Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #15

Hello Bob, I transport TTs for the Mfgs commercially with my 14 Ram 1500 3.92 ED. To the tune of 525,000 miles often Ohio to west coast and back. To your 5 questions.

1 Yes.
2. Get factory TBC (trailer brake controller). Also consider a set of axle to frame bags such as Timbergrove to compliment the WDH. They support dampen and control the rear suspension for a very smooth quiet controlled road compliant tow.

Most any WDH with built in sway control will work fine assuming you have sufficient load bars for your TT. My favs are Husky Centerline & Andersen. The key to a safe stable tow is in setting your truck and trailer loading up well. IE axle weights and level trailer. Most people just set them by measurements which will get you in the ball park and is normally sufficient. If you want the safest most stable setup and best braking, that can be done and concretely by setting your WDH & loading up by CAT scale results.

Main goals would be A. replace the unloaded steer axle weight with TT attached. For your truck that would be between 3,200 & 3,400 pounds. B. Get your TW (tongue weight) in the 10 to 15% of gross trailer weight range. I adjust toward 12 to 12.5% as I know that is sufficient TW that even a flat front box TT will not wonder at 65 even 70 mph or be pushed by semi bow wave. Also that way I am not unnecessarily using up available drive axle weight or GVWR.

When using a WDH TW is found by subtracting your unloaded truck axle weights from your loaded truck axle weights off your weight slips. Example 6,900 pounds less 6,000 equals 900 TW. Add the TW to the TT axle weight shown on your weight slip for your gross TT weight. Example 900 plus 6,600 TT axle weight equals gross TT weight of 7,500. For your TW percentage divide the TW by the gross TT weight. Example 900 divided by 7500 equals 12.0% TW.

3. Nope. Set it up as above it will be safe stable comfortable and withing Mfg limits. Set it up by measurements and it will still likely be safe and stable. Throw it on a ball without WDH and pay no attention to weight distribution and you may be back here asking what to do. Thing is you only have to set it up by scale results one time and unless you radically change your loading it should stay safe & stable for as long as you own that truck & trailer.

4. Save your money
5. No. Safe & happy travels to ya. Oh and the stiffer springs and load rated tires are a definite bonus. I've had good luck with both the Defenders & Grabbers in XL & E load ratings.
VernDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2019, 12:42 PM   #16

I towed our new trailer home last night and wanted to give some feedback. The dealer was over 150 miles away and we towed home on some windy secondary roads with a few steep grades and several highways and interstates. Could not be happier with how easy and stable the experience was. Zero sway even with big tractor trailers blowing by at times. I could feel a gentle push and pull but that was it. The entire trip was was basically the opposite of white knuckle.

The TC1211 rear springs I installed are fantastic. I've been driving around for a couple weeks unloaded and I actually prefer the ride over the soft stock springs. It's not rough at all and the rear end feels more connected to the road. Towing is excellent. Zero squat at all and my truck was perfectly level. Like I said previously, I didn't switch the springs because I'm pushing payload limits. I did the spring swap for ride/stability and it was a great choice. Very happy.
BobChill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 04:49 PM   #17

I tow my 6000# trailer with the Ram Eco Diesel with 3.92 gears. Just finished a 1000 mile trip and averaged 15.3 mpg. Went over Cajon Pass at 55 mph no problem. Eight speed trans never got above 178*. Payload on my model is 1640#. Since diesel here, Phoenix AZ, is about 10% more than gas, and in my old gasser I averaged 9+ mpg, I am way ahead of the game. The Eco Diesel is a true hauler for anything under 7000#.
RichH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:43 PM   #18

I used the equalizer wdh and had no problems. I did buy the optional rubber pads that are inserted under the bars at the trailer frame. Highly recommend those to quiet metal on metal squeaking and wear. We pulled a 28’ TT with our 2014 Ram 1500 hemi. I did add the airlift bags and recommend those if you experience porpoising. The airbag system really leveled things out and stiffened up the ride.
Have fun and enjoy your new camper.
Rodncerita is offline   Reply With Quote