Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2021, 07:49 AM   #1

Coastal Campers
OEM Prep vs Non-OEM Prep Fifth Wheel Hitch Use

All,
If this is a repeat subject I apologize up front. However, I need to make a decision within the next 6 weeks that may be costlier than I want to deal with. I am new to RVs and although I have hauled work trailers in the past I am not confident in making the correct decision regarding fifth wheel hitches for our soon-to-be new fifth wheel.

I currently own a 2021 F-250 with camper and trailer prep, but no OEM prep for a Fifth Wheel. We figured the truck would be good to haul the Alliance 310RL we were looking at to order. The plan was to get with a local trailer dealer to get a B&W 18K Fifth Wheel hitch along with installing a plug in the bed sidewall for the trailer electrical cable.

However, we determined in the end that the truck was too close to Cargo Capacity limits, due to the RVs pin weight, and have since put a 2022 F350 on order. Anticipated delivery for the truck is mid-to-late September per Ford. That truck will have all applicable and required OEM prep for fifth wheel and gooseneck trailer handling, trailer package, etc. We ordered the RV after ordering the F350, and I am still driving the F250 until the F350 arrives.

The issue at hand revolves around the trailer delivery date. Per Alliance, yesterday via the dealer I am working with, the trailer should be here ready for delivery by 9/1/2021 (barring any delays due to parts shortages). With that delivery date I am looking at having to get the F250 prepped with a hitch on rails for the anticipated few weeks or so we will use the RV until the F350 shows up. IF I do that then the Hitch Prep on the F350 will potentially be for nothing since the version of the hitch for the F250 will not be configured for the PUC system on the F350.

SO...suggestions on the most efficient way to handle this? Buy the B&W for the F250 then try to get an adapter kit and use it on the F350 as well? Or buy a new one for the F350 after it shows up and try to sell the one used on the F250? I’m retired Navy and work full time, but am not rolling in money and would prefer to minimize buying multiple hitches. I also do not want to degrade the fifth wheel load handling capabilities of the F350 if the adapter kit for the hitch degrades it. I also cannot leave the RV on the dealer’s lot indefinitely even though the GM has stated he can hold the RV for me for a while until the F350 arrives. This is fast becoming a headache I had not anticipated when I decided to jump into the Fifth Wheel RV world.

Thanks for any help.
Bhidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2021, 08:03 AM   #2

i had a similar issue. we bought the 5th wheel at a show without having a truck. we then ordered the truck and waited for it to arrive. the trailer dealer simply stored the trailer until we were able to pick it up. we had to make the loan payments on the trailer while he stored it. why not do the same?
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:22 AM   #3

I just bought a '21 F250 (Apr) with the OEM prep. While shopping, some trucks did not have the OEM and most dealerships said that they could add it on.
Old 07-14-2021, 08:59 AM   #4

You can buy the 5th prep package from your Ford Dealer for $600. They you need to install it somehow. Then the B&W hitch will fit both the F-250 and the F-350. The kit includes thick metal rails that attach under the bed to the truck frame. The big problem is removing the bed and then drilling big holes in it. People have done this because there are dimples in the bed that shows you where to drill.

My local Ford dealer would not do the Install.

You can have a hitch shop install a B&W Turn Over Ball for $1,200. Then pay another $1,200 for a Anderson Ultimate Hitch.

Or pay $1,200 for the Turn Over Ball install plus $1,200 for a Reese Goose Box to replace the pin box on your 5th wheel.

I do not have a camera for the bed on my truck so I would go with the Anderson's Ultimate Hitch.

Or tell the dealer to keep your 5th wheel until you get your F-350. They should do that with no problem. That way you do not need to mess with the F-250 and spend hard earned $$$ on a temporary fix.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 10:05 AM   #5

Keep in mind if the 250 or the 350 are short beds the trailer nose may collide in tight angles. We have the same 310RL on an F350 (OEM pucks) and I bought the Pullrite Superslide for that reason. I considered the Anderson and, while light and less expensive, it looked way too flimsy for my mechanical engineering background and with too many reported collapse anecdotes.

I don't have a bed camera for alignment, instead a dot in the mirror, and pieces of tape in the rear window and on the pin box allow me to line up the trailer perfectly. I do have a camera in the side of the bed to watch proper engagement and disengagement of the hitch when nobody else is around but that is kind optional.

Another consideration for your situation (has been discussed elsewhere on this forum) was that the F350 is supposed to be run for 1000 miles before towing. While I guess the practical risk is low for a short haul, I made sure to get this on the clock because I don't know if this is being logged and to avoid possible warranty issues.
Old 07-14-2021, 10:13 AM   #6

I have seen pictures of the Anderson Ultimate Hitch collasped because of a sudden stop. I would ouly use the 35 lb. Anderson Ultimate Hitch only with a lighter 5th wheel. Maybe one with a 10,000lb GVWR.

I will also say anything less than a standard 5th wheel hitch looks skechy to me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-14-2021, 10:32 AM   #7

Coastal Campers
All, appreciate all the responses.

I think at this point from what I've heard is to just park it at the dealer and let it sit until the F350 gets here. e-Trailer.com suggested I get the hitch setup in the 250, then when the 350 gets here to get a new base with the Puck configuration then just move the head to the new truck. Problem with that is another $500+ for a new base.

Either way it's gonna be hard waiting .... my wife is anxious to get out and start RV'ing but considering the money side of all this it may be best to just get it ready to go then haul butt when the new truck shows up.

Thanks again.
Geaux Tigers!
Old 07-14-2021, 10:35 AM   #8

Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Burks View Post
Keep in mind if the 250 or the 350 are short beds the trailer nose may collide in tight angles. We have the same 310RL on an F350 (OEM pucks) and I bought the Pullrite Superslide for that reason. I considered the Anderson and, while light and less expensive, it looked way too flimsy for my mechanical engineering background and with too many reported collapse anecdotes.

I don't have a bed camera for alignment, instead a dot in the mirror, and pieces of tape in the rear window and on the pin box allow me to line up the trailer perfectly. I do have a camera in the side of the bed to watch proper engagement and disengagement of the hitch when nobody else is around but that is kind optional.

Another consideration for your situation (has been discussed elsewhere on this forum) was that the F350 is supposed to be run for 1000 miles before towing. While I guess the practical risk is low for a short haul, I made sure to get this on the clock because I don't know if this is being logged and to avoid possible warranty issues.
Pretty sure I can put 1K on it within a month. BTW, what is the Cargo Capacity of your Lariet? I'm getting the same Lariet model for my 350. Currently I'm sittng at 2955 lbs CC for the 250. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2021, 12:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhidalgo View Post
Pretty sure I can put 1K on it within a month. BTW, what is the Cargo Capacity of your Lariet? I'm getting the same Lariet model for my 350. Currently I'm sittng at 2955 lbs CC for the 250. Thanks.
According to the door sticker CC (incl. passengers) is 3634 lbs. However, if I take the GVWR of 11.500 lbs and subtract the measured curb weight (with full tank) of 4160 lbs (front) and 3381 lbs (rear) , there should be 3959 lbs left to load. But that is only 10% difference, close enough...

FWIW, the front GAWR is 5200 lbs and the more decisive rear GAWR is 6780 lbs according to the sticker. That means there should be 3399 lbs reserve for the rear axle. I believe the Superglide hitch was already installed when I weighed the truck but not sure anymore.

I suppose the 310RL would be way over rating for the F250.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:05 AM   #10

Coastal Campers
Quote:
According to the door sticker CC (incl. passengers) is 3634 lbs. However, if I take the GVWR of 11.500 lbs and subtract the measured curb weight (with full tank) of 4160 lbs (front) and 3381 lbs (rear) , there should be 3959 lbs left to load. But that is only 10% difference, close enough...

FWIW, the front GAWR is 5200 lbs and the more decisive rear GAWR is 6780 lbs according to the sticker. That means there should be 3399 lbs reserve for the rear axle. I believe the Superglide hitch was already installed when I weighed the truck but not sure anymore.

Thanks. I was hoping that the Lariet 350 would give me those types of numbers. The XLT 250 is good but not good enough for the 310 since I am not willing to exceed the door sticker CC.
Old 07-15-2021, 09:57 PM   #11

Quote:

6780 sounds really low for a rawr. Are you sure its not higher? It was 7000 even for a srw f350 almost 20 years ago and i cant see them derating.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 12:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
6780 sounds really low for a rawr. Are you sure its not higher? It was 7000 even for a srw f350 almost 20 years ago and i cant see them derating.
Well, that may be strange, especially that so much of that truck is aluminum. But it is what it is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GAWR_Sticker.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	336231   Click image for larger version

Name:	TireLoadSticker.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	336232  

Old 07-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #13

Agree that is low for a rear axle. I would not have believed it but that picture does not lie.

I do know done F-350's have a 7,300lb. capacity rear axle. Maybe the ones with an 8' bed.
Old 07-16-2021, 12:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Agree that is low for a rear axle. I would not have believed it but that picture does not lie.

I do know done F-350's have a 7,300lb. capacity rear axle. Maybe the ones with an 8' bed.
If you look up the Ford web site it does show much higher rear GAWR spec of 7230lbs. But I suppose the individual truck sticker is more the valid number than some marketing specs (a.k.a. bloody lies).
I find it also strange that the F350DWR(4x2) has a higher rear axle rating than the F450DRW(4x2) on the product web site.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FordWebSpes.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	336233  

Tags
fifth wheel, hitch