Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2020, 02:09 PM   #1

Nissan Armada, Terry trailer..how do i know to tow??

Ive got a 05 Armada. I have NO IDEA how to tell if i even have a tow capability. Can someone explain to me what am i supposed to be looking for under my car? I can tell u it doesn't have one of those ball thingys lol
I should add that i am also currently on crutches, & getting underneath my car to check would be a nightmare, but if i can see pictures, ill know if i have it or not.. i think.?
I know i probably sound ignorant as heck, but I'm a single mom who just got a terry trailer, but I'm afraid if i buy a tow bar thingamablob, n its the wrong one, i might end killing someone! But i don't have the finances to go have it professionally installed, & pay for all that labor. I want to try to do it myself. So how do i know what i need?? Thank you in advance.
77 TT 1xmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2020, 02:45 PM   #2

https://www.carmax.com/research/niss...features-specs

That's a start.....if you don't have a hitch, you don't have the trailer tow package that would get you the "max" towing capacity....without it, it looks to be 6500 lbs.

Pay attention to the payload and trailer tongue weight; a quick check is to look at the trailers GVWR sticker and use 15% for the tongue weight. You will need a class III hitch that is designed for your vehicle and you will need to use a WD hitch on any trailer over 5,000 lbs.

Year and model of Terry trailer would help to narrow things down a bit.

Dave
Old 12-09-2020, 03:20 PM   #3

The "ball thingy" is actually called a ball mount. It fits into a square receiver tube. If you don't have the receiver then you will need to install a trailer hitch. That includes a receiver. It bolts to the frame of your vehicle. Check out eTrailer as it looks like they have a couple for your vehicle for under $200. You should probably have it professionally installed. Instead of a basic ball mount, you will probably need a weight distribution hitch, commonly referred to as WDH. They include the ball as well as a bunch of other stuff that can keep the trailer in control behind your vehicle. Some will also transfer weight from your rear axle to the front so your vehicle will not sag.

Give us more details about your vehicle and the trailer so we can offer better advice.
LeisurePursuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:53 PM   #4

Go to the U Haul site and enter your car info. They will tell you what you need.

That will get you the hitch part # and what else you will need. Light adaptor kit, brake controller, hitch adsptor and ball.

The equalizer hitch will need to be sourced too. Check Etrailer.com

U Haul will install the hitch for about $75 .

As you can see, its more then a thingy.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tell us more about your Terry trailer.

Do you know which model it is?

How long is it approximately?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #6

Start with the basics. Go to YouTube and learn Towing 101. Donít hook up anything to your Nissan until you learn the basics.

Driving dynamic is totally different and know how to deal with certain situations.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 04:30 PM   #7

Agree with nicky as YouTube is your friend. That and use Google.

Believe 50% what you read from your google searches and 50% from this forum. If you are lucky you will pick the right % of each.

Agree - tell use more about your Terry trailer.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:18 PM   #8

Alright, i think ive got it. Called uhaul, and apparantely i need a reciever bar, and for them to install it, it actually come to $243. (!!!) The trailer is a 1977 16 ft terry trailer that weighs about 3300 lbs. Idk how much my vehicle weighs tho. Does that matter? It is it included in the weight its able to tow? Also my armada is NOT 4x4 and its an LE model. 2 wheel drive, v8. What else? Also, thanks for all the responses! As i keep saying, i think I'm in wayyyy over my head!!
Old 12-09-2020, 09:44 PM   #9

Your Armada should easily tow that trailer if it is only 16' and dry weight weight 3,300lbs which will turn into maybe 4,300lbs loaded weight. You will still be good.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TT 1xmer View Post
Alright, i think ive got it. Called uhaul, and apparantely i need a reciever bar, and for them to install it, it actually come to $243. (!!!) The trailer is a 1977 16 ft terry trailer that weighs about 3300 lbs. Idk how much my vehicle weighs tho. Does that matter? It is it included in the weight its able to tow? Also my armada is NOT 4x4 and its an LE model. 2 wheel drive, v8. What else? Also, thanks for all the responses! As i keep saying, i think I'm in wayyyy over my head!!
If you can turn wrench, just order a hitch from etrailer or pickup one at uhaul for about $150 and install it yourself. Youíll need someone to help you lift it up. I donít think your full size SUV will have problem towing that trailer, but make sure you get a brake controller.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:17 AM   #11

Towing will be easy.

Check to see if you do not already have a hitch. I say this because it was quite common to hide the hitch with a cover in the back bumper. Ford did this and I think a few other manufacturers also did this. If you have a cut out in your bumper you might already have the hitch.

I had a 2006 Honda Ridgeline without a rear camera. It was tough to get it hooked up without a rear camera. I was used to small boats that I could muscle the tongue around a few inches if I was not lined up perfect. But the travel trailer had to be lined up 98% perfect. I got good exercise getting in and out of the Ridgeline to check if I was lined up correctly. Always better to check than guess.

A rear camera makes a difficult task easy.

Thinking you need a hitch, 7 pin connector for lights and brake, a brake controller, and now an after market rear camera.
Old 12-11-2020, 10:33 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Armada is a Great tow Vehicle

I've had 2 Armadas and towed a TT with both of them. They were just great. My last trailer was a 32' K-Z Spree that we towed at about 6800 LBS. The armada handled it really well.

I had a good weight distribution hitch and good sway control. That's really important. Seems like the 2012 Armada Platinum had a tow rating of 9000 lbs. The new ones are down to 8500 lbs tow rating.

Happy camping,

Dave
Caswelld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 10:51 PM   #13

Thanks! That's what i wanted to hear ..errr.. i mean READ! Lol thanks again!

Tags
ada, tow, trailer