Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2015, 05:01 AM   #15

After all this flap over VW, I would not be suprised if more testing of diesels is started. A basic visual test can get you a $10,000 fine for tampering with a Catalitic Converter. These are not usually enforced, but after what the EPA is going to do to VW in the next few months, I would keep a low profile with a Deleted truck!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2015, 06:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinc2011 View Post
After all this flap over VW, I would not be suprised if more testing of diesels is started. A basic visual test can get you a $10,000 fine for tampering with a Catalitic Converter. These are not usually enforced, but after what the EPA is going to do to VW in the next few months, I would keep a low profile with a Deleted truck!
I agree...and just learned about the vw issue this morning.

Face it, unless the EPA gets put on a very short leash this is our future and will only get worse.

In my state tampering with emmisions will fail inspection, we don't have smog check yet thank the lord.

If there is a system I trust it's designed by cummins.
Wild Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chertz View Post
Curious... what are the ramifications for deleted trucks to sell or trade them in? I have heard most dealers won't touch a deleted truck. Anyone try it yet?
It's all bolt-on/off and quick connect harnessing.
If you can take it off, you can put it back.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I asked earlier if the awesome improved mileage reports were hand calc and did not get an answer.

Bottom line you most likely will NEVER recoup the cost of the deletes. Much cheaper to leave stock and change the oil more often or better yet install a Bi-Pass oil filtration system.
I said in a previous reply that I average 650 miles per tank on road trips, without going deep into the reserve. Not sure how that's not an answer. Hand calc. works out to 22mpg average on road trips with a sustained 24mpg when cruising.

The point of deleting is not recovering the cost via fuel economy. That's a perk.
It's health and longevity of the engine (just like the 5.9) and added performance. Then you also benefit from a new engine, 6sp transmission, 11.5" rear end, etc.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:32 PM   #19

Its only a Federal crime, what could go wrong?
I like the power of my 6.7 over my old 5.9 but the smog equipment is no bueno. I hope the new ones are better.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:57 PM   #20

I really don't care about mileage or the emissions stuff all that much. I have a 7 year 100K FULL warranty and I doubt I will keep the truck that long.

The fact is if you mess with the system at all during the warranty period your warranty WILL be void.

I did a lot of mods to my 98 12V but not until the warranty was over at 100K.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
I said in a previous reply that I average 650 miles per tank on road trips, without going deep into the reserve. Not sure how that's not an answer. Hand calc. works out to 22mpg average on road trips with a sustained 24mpg when cruising.

The point of deleting is not recovering the cost via fuel economy. That's a perk.
It's health and longevity of the engine (just like the 5.9) and added performance. Then you also benefit from a new engine, 6sp transmission, 11.5" rear end, etc.
Whats hurting the motor? Egr...Cummins have been using egr since 03. It is an in cylinder egr, where the lapping of the cam lobes closed the valve prior to fully exhausting all the spent charge...thus leaving a charge of spent gat to mix with the new fresh fuel/air charge on the intake stroke. New motors have a variable valve egr with a much leaner burn to begin with so hopefully soot is not as bad. Also new motors with DEF are prior to the particulate filter. So hopefully that means less clogged and less regeneration is how it was designed.

I have been debating the whole delete thing myself on my new rig. I am in a non emissions county but there is always that federal issue. Actually where I am diesel and farm applications are exempt from emmisions inspection.
Old 09-25-2015, 03:08 PM   #22

While we're on this void warranty from deleting crap.

When I was into Harleys, some dealers tried to void warranty if you changed exhaust, added tuner etc...but they were wrong. If I blow a motor because I changed my exhaust they have to prove the exhaust killed the motor. I blew a motor with 5k on the clock, aftermarket exhaust and intake and a Harley tune. No questions were asked new mill was installed

If I delete my cummins from the harmful restrictions and egr crap, they have to prove me doing that hurt the motor. Either way if done properly, and not tuned to blow black smoke and run by a 17 yr old you don't need a warranty on the motor.

Magnuson-Moss warranty act
Old 09-25-2015, 03:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
While we're on this void warranty from deleting crap.

When I was into Harleys, some dealers tried to void warranty if you changed exhaust, added tuner etc...but they were wrong. If I blow a motor because I changed my exhaust they have to prove the exhaust killed the motor. I blew a motor with 5k on the clock, aftermarket exhaust and intake and a Harley tune. No questions were asked new mill was installed

If I delete my cummins from the harmful restrictions and egr crap, they have to prove me doing that hurt the motor. Either way if done properly, and not tuned to blow black smoke and run by a 17 yr old you don't need a warranty on the motor.

Magnuson-Moss warranty act
Sorry RAM for example have much bigger lawyers than you do. Just ask the ones selling the device if they will represent you in court. You add a tuner they WILL see it was there even if you remove it with the newer trucks.

Just repeat after me "I am my own warranty station"
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 12:28 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Card View Post
Whats hurting the motor? Egr...Cummins have been using egr since 03. It is an in cylinder egr, where the lapping of the cam lobes closed the valve prior to fully exhausting all the spent charge...thus leaving a charge of spent gat to mix with the new fresh fuel/air charge on the intake stroke. New motors have a variable valve egr with a much leaner burn to begin with so hopefully soot is not as bad. Also new motors with DEF are prior to the particulate filter. So hopefully that means less clogged and less regeneration is how it was designed.

I have been debating the whole delete thing myself on my new rig. I am in a non emissions county but there is always that federal issue. Actually where I am diesel and farm applications are exempt from emmisions inspection.
Lower EGT especially towing on the highway, hills etc. Much better throttle response, too. Turbo spools quicker as well.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:13 PM   #25
Ste

I would choose the 5.9. I have worked on cummins B series engines for 16 years. The reason they increased the displacement was to achieve the same power as the 5.9 while meeting emmision regs.
High compression ratio=high cylinder temps=high NOx out put
You can lower cylinder temp two ways.....lower compression=lower cylinder temps=HIGHER particulate output(soot)....which now needs to be cleaned up, enter the DPF. OR use egr=less oxygen in the cylinder=lower cylinder temps.
Cummins and others use a combination of both and DEF to remove even more NOx from the exhaust. If you buy a 5.9 see when the VP44(injection pump) was replaced. Thats about all that will typically go wrong.
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 06:01 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste View Post
The reason they increased the displacement was to achieve the same power as the 5.9 while meeting emmision regs.
I'm not following. Same power?
Old 10-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #27

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have a 14 with the Cummins. I haven't had to worry about a DPF clearing cycle being forced on me, and this is my daily driver. Plenty of power, automatic exhaust brake, realtor quiet, I love it. If you can find a newer one, go for it.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:08 AM   #28
Ste

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
I'm not following. Same power?
With the lower compression and use of egr the displacement was increased to make performance comparable to the 5.9

Seat of the pants horsepower may or may not be accurate indication of performance as both the 5.9 and 6.7 can have have the horsepower/torque set at many levels.
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags