Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2022, 10:05 PM   #15

Thanks , I did some research and I should be right around 5000lb empty and 6000lb with my bike, the Toy Hauler is basically a 28' cargo trailer and the dry weight of a 28' Haulmark is 4000lb , and has the same 9990 GVWR of the trailer I bought...I'm adding another 1000lb for the front 1/4 of the trailer being a camper..

I'm installing a set of Timbren bump stops just for that reason, they will not engage until the truck has a load , otherwise they stay about an inch and a half from the frame there for they are not supposed to effect the factory ride.....
LuvLakeLivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-15-2022, 10:23 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercee View Post
As mentioned, that 12,200 tow capacity very likely does not apply to your[/I] F150. In addition, tow capacities are generally calculated by the manufacturer pulling a low profile load, with the weight positioned right over the trailer axles.....not your typical RV.

In order to avoid going over your truck's GVWR, you will need to know how much cargo carrying capacity (payload) your truck has. Best option to get this is to weigh the truck and subtract the weight from the truck's GVWR. The GVWR is listed on a sticker on the driver's side door jamb. Absent weighing, you can see how much payload your truck had when it rolled off the assembly line by looking at the other (yellow/black Tire & Loading Info) sticker, also on the door jamb.

Payload is unique to every truck and is simply GVWR minus curb weight. Obviously this means each truck has a different amount, based on option level, cab configuration etc.

Your truck's payload figure must support the trailer tongue weight, the hitch, all occupants (including the driver) and any other gear in the vehicle. If over, you are exceeding your truck's GVWR.

Figure 13% of trailer GVWR will be tongue weight. At 9900 lbs, that means 1287 lbs of tongue weight, add another 100 lbs for the hitch, a few hundred pounds for passengers and another 100 for gear and you can see how quick that payload disappears.
Thank you for you reply, the Toy Hauler is basically a 28' cargo trailer, the dry weight on a 28' Haulmark is 4000lb and I'm adding another 1000lb for the front 1/4 being a camper, dinette sink fridge
bath... tow capacity on my 150 is 8,200 not the 12,200 that I originally thought...I do have a Weight Distribution hitch and I put in a set of Timbren bump stops, the trailer is actually going about 100 miles up to a building site so I have something to stay in while I'm there,, if my truck can handle it I'd like to take a small trip if not now biggie, give me a reason to get another truck 😀

Thanks again
Old 09-15-2022, 10:39 PM   #17

The trailer is basically a 28' cargo trailer, a 28' Haulmark is 4000lb dry and with the front 1/4 of this trailer being a camper I'm adding another 1000lb so I'm thinking I should be around 5000lb... I'm towing it about 100 miles to a building site and there it will stay until I upgrade my suspension or get a new truck.. I do have a weight distribution hitch and I put in a set of Timbren bump stops.. You think I should add a helper spring?
Old 09-16-2022, 04:31 AM   #18

I towed a 5,500lb travel trailer with a 2011 F-150 5.0 litre. The trailer was 26.5' overall length and I used a simple Drawtite WD hitch with chain links. That was a good combo for that truck. I had zero sway at 75 mph. I towed around 70 mph. My truck had the big 36 gallon fuel tank and a 8,500lb. tow limit. I think you need try towing 1st before adding a bunch of suspension items. Maybe you will not need anything.

Good luck
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 08:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLakeLivin View Post
Thanks , I did some research and I should be right around 5000lb empty and 6000lb with my bike, the Toy Hauler is basically a 28' cargo trailer and the dry weight of a 28' Haulmark is 4000lb , and has the same 9990 GVWR of the trailer I bought...I'm adding another 1000lb for the front 1/4 of the trailer being a camper..

I'm installing a set of Timbren bump stops just for that reason, they will not engage until the truck has a load , otherwise they stay about an inch and a half from the frame there for they are not supposed to effect the factory ride.....
I think you are underestimating that trailer and how much weight is added by adding living quarters....and remember a 28' cargo trailer is equivalent to a 31 - 32' travel trailer. I built a mini toy hauler to pull behind my truck camper; it was a Wells Cargo EW1622 with a 16' box. I camperized the front 6.5' with bunks, FWT, furnace, sink, porta potti, etc. and fully loaded with all our gear and 3 dirt bikes, it weighed 6,500 lbs...

Dave
Old 09-16-2022, 12:33 PM   #20

You haven't mentioned payload. About 13% on average of your total trailer weight will be added to your truck. As you add haulables and living quarters that will eat into your payload.

If you could share what your payload sticker says we may be able to help you better. Also if your able to weigh your trailer empty. Then add all the goodies and we can see how it will do.
Tachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 05:06 PM   #21

If the price is good, buy the darn thing. You need a construction shack for your build anyway and you'll know how it tows by the time you get there. I towed a similar V-nose cargo trailer and the darn thing towed like a brick. I'd also be concerned how it would act with a side wind. Tow it to your construction project. After you get the cabin built, go camping locally as see how it does. If you do opt for a different truck, it's better to have too much truck than too little.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 06:02 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachdriver View Post
You haven't mentioned payload. About 13% on average of your total trailer weight will be added to your truck. As you add haulables and living quarters that will eat into your payload.

If you could share what your payload sticker says we may be able to help you better. Also if your able to weigh your trailer empty. Then add all the goodies and we can see how it will do.
For the time being it's going to be empty, I'm towing it about 50 miles to my house then eventually another 50 miles to where I'm going to be building a house...
Old 09-18-2022, 03:08 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLakeLivin View Post
New to Rving and this site.. I own a 2015 F150 Supercrew Lariat, 3.5 Ecoboost, I'm buying a 2003 24' Haulmark Innovator Toy Hauler, (good luck finding specs) the rigs condition is a strong 7.5+ out of 10..

The GVWR of the trailer is 9990 and dose come with a weight distribution hitch.. Now the 3.5 Ecoboost has a max tow capacity of 12200 and I'm putting in a set of Timbren bump stops to help with sag.. My question is will my truck be ok towing the trailer? Although it's primary purpose will be to stay in as I build cottage in Northern NH, I would like to escape South for a few weeks this winter with my motorcycle...

Thanks for reading any input would be greatly appreciated...

Woody in NH
Hi Woody,

We also own a Ford F-150 with Ecoboost. Personally, I would not tow something that weighs that much. You may be able to do that for brief legs, but going from NH to Florida -absolutely not. YMMV.

If you do decide to try it, please take it to weight station and see how much the trailer and your truck weights fully loaded. You may be surprised at how much it all weights.
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:32 PM   #24

I think the critical issue you will have is you will run out of tonque weight capacity with that truck and your trailer real fast. Especially if you build the living quarters up front. That will add a lot more to the tonque weight and the F150 does not have a huge capacity at the tonque. And a weight distribution hitch won’t really fix it.

I know from experience myself as I had a bumper pull trailer that had a silly tonque weight for its class (1200lb tonque, 8600lb trailer; most bumper pulls are about 10% of gross weight). As soon as I pulled out the dealer lot I knew it was a mistake but the won’t tell you that. I asked on the way down if my F150 would tow it and they said sure! You will be fine! White knuckles all the way home and I sold the F150 and for an F250 to replace it. Towed like a dream with that truck.

Pretty sure the max tonque weight for my truck was like 1100lb or something. And if I had that much I had pretty much no capacity for cargo, people and pets.
bossman2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:34 PM   #25

And BTW I would not recommend and F250 for anyone to be honest. It’s a stupid truck. Tons of towing capability with no payload capacity. Sold that one and got an Denali 3500HD one ton truck when I switched to a fifth wheel later on. One ton trucks are basically the same truck, but they have the correct rear end for proper towing capacity. So if you will ever be towing, get a one ton not a three quarter.
bossman2022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:44 PM   #26

My F-250 2WD gas engine truck has 3,497 lbs. of cargo capacity. I do not know what a F-250 with the new 7.3 gas engine truck's cargo capacity is but I bet it is close to the 6.2. 4X4 would take maybe 300 lbs. Which would give approx 3,000lbs of cargo.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 03:50 PM   #27

Unless OP has the HDPP F150, he’s going to be so far overweight with that trailer that I do not want to be the guy driving behind him. Wet tongue on that puppy will be 1,200# or more. Add (conservatively) 700# for occupants and gear, and 100# for hitch, and you’ve tipped over 2,000#. Only the HDPP F150, or 3/4 ton can safely tow that.
Old 09-18-2022, 05:31 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
Any trailer over 5000 LBS needs to be pulled with a Peterbilt, anything smaller and you are going to crash into a church bus full of nuns in a fiery inferno.

Oh heck now I sound like the towing "experts" online
I vote this for the towing reply of the year.

I'm of the, you can tow more with less, group. The biggest issue to be aware of when approaching the towing limits of your tow vehicle, is braking. You have to approach driving like it is 2010, where caution was a part of driving. Today driving as fast as one can without giving thought to outcomes is not conducive to maximising your vehicle's towing ability.

Find people who are towing heavier loads and ask them about towing. I met a nice man who for 5 years towed a 5,000 lb travel trailer, unloaded, and had a 7,500, loaded capacity with his plain vanilla Ford 150.

He thought it was a perfect combo. I bought his trailer and towed it with a Porsche Cayenne. I also thought my combo was a good choice.

The people who don't tow with 150s are not the people to ask if it is a good idea to tow.

Mike
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, tow, towing, towing question