hammer. They probably took a good bump or pothole by the previous owner, but you can fix them and keep rolling.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #6

Awesome! Thanks for all the responses, everyone. The explanations helped a lot. I’ve been spending some time researching up on this stuff since the post and glad to see that the trailer parts and hopefully service are relatively inexpensive. I’m a capable DIY’er but I’m a tad nervous about jack points and getting this large sucker up.

Thanks again.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:46 AM   #7

tad nervous about jack points and getting this large sucker up

You don't need to jack it up to the point you are lifting wheels. Just enough to keep the strap snug against the bottom of the spring pack.

While we're on this subject, you need to make sure that you have a sufficient jack and lug wrench to change a flat tire. Not all tow vehicle jacks will work. Mostly because they may not go low enough to get under with a flat tire. And certainly most do not have the same lug size. it is always a good idea to make sure you have the tools needed BEFORE you go anywhere and BEFORE you have a flat. Searching for a different jack or lug wrench after the flat happens never works out well.

I carry one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Performance-T.../dp/B000N37E9O

I also carry a wood block in the back of the truck at all times. You never know when it will happen and it seems to not happen sitting on a perfect surface. You also need to do a practice tire change. Make sure you can do it quickly in case it happens during a high traffic time. It may seem stupid but I keep one of these under the truck seat too. I'd rather look stupid then get a bumper at 70 mph.

https://www.amazon.com/SHORFUNE-Visi...sr=1-3-catcorr

And I always carry a good light with fresh batteries.
Old 05-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #8

Charliez, regarding jacking it up I meant do I jack up the trailer by the frame or the axle to change the tire? As I mentioned the trailer has (3) axles and weighs about 5400 lbs so I don’t want to put a bunch of stress on one axles, or would I use 2 jacks on the axles?
Old 05-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #9

Some will say to not jack it under the axles, and jack it by the frame. Problem with that is your going to have a tough time finding a jack that will go that high, or your going to create a dangerous situation blocking a jack that high. As you lift the frame, the geometry of the suspension is made so the tire will stay on the ground. To overcome this, you will have to have a lot of lift.

I have lifted my trailer by placing the jack right under the axle where it meets the spring and have never had an issue. There is usually a flat plate under the axle. That's where I put it. Don't ever place the jack directly on the round tube.

You can get a wedgie devices but I don't like them. They lift one tire high enough that the other one comes off the ground. With three axles you may need two. The more popular kind is circular wedge that lifts the tire as you roll over it. I didn't see an example of that.

https://www.amazon.com/Trailer-Aid-T...gateway&sr=8-9

Never lift your trailer using the stabilizer jacks. They aren't built for it. You can use them to assist once it's jacked up to help keep it stable but maybe not if your changing a tire in traffic. You would want to change and go.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:51 PM   #10

Great advice, I won’t be taking the trailer out for at least a month so that should give me some time to familiarize myself with it and get all the proper tools.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 05-20-2019, 07:52 PM   #11

Just spent about 20 minutes using a C clamp bending back the clamps. Looks good as new. Easy peasy.