Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #1

OK, I was really excited for about 1 hour now I think Im gonna cry

ok just found out approved for my dream tt Forest River Vibe 323QBS according to Forest River here are specks.
Cargo Wt 1506lbs
Dry wt 7953lbs
hitch 810
L 37' 11"

but this is My Truck
12 Ford F-150 lariet with eb
GVWR Max says 7700
GCWR Min 13500lbs-Max says 17100lbs

I'm planning on a weight Distrabuting hitch with sway control to get the max,
Do I still have to give up my dream till next year?

Oh thank you to everyone who is reading this and can help me out
Honeybm23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #2

I'm no expert but that's a lot of trailer for a 1/2 ton.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #3

Don't cry yet, unless you've already signed the papers on that trailer... Just for fun, tell us more about your truck.

Gear Ratio?
Supercab or Supercrew?
4X4?
HD payload package?
Max tow package?

If you don't know the details, you can enter your VIN on the Ford etis site, or post it here, we'll run it for you to get the details.
http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegS...qP.eccvas1900n

You have a certification sticker in the door that shows maximum payload, and axle weight ratings, give us that too.

How many folks and what stuff do you take in the truck? (total weight)

I imagine you'll be pretty heavy with that trailer, (maybe too much so), but let's find out for sure before we raise the alarm or you go any farther.

While wer're at it here's Ford's towing guide for 2012, F-150 is on page 18.
https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...FLRVTT_gde.pdf
Normal_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Hi, Honeybm, and and to our campfire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybm23 View Post
ok just found out approved for my dream tt Forest River Vibe 323QBS according to Forest River here are specks.
Cargo Wt 1506lbs
Dry wt 7953lbs
hitch 810
L 37' 11"
Here it is on the Forest River Vibe website:Vibe Travel Trailers by Forest River RV

Their website says UVW = 7953, CCC = 1988, for GVWR of about 9,941. You can expect a lightly-loaded trailer to gross about 9,000 pounds with tongue weight of 1170 pounds plus another 100 pounds for a good WD hitch = total hitch weight of about 1,270 pounds.

By moving some of the weight in the trailer from in front of the trailer axles to behind the axles, you can probably get the hitch weight down to 1,250 pounds or less.

Quote:
but this is My Truck
12 Ford F-150 lariet with eb
GVWR Max says 7700
If the Federal Certification Label in the driver's doorframe shows a GVWR of 7,700 pounds, then you have a prayer of towing that trailer without being overloaded. Not much of a prayer, bit a tiny "maybe".

Also inside that doorframe is another sticker that says the combined weight of passengers and cargo should not exceed xxx pounds. That's the max payload capacity of your truck. Consider the absolute minimum weight of people you must haul inside the truck when towing. If that minimum weight plus the 1,270 pounds hitch weight is less than the payload capacity of your F-150, then your prayers were answered. If just barely within the payload capacity of your F-150, that means you cannot add more people or tools or toys or any other weight in the pickup when towing. Any weight besides people should be hauled in the trailer, not the pickup.

Another gotcha besides payload capacity might be receiver hitch capacity. Crawl under the back of the truck and look up at the receiver frame to find the sticker that includes weight capacities. If the hitch capacity with a WD hitch is 1,250 pounds or more, then you still have a prayer. You must keep the hitch weight down to less than the max TW with a WD hitch. It sounds like you have the max tow pkg, so you may be okay. But if your hitch is like mine, the max TW is only 1,050, and that trailer would overload the receiver hitch in my 2012 F-150 EcoBoost.

Quote:
I'm planning on a weight Distrabuting hitch with sway control to get the max,...
That's the max tow rating, but that's not your limiter. You must have a WD hitch because your hitch weight will be a lot more than 500 pounds.

But don't buy a cheap WD hitch. Get your choice of one of these:

Equal-I-Zer 1400 = https://www.amazon.com/Equal-i-zer-E...er+hitch+14000

Blue Ox SwayPro 1500 ... https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...x/BXW1500.html

Husky CenterLine HD with 1500-pound spring bars = https://www.amazon.com/Husky-31390-C...+centerline+hd

Note: the Centerline HD above does not include spring bars. You need to order the spring bars too.

Reese Strait-Line trunnion bar 1500 = https://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Dist...e/RP66130.html

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...500+with+shank

Quote:
Do I still have to give up my dream till next year?
If you don't want to be overloaded when on the road, then maybe - maybe not. If the receiver hitch max TW is 1,250 pounds or more, then here's the next test:

1] Load everybody and everything that absolutely must be in the F-150 when towing. If it can be hauled in the trailer, then don't include it in the pickup.

2] Drive to a truck stop that has a certified automated truck scale. Fill up with gas, then weigh the F-150 with everybody in it.

3] Subtract the weight of the wet and loaded F-150 from the GVWR of the F-150. If the answer is not at least 1,250 pounds of payload capacity available for hitch weight, then your F-150 will probably be overloaded when towing that trailer.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:47 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There should be a yellow loading sticker on the drivers door sill that says "cargo and passengers not to exceed xxxx pounds". If that number is not over 1200 pounds the you don't need to bother with the scales. If it is 1500 then you have a chance and should weigh it as was suggested by smokey.

Then you have to ask yourself if you are willing to push that truck to it's limit. I would rather see a few hundred pounds of safety margin so I would not have to worry if I wanted to carry full water tanks or other heavy items.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:47 PM   #6

This is not a technical answer. Many people on this forum are fine towing up to the rated limit. From a comfort and safety point of view my limit for most 1/2 tons is 7500 lbs. pretty easy to overload the carrying capacity of your truck. You would probably be ok if you load light and tow at a conservative speed and avoid severe braking conditions. When you can update to a new Super Duty and you will notice a real change for the better.
I have a new 2017 F250 CCLB 4wheel drive with 4.30 gearing and it is so superior to my old vehicle. I was on the edge weight wise before but now no stress on me or the truck.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:12 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
You could local pull for a year and get it broken in then get a 3/4 ton and pull it anywhere. That size trailer will be a bear to pull with a half ton no matter what the sticker math says.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 05:21 AM   #8

I Had a 1/2ton maxed out for about 4-5 trips. **** start looking for a F250/350 with 6.2!! Or 6.7 -- I'm pulling 8000lb Passport with 15' F250, currently looking for "can't pass Up kinda deal" on a diesel 6.7!!
6Kampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 06:10 AM   #9

I have a half ton truck. And I have a VIBE- not the model, but a VIBE. We love our 268RKS.
As I was looking for a VIBE (my wife seen it and that's what she wanted- no other options), she checked the floor plans and I checked the weight sticker, knowing, what my truck can do. 90% of the ones she liked, my answer was: you did not wanted me to buy a 2500, now you can't have this one- too heavy. This is, what you should have done. one thing, over the thumb, you can consider while looking for campers- with a half ton- 1 slide. you will not get one with 2 or more slides in a weight class, you can pull with a half ton.
the only thing I can tell you- and I'm straight forward with this- if you can't find something with a dry weight of 6500# (which will be ~8-8500# loaded), either burry your dream and take something else, or buy a 3/4 ton. That's just about it.
A almost 8000# dry weight camper will be at least 9500 - 10000# loaded over 37 foot! that's big. very big. regardless, what you do. And this is clearly too much for a half ton truck.
The only option you have is, if you check the VIBE Extreme Lite 315BHK, it's somewhat similar but about 2000# lighter! and has only 1 slide. This is, what you can pull with your truck.
As a side note, just to clarify- a Weight Distribution Hitch does not increase your tongue weight capability.
I'm all for it, when it comes to 1500. I also know, the truck can do, what's on the sticker. But this camper would be even for me too much. If you read my posts, you know, what I'm talking about. And I'm serious about it.
if the trailer is significant heavier than the tow vehicle, I have a problem. and here with ~10000# loaded (I assume, you have lots of kids, needing a camper like this = lots of unexpected stuff to take with) it's just too much and clear in the 3/4 ton range. A gasser, like the RAM 2500 with 5.7 Hemi would be the right tow vehicle for this camper. note- it's not the engine- the engine can take it easy- it's the rest of the truck. you will have problems to keep this one on the road with a 1500.
sorry about the missing flowers- I hope nobody is offended now.
@SmokeyWren- when I read your answer- I'm very surprised. Or is it, because he has the same truck as yours?
guy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:03 AM   #10

stickers? imho, a 9400# TT will be driving your truck, not vice versa. you are well advised to upscale to the 250/2500 class.

I have a CDL. I remember always the words of my respected teacher: "you can be in the right, and be dead right. always give yourself a margin for safety, and don't push the boundaries. the life you save may be your own."
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 07:55 AM   #11

It won't be relaxing to tow as long as the cargo capacity is there.
If your way over on CC it wouldn't be advised at all.
Old 08-08-2017, 08:20 AM   #12

On the way back from Yellowstone last month, we saw three overturned rigs in two days. This was Friday and Saturday after the July 4th holiday - so lots of rigs on the road. All three appeared to have tow vehicles that were too small for the load being pulled.

Don't bank on "might work" - pick a smaller unit or a larger truck.
Papa Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:03 PM   #13

I'll keep this simple, and not math related. You will hate trying to pull that with your truck. I also have a VIBE - it's a 2017 308BHS - 7200 dry, 36'9", and I'm towing it with 2016 F150 Platinum Ecoboost 3.5L FX4 CCSB Max Tow, and using the best hitch out there (ProPride or Hensley)...weights and math are one thing...but since my TT is so long (and yours is longer), the crosswinds are too much for this light of a truck. As painful as it is...I'm selling my truck, and have a new 2017 Super Duty diesel on order. As above poster mentioned also...too many accidents with undersized trucks. Best of luck to you...
54Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #14

I pull a Kodiak 299BHSL with a 14' F150 5.0 I'm under 7500lbs loaded. Cruise 70mph all day no problem except the 8.3 mpg. But driving 30k miles a yr for work makes it worth while. I couldn't afford a f250 as a daily driver.
Shmelton is offline   Reply With Quote