Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2015, 02:33 AM   #1

Newer Dodge Transmissions ?

How do these newer Dodge Trannys ( 6 speed, 8 speed ) compare to the older 5 speed for towing ??
Trying to decide on weather it's worth the newer modelss to get the newer trans.
Thanks Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2015, 03:12 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
How do these newer Dodge Trannys ( 6 speed, 8 speed ) compare to the older 5 speed for towing ??
Trying to decide on weather it's worth the newer modelss to get the newer trans.
Thanks Jim
The 68RFE with the Cummins is a very solid dependable Trans. The Aisin Medium duty is even better and you get more HP and TQ with it.

The 6 speeds really are great!
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:45 AM   #3

I would check out this thread from Turbo Diesel Register. Com. The question that was asked was "68RFE how long will it last" The response are from actual users of this transmission and who used this for towing from seasonal campers to users who use their truck for every day hauling loads; with real world numbers.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/t...g-will-it-last

Now the 8 sped auto transmission is used in the 1500 model with the gas engine and with the ECO-diesel engine. I do not think there is enough real world experience out there to pass judgment as of yet.
Old 03-31-2015, 08:04 AM   #4

My last 5-speed had a clutch. I really enjoy my 68rfe and the extra horsepower its connected to.
The exhaust brake is good stuff also.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:11 PM   #5

Looking at Hemi 5.7 gas. Whats the best for towing ? Would love the diesel, but my upcoming SS check won't allow that. Want o buy this truck befor i retire ( Oct.Yeah )
Old 03-31-2015, 06:44 PM   #6

You would not think there would be much difference between a 5 speed and the 6 speed. But there is, the 6 speed is much better.

That being the case I would conclude the more speeds the better overall driving and towing. So I would vote 'yes' it is worth getting a newer truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 10:48 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If your TT needs the 2500 you can get the 6.4 hemi & 6 speed. If you can do it with a 1500, the 5.7 hemi, 3.92 dif gears and the 8 speed is the ticket. My son has one and that thing is a rocket. Gets 21 hwy unloaded. You'll probably need air bags in the rear coils but trans and engine are tops.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 05:58 AM   #8

We have a new Grey Wolf 26RL at 5700# dry, and bought it as our retirement camper ( maybe last ) so don't see anything bigger in the future. So just want to upgrade my TV before i retire,and want to be comfortable towing where ever we want ( hence the upgrade to the hemi ) don't have a lot of money so want to keep the payments manageable, (so used ) 2012,s go up to the 6 speed, so trying to find which trans is better.

Thanks Jim
Old 04-01-2015, 06:37 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I own a 2014 with the 6.4 and the 66RFE trans. Talking with the trans shops around, conclude that it is a strong and dependable trans. That said, I feel that the gearing is terrible. After towing 13k with mine, re geared the diff's to 4.56. Much better but looking at the gearing between the 8 speed (only available on 1500) "Now" truly think that the trans is geared for optimum pulling, towing and mileage. My guess, wait another year if you want a 2500 and think you will see them go to an 8 speed. Just my guess. See Ford now considering a 10 speed which I think is overkill.
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:57 AM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Everyone has their own limits as to what works good. At 5700# dry you will be well over 6000# loaded plus the truck contents. Many say a 1500 will do it just fine. If you are in no hurry and don't mind working the truck you will probably be OK. get the low rear diff gears. With the diesel, there are no grades for me, just places that other people go slower. But the diesel is not for everyone and I understand. When you buy the truck just be careful as a small thing can turn into a big thing. Like tow mirrors, rear diff gears, towing package, tires, and more.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:30 PM   #11

My neighbor was one of the first in our area to buy a new Ram with the 8 speed. It continually hunts for the proper gear and all he gets from the dealer is " they all do that". Will trade for a new F250 in June.
The new Ford 10 speed is a joint venture with GM. Does anyone think that these two companies will come out with a poor unreliable unit?
More speeds is not overkill, it is an attempt to keep the engine in the sweet spot for torque to maximize power and mileage. That's why the 8 speed is in the Ram 1500, need to improve mileage.
According to several forums the jury is out on the new Ram trans, not reliable and severe shifting problems. Better off to go with a 2500 to get the more reliable 6 speed.
More gears are better the heavier your RV.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:53 AM   #12

Wife and I bought new trucks this past November mine a 3500 cc dually with the 6.7 and aisin tranny and 4:10 gears....wife has the 1500 with the eight speed tranny.

We took her truck from Houston to red river nm last month and going through all the different types of terrain from rolling hills to the plains to the mountains and it performed flawlessly getting up to 28.4 mph. Also being able to manually shift in the mountains (downshifting) it was so sweet and reliable it kept the rpms nice and steady.

I am really pleased with the 8 speed performance but since we have a 5er we pull it with my truck.
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #13

That's mpg not mph....lol
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
An 8 speed or 10 speed is going to shift more often. That's the idea, keep the engine in the ideal rpm. The RPM difference from gear to gear is small compared to the old 4 speeds so the shifts are less noticeable. The trans is made to shift often. If you want a truck with a trans that shifts less often, get the Ram diesel with the 6 speed stick. It shifts less often. BTW, Ram is the only diesel truck with a stick available.

Tags
dodge, transmission