Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #1

Nokian Rotiiva AT E10 Truck tires

Currently have Michelin AT2 tires on 2017 GMC 3500 and found the tires okay on dry pavement, but poor on snow and ice. I found excellent reviews on the identified Nokian tires, but would like to know how they perform while towing a 5th wheel trailer. Would appreciate hearing if others towed with these tires and how they performed.

Thank you

DPAM
DPAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPAM View Post
Currently have Michelin AT2 tires on 2017 GMC 3500 and found the tires okay on dry pavement, but poor on snow and ice. I found excellent reviews on the identified Nokian tires, but would like to know how they perform while towing a 5th wheel trailer. Would appreciate hearing if others towed with these tires and how they performed.

Thank you

DPAM
I sell and have been running Rotiiva AT tires for almost 6 years now. I went through a set of stock size 235/80R17 LRE and am currently running alternate size 245/75R17 LRE on my dually. They perform very well. They wear a bit faster than the Michelin OE tires they replaced but are a lot better on snow and ice as well as muddy or soft ground. They will be a bit noisier than Michelin LTX M/S2 but probably close to same noise level as the AT2.

I switched sizes as the 235s had 15/32 tread and the 245s have 17/32", looks more than that to me. I also switched from Michelin to Nokian for the same reasons as you, plus we experienced a bad crash while towing in Arkansas suring a freak snowstorm. NOT fun! Downside is alternate size is 1% less overall so speedo 1% off, no biggie, still in specs.

My 1st set of Rotiiva wore because of an excursion way up North in 2017. We drove 700km thrrough large chunky,rocky gavel and stone mining and logging roads, that cut the tire treads enough to wear almost 15% of tread life in tha short spurt. I imagine ANY tire would wear on those type roads with a heavily loaded 5th wheel in tow.

I'd recommend the Rotiiva ATs for your needs. They also pass winter tire specs for provincial or federal mandates in Canada and USA.

A bonus is you'll have a wear and defect warranty Michelin doesn't have nor honour.
kdauto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 07:03 PM   #3

From what I understand... Hercules commercial truck tires are as good as it gets. I plan to put two on our front end in relatively near future.
Old 01-07-2020, 08:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Art View Post
From what I understand... Hercules commercial truck tires are as good as it gets. I plan to put two on our front end in relatively near future.
I don't know about the medium and heavy duty tires but for car and light truck Hercules is pretty much on the low end of offerings. I definitely wouldn't putthem in the same class as Nokian or Michelin for the original poster's needs.
Old 01-08-2020, 12:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Tire size on our RV - 235 85R16

Leading truck tire installation tire shop here recommends Hercules Commercial Tires. I've heard/read other recommendations too. Hercules prices and guarantees are good.

https://www.herculestirescommercial....804-PREM-STEER
Old 01-08-2020, 07:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Tire size on our RV - 235 85R16

Leading truck tire installation tire shop here recommends Hercules Commercial Tires. I've heard/read other recommendations too. Hercules prices and guarantees are good.

https://www.herculestirescommercial....804-PREM-STEER
This is far from the tire the O.P. asked about for his 2017 GMC3500HD. I doubt Hercules has many good offerings in the size he needs. Not sure if his is DRW or SRW.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #7

I am not interested in Hercules tires for my truck, as I will be purchasing Nokian tires. I understand some RV owners use Hercules tires on their trailers and seem to be happy with their performance.

Thank you for all the input.

Regards,

DPAM.
DPAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPAM View Post
I am not interested in Hercules tires for my truck, as I will be purchasing Nokian tires. I understand some RV owners use Hercules tires on their trailers and seem to be happy with their performance.

Thank you for all the input.

Regards,

DPAM.
Is yours a dually or SRW? Do you know the original tire size as per door jam sticker?

Tags
tires