Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #1

Noob - will i kill us or my truck?

My family and I are getting ready to purchase our first TT. As a tow vehicle, I have an 06 Nissan Frontier with a towing capacity listed as 6000lbs. We have been looking at the Komfort Resort 249BH, which I have seen listed between 4900 and 5200 lbs., and the Outback 210RS listed at 4800lbs. Are the weight of these two trailers too much for practicality and safety (assuming the use of an Equilizer anti-sway hitch?). With no previous experience in how much gear weighs on average and the effects of towing something near the max listed towing capacity I would love some of your feedback!

Thanks,

David
roadkilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 PM   #2

Maybe both.
hnybare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:08 PM   #3

The 6K towing capacity on your pickup is a base strippo truck with 1/4 tank of gas and a 150# driver. Anything above that subtracts from the trailer towing capacity.
Also, are those numbers you sited "dry" or "shipping" weights? My guess they are and in that case you will be grossly overloaded from the get go. I would suggest that you either look at more truck or much less RV.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
roadkilt, welcome to iRV2. First, realize that the 6000# tow rating is a maximum and is generally based on a base model vehicle with only a 150# driver on board. No cargo, no passengers and no hitch. A weight distributing hitch can add 150# to the vehicle weight. So add up all of the extra passengers and cargo and subtract that from the maximum tow capacity or as an estimate what you can pull by using 80% of the tow rating ...4800# for a loaded trailer.

Next check your owners manual to see if you are limited on towing with a maximum frontal area on the trailer. A lot of the smaller vehicles are limited to 35 square feet. This is a trailer that is only 7' wide x 5' high....not a full size trailer. Also check to see if your vehicle has the necessary tow package to match the tow rating.

We have come up beginning with a S-10 Blazer and a Ford Explorer and a 21' Coachman Lite series trailer which was just under 4000# loaded. It would pull the trailer O.K. but I would not want to pull any more. Short trips and minimal hills was OK, but longer trips was really tiring. The truck was working hard most of the time at 60 to 65 mph and fuel economy was never over 10 mpg.

The dry weight on trailers is pretty useless in my opinion unless you plan to never add anything to the trailer. The dry weight does not include any items list as an option...like air conditioner, microwave, batteries, awning and then you add propane, water, your supplies and food....it can be 500 to 1000# more than the dry weight.

Personally, I would recommend that you keep the weight down to about 4000# loaded and then I'd keep the trailer length down to about 21' or 22' overall length. You might want o look at pop up trailers and hybrids as getting the most size and the minimal weight.

I know you will see folks pulling much more and tell you that they do fine. I don't believe them as they have never tried pulling the trailer with a bit larger tow vehicle. The largest trailer we have had was a 36.5' 5th wheel with two slides that was 13,500# if we were lightly loaded. we towed it with a F350 diesel dually and it was by far the easiest handling rig we had driven.

I hope that I did not pour too much rain on your parade.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post

I hope that I did not pour too much rain on your parade.

Ken
Better it rain now than later.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #6

Appalachian Campers
I have two rules of thumb in these instances. First, take the base weight and add 1500 pounds for "stuff". Clothes, food, water, chairs, paper towels, etc.

Second I try not to cross 90% of my trucks towing capacity. That gets into that tow rating reality above.

If you can get something in the <4000 pound range and watch your weight you should be fine.

Good luck and welcome to the site!
sknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's time to buy a real truck if you plan on doing any real TT towing. You have a family, let's assume 2 kids maybe 3. If you really want to enjoy the outdoors with the family in a TT or 5th wheel you will need a real tow vehicle. The one thing you will learn is that you can't have enough Tow vehicle adn that you will upgrade your TT or 5th wheel at some point. Your family will grow up and need more room so bigger better TT & or 5th wheel is in the future. If you get a proper sized tow vehicle now you can upgrade your TT or 5th wheel without worries.
If you are intent on keeping your current tow vehicle, then look into a Popup or Popout type of TT that does not weigh much and enjoy
Old 04-28-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yes, welcome to iRV2. Although this is your first post, you've come to the right place to ask questions.

The numbers you listed for the Resort & the Outback are "dry weights" otherwise known as UVW (unloaded vehicle weight). That's the weight of the TT as built at the factory & does not include passengers, water, propane, cargo or any options (i.e.TV's, ladder, sometimes the awning...etc). The actual GVWR's are 7500 for the Resort 7550 for the Outback. Your Frontier will be grossly taxed with these TT's & cannot safely tow them.

Please reconsider your TT or tow vehicle choice.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #9

Thank you all for the wise advice. It seems to cooborate my worries. So - we decided on a trail-lite 27QBSS AND traded our frontier in on an F-150 supercrew with the 5.4L v8. Even fully loaded the TT doesn't reach 80% of the towing capacity - and with the f-150's increased wheel base and an Equilizer hitch and Prodigy brake controller I think we will be sitting pretty. Thank you all SO MUCH for your advice. WE would have been in deep s@#t without it!

CHeers,
David
Old 05-03-2010, 06:43 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for reporting back on your decision. I think you will be a much happer in the long run with the towing combination.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Excellent combination, roadkilt. Happy travels. Please post pics in the new rig section when you get a chance.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:14 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Welcome aboard, and congratulations on your first equipment upgrade. The first is the most painful. Next you'll likely outgrow your trailer, which will lead to a yet beefier towing vehicle. I have to laugh at myself every time this happens to me. Remember that it's good for the US economy.
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Guy View Post
Welcome aboard, and congratulations on your first equipment upgrade. The first is the most painful. Next you'll likely outgrow your trailer, which will lead to a yet beefier towing vehicle. I have to laugh at myself every time this happens to me. Remember that it's good for the US economy.

That's right, KTM Guy, I am just doing my part . So, KTM as in only two wheels and no tow package? Sure would like a 990 Adventure one of these days
Old 05-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I just happened upon this post, but thought I'd add my .02 being as I was in your boat! I had an 05 Frontier and we purchased a 23' Rockwood TT, no slide (don't recall the weight, but it wasn't as much as what you were looking at). The sales person said no problem, we have plenty of wriggle room! Well, it was a scarry combination that seemed to bounce all the way down I-70 from the dealer to home, and never did get over 50 mph because it rode so rough. Ended up trading the frontier for a GMC 1500 with the 5.3L V8, and it rode so much better. Then we ended up trading the 23' Rockwood for a 29' Flagstaff with a super-slide, and again felt the truck was being over powered by the TT! We now have a Class A and are quite happy! Having the right combination does make a huge difference!
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote