Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #1

NEWBIE here.. Needing guidance RAM 1500 and Travel Trailer

Hey all. I have some questions and I hope its not TOO much.

I am looking to buy a new truck and travel trailer.

My question is....
Almost every time I speak to someone about a Travel Trailer they tell me immediately, (many times without even knowing what travel trailer I'm looking at) and recommend a 2500 diesel.

Are there any reasons that the 2019 RAM cannot safely haul this camper?

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking at THIS trailer --> https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...-feather/27rl/

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) View Definition 5755
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) View Definition 650
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) View Definition 7000
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) View Definition 1245

I'm also looking at the 2019 RAM 1500 5.7L / 3.92 gear.

I ran the known weights through the Travel Trailer Calculator (found from this forum). There were some numbers I didnt know what to put.

Calculation Results Weight (lb)* Weight (kg)*
Maximum Trailer Weight
This is the maximum trailer weight based on the most restrictive tow vehicle ratings provided (GCWR - GVWR).

9,900 lb 4,491 kg
Maximum Trailer Weight with Margin
This is the maximum trailer weight based on the most restrictive tow vehicle ratings provided, reduced by a safety margin of 20%.

7,920 lb 3,592 kg
Maximum Tongue Weight
This is the recommended maximum tongue weight, based on 15% of the calculated Maximum Trailer Weight.

1,485 lb 674 kg
Maximum Tongue Weight with Margin
This is the recommended maximum tongue weight, based on 15% of the calculated Maximum Trailer Weight with Margin.

1,188 lb 539 kg

Thanks,
Dave
RMH_DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2018, 08:14 AM   #2

I tow a bigger trailer with my max tow 2016 Big Horn. I've been up to 8k feet and back down multiple times, and never felt the truck was not capable.

My trailer can get up to 8k fully loaded.

Now, if you ever want to flirt with a trailer in the 10k+ range, then recommend 2500 all the way! Our next trailer will be multi-slide, so will need to upgrade. But until that day, enjoy your half-ton hauler.

Danny5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:27 AM   #3

Two things to consider. Whats the sticker on the door say for Cargo Carrying Capacity?
And 2nd that TT only has 1245 lbs (Brochure) for cargo. Thats really low. Thats before propane and a battery (s) It will be around 1100 lbs. That means that TT will be close to or maxed out when loaded. Average gear people take seems to be around 1,000 lbs from what I've read over the years. Even at 700-800 lbs means you close to maxing out the suspension and tires.
Power wise your truck will have no issues. A weight distribution hitch with built in sway control is a must.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #4

I have pulled a similar trailer (weight and length) with a 08 Chevrolet 1500. At the time I had a crappy round bar weight distribution hitch. I was never really happy with the way it towed. Any windy day turned it into an uncomfortable, I wouldn’t say white knuckle drive but uncomfortable. Moved up to a 16 2500hd gasser. And a blue ox hitch. The difference is night and day. I always said that the 08 would be the last halfton I ever buy. This 2500 has confirmed that. Just my 2 cents.
randomledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 08:53 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Dave! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Not a TT guy but noticed you are new and wanted to say hello!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 04:04 PM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I am in the same situation, but with a heavier TT. The Ram will tow that TT without a problem. However, you will need to take a close look at the tongue weight and the payload capacity of your truck. I don't know much about the Ram in those regards but I have been researching the F150 and new Silverado 1500. Both can be purchased with a payload in the low 2000lb range which will be fine for us.

Remember, the dry weight of the hitch on the TT does not include propane tanks, batteries, and anything you would place in storage areas in front of the axles. You may find that opnce loaded, you're close to 900-1000lb range. That will lessen the amount of payload you will have available on the Truck, which is measured with a full tank of gas and the driver. Any other passengers, stuff inside and in the bed are extra weight.

With a properly set up weight distribution hitch, the new generation of "1/2 ton" trucks are more than capable towing that trailer. Just get the max towing package and limit the amount of accessories on the truck because that limits payload.
dmatt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #7

I dont own a Ram, but my friend does, and he had to put air bags in his Ram to tow his trailer. Its about the same weight. My mechanic friend says its because the dodge have coil springs in the rear, which give you a good ride, but not the best for towing. Im no expert, just telling you what my friend did, and what my mechanic said about it. Cheers.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I dont own a Ram, but my friend does, and he had to put air bags in his Ram to tow his trailer. Its about the same weight. My mechanic friend says its because the dodge have coil springs in the rear, which give you a good ride, but not the best for towing. Im no expert, just telling you what my friend did, and what my mechanic said about it. Cheers.
Its not because of the coil springs really, its because of the rates of those particular springs. If a vehicle rides nicely unloaded it will be dragging when loaded. If it rides nice loaded, its going to be rough unloaded.

To the op, we need the info from your truck to give an educated opinion.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:20 PM   #9

I'm new to this forum, but already notice the same line of questions.

My advice: spend more on the tow vehicle and less on the RV. You'll drive the truck everyday, maybe. You'll love a diesel in traffic and especially pulling. I bought an F250 Powerstroke as a reaction to towing a small 20' camper in my Jeep Rubicon. Sure, it was all within the specs but I had to horse beat the crap out of my Jeep to TRY to maintain the speed limit. My truck with a 29' bumper pull is one finger steering up steep grades on cruise control in 6th gear no downshifts. Butter.

I paid $54k for a NICE XLT FX4 crew cab. You can spend more than that easily on a loaded gasser.
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #10

Regardless of how all the numbers work out there's still the largely subjective "quality of driving experience". A Ram 1500 may be within payload and towing capacity when fully loaded with people, gear, and trailer. It may also mean you need to have both hands on the wheel, takes the curves cautiously, and be well below the posted speed limit on upgrades. That's fine for some. That same trailer behind a 2500 vehicle may be a "one hand on the wheel experience". It may ride better, it may handle better, it may be able to almost keep up with traffic when going up a mountain.
I like my towing to go like this. Hitch trailer, set cruise control on speed limit, steer with one hand while the wife takes a nap. No bounding, swerving, slowing, or worrying. That's why I have a diesel dually as my primary tow rig and a 2500 Suburban as my secondary tow rig.
Old 11-10-2018, 06:01 PM   #11

Hi Dave welcome to wolves den for asking that question. I transport TTs for Forrest River & Airstream from the plants to their dealerships nationwide with a 14 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel to the tune of 483,000 miles.

When truck n wet trailer is set up generally adjusting bedloading, TT loading, & WDH, by CAT scale results to be within Mfg specs & proper tongue weight your truck will tow your loaded trailer safe & stable. Unless you have to put something really heavy in the bed such as a golf cart or ATV in which case you would exceed your 7,100 GVWR and will need a 3/4 ton to carry that legally.

Most common wet weight is almost 1,000 pounds. Round up that makes your wet TT 6,800. Useing WDH & loafing you should set your tongue weight to about 12.5 percent IE 850 pounds which leaves plenty room before exceeding the 7,100 gvwr.
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:59 AM   #12

Definitely get the 3.92 gear ratio. I have a 2019 ram 1500 and pull a bigger TT that is 7k dry. It has a generator and everything onboard. So, I'm at 7,500 to 8,000 lbs loaded. I have an equalizer WDH that is awesome. If you get one, get the nylon pads so it isn't so crazy noisy.

I've done 3 trips in the last 6 weeks. The last one was over a 4,200 ft pass and it was snowing on the way back. The truck had plenty of power to the up the mountain. Just get speed before hills if you can and watch the temperatures. On the way down, use the transmission instead of brakes. On the 2019 1500, if you are in tow mode and touch the brakes coming down, it will downshift and stay in the lower gear until you touch the gas again.

If you don't have a generator built in, and you buy one, that will add weight to the payload.

I don't have the etorque. But if you get that, it will give you some more peak torque and a little better mpg. I would have preferred to have the etorque. But when I bought, I couldn't get the combination I needed and the deal I got on an etorque.

And as was previously mentioned, some of the accessories (rambox, bigger gas tank) will add weight and cut down on your towing capacity.

I'm sure you are planning on it, but make sure you get the trailer brake control and tow mode. For me, I needed to have the stock mirrors since the towing mirrors only manually fold and would make it so I couldn't fit my truck in my garage. So, my truck does not have the tow package, but it has everything in it minus the mirrors (3.92, trailer brake control, tow mode, etc).

I also bought a hitch scale that I use every time before I hitch up the trailer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMH_DAVE View Post
Hey all. I have some questions and I hope its not TOO much.

I am looking to buy a new truck and travel trailer.

My question is....
Almost every time I speak to someone about a Travel Trailer they tell me immediately, (many times without even knowing what travel trailer I'm looking at) and recommend a 2500 diesel.

Are there any reasons that the 2019 RAM cannot safely haul this camper?

Thanks in advance.

I'm looking at THIS trailer --> https://www.jayco.com/products/trave...-feather/27rl/

Unloaded Vehicle Weight (lbs) View Definition5755
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) View Definition650
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (lbs) View Definition7000
Cargo Carrying Capacity (lbs) View Definition1245

I'm also looking at the 2019 RAM 1500 5.7L / 3.92 gear.

I ran the known weights through the Travel Trailer Calculator (found from this forum). There were some numbers I didnt know what to put.

Calculation ResultsWeight (lb)*Weight (kg)*
Maximum Trailer Weight
This is the maximum trailer weight based on the most restrictive tow vehicle ratings provided (GCWR - GVWR).

9,900 lb4,491 kg
Maximum Trailer Weight with Margin
This is the maximum trailer weight based on the most restrictive tow vehicle ratings provided, reduced by a safety margin of 20%.

7,920 lb3,592 kg
Maximum Tongue Weight
This is the recommended maximum tongue weight, based on 15% of the calculated Maximum Trailer Weight.

1,485 lb674 kg
Maximum Tongue Weight with Margin
This is the recommended maximum tongue weight, based on 15% of the calculated Maximum Trailer Weight with Margin.

1,188 lb539 kg

Thanks,
Dave
avigil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:08 PM   #13

Sorry guys I thought I mentioned the truck.

2019 RAM 1500, crew cab with the 5'7" need
3.92 gears with the tow package.
5.7L engine with the 8 speed automatic.
RMH_DAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:17 PM   #14

The newest trucks have the best capability by increasing the wheelbase. The 2019 Ram is one dang nice truck.

Only one way to find out is to try it. I maxed out one of my tow vehicles. I liked how it towed on back roads and used this tow vehicle for 3 years. I even towed on the highway at 62 - 70 mpg getting shoved all over the place by wind or tractor trailer trucks passing me. That was not fun and I describe it as 'white knuckled' driving.

So I say you can tow on back roads driving 45 - 55 mph easier than driving on the highway at 70 mpg.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, trailer, travel, travel trailer