Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #1

Nissan Jumps into the electric half ton fray with the electric Titan

Looks like Nissan is getting serious with the electric Titan. I would think the impending decreasing world market for pickups that have tail pipes had something to do with it, and that is only four years away. Projected specs look kind of out of date already but that will probably improve by production.

Here’s the link. I’m sure there will be more to come.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/electrek...p-startup/amp/
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 09:10 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A 1/2 ton, run around town grocery getter....just what I need.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
A 1/2 ton, run around town grocery getter....just what I need.

Ken
I hear ya. I would think half the pickups (or at least the half tons) are used just for that in this town. Just a guess. Lots of pretty trucks that have never had anything in them.

Not for me but it seems popular. Then again. I have a small garage soooo...
Old 11-25-2020, 09:34 AM   #4

I'd like to have an electric pick-up. They have lots of cool features to play with. The question is, do I want to spend an extra 20k just for the vehicle's toy value.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:40 AM   #5

Remember that old commercial about the ad for a four wheel drive that the woman could use IN TOWN to drive over the little dirt mound at a road repair site detour?
Really essential!!
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #6

If I wasn't into RV trailer towing I'd not have a diesel and I'd own an electric truck. But it would be a midsize when they come out with one.
One of these days fossil fuel powered vehicles are going to cost a lot to own. The next super event that causes fuel prices to spike will IMO keep prices high. Remember when gas and diesel were over $4 a gal, $5 in some places? Those prices will be returning one day. Gas powered trucks will be a dime a dozen if that happens. People are funny. Gas prices drop and they buy guzzlers. Prices go up and they buy elec/mizers. Elec is the future.
I've seen fuel prices roller coaster since the embargo of the 80's.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:58 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why can't the automakers build a small electric pickup like the old Toyota and Nissan trucks back in the 80's? Or even a small gas or diesel pickup? Why is everything so darned BIG? It's ridiculous.
I'd buy a compact Toyota or Nissan truck in a heartbeat, much more useful than the behemoths available now, unless you're towing something.
The automakers are missing a huge opportunity here.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #8

I’m so looking forward to what RVing is going to look like in 20 year. Maybe all electric trucks towing big fifth wheel and RV resorts have fast chargers on each campsite.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Why can't the automakers build a small electric pickup like the old Toyota and Nissan trucks back in the 80's? Or even a small gas or diesel pickup? Why is everything so darned BIG? It's ridiculous.
I'd buy a compact Toyota or Nissan truck in a heartbeat, much more useful than the behemoths available now, unless you're towing something.
Yes, and all the Electric trucks coming out in the next 2 years are also bigguns.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
Isnt tacoma/ranger/colorado/frontier small enough? Sure that are bigger than what they were decades ago. Maybe Polaris can take over this market with their side by side
Old 11-25-2020, 10:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
I’m so looking forward to what RVing is going to look like in 20 year. Maybe all electric trucks towing big fifth wheel and RV resorts have fast chargers on each campsite.
I have mixed feelings on the need for fast chargers at a campground. I can see the operator maybe having a couple for revenue purposes but really a 50 amp 240 circuit would suit the vast amount of users requirements. Most camp for more than one day in a campground and even overnight you would get a substantial charge. I can see some operators adding a second 50 amp service to some of their sites. I would think there would be a good revenue stream there.

JMHO.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I have mixed feelings on the need for fast chargers at a campground. I can see the operator maybe having a couple for revenue purposes but really a 50 amp 240 circuit would suit the vast amount of users requirements. Most camp for more than one day in a campground and even overnight you would get a substantial charge. I can see some operators adding a second 50 amp service to some of their sites. I would think there would be a good revenue stream there.

JMHO.
Yeah. Maybe not at campground, but definitely need more at rest areas and gas stations. I don’t expect they charge as fast as fueling gasoline/diesel, but it would be great to get 2-300 miles for 20-30 mins charging.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
Yeah. Maybe not at campground, but definitely need more at rest areas and gas stations. I don’t expect they charge as fast as fueling gasoline/diesel, but it would be great to get 2-300 miles for 20-30 mins charging.
Yah. For sure. China and Europe have pretty good charge infrastructure build outs but things still have a long way to go here. Two companies are doing pretty good though with charge infrastructure. The American company Tesla and the German company “Electrify America” and their Canadian subsidiary “Electrify Canada. There are others like charge point and EVgo but not with the same growth rate. I’m sure it’ll come in time.

Re charge speed of the trucks. Hard to say. I know we rarely spend more than 15 minutes at a V3 Supercharger unless it’s lunch, and even then rarely over 20 minutes (we tend to bring our lunch with us as we travel with a chihuahua). But trucks will have batteries twice as big as our car has. Tesla is already talking about V4 Superchargers so they will obviously be faster than the 250 KW rates of the V3’s. And Electrify America is already installing some 350 KW CCS Superchargers as that is what the Porsche Taycans use. (Electrify America’s parent company is VW/Audi/Porsche.

I’m sure things will look different in three years than they do now.
Old 11-25-2020, 11:58 AM   #14

Nissan trucks are back, is this a joke?

I don't know if someone is pulling our leg or Nissan is testing the waters yet again. AFAIK Nissan just recently pulled the plug on all its trucks for North America, concentrating on vehicles and especially the small to medium SUV and CUV market.

Contrary to the big 3 domestics, Nissan was losing money on all its trucks and makes their money on the smaller stuff. They just don't sell, and they aren't (weren't) priced nor optioned correctly to sell.

Why they would try the EV trucks is beyond me.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric