Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2012, 07:48 PM   #1

Ok so now I'm a little worried!!

So after purchasing my 2012 27' hideout, I am now worried that my 2007 Ford Expedition may not have the capacity to tow it!? According to my simplified version of calculating I'm 612 # over. My GCWR= 14928
GVWR= 7700
Towing Cap= 9200
Hitch weight= 840

My hideout weight=6230
Cargo capacity= 1610
Any help would be great!!
Camp Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #2

Also it is a V8 5.4 liter
Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Camp Chris,
The only way to be sure where you are is to fill the tv with gas, load whatever gear you would normally carry, along with the family and any pets, hook up the trailer that is loaded the way you would be pulling it, and go to the truck scales, then you would know for sure where you are out without any guessing. if you are indeed withint 600#, then you can adjust what you carry accordingly to remove the 600#, like less water, maybe a few less tools, etc. Putting it on the scales is the only way you will know for sure where you are at.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is the RV weight actual or from the manufacturers spec's?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 09:38 PM   #5

Manufacturer I believe... it was the same as the dealers to though.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:39 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
AS noted, load up the bus, fill the tank and head to the scales and get a real weight on the Expy. Now load the trailer for travel and head back to the scales and get real weights.

Your manufacturers 9200# tow capacity is in reality closer to 7300# (80%) when you tak into account the passenger and cargo load in the Expy.

The problem with the EXPY is the hitch weight and the trucks GVWR and rear Axle GAWR. Your loaded hitch weight should fall aronf 11 or 12% of the loaded trailer weight. The Expy does not have a large payload capacity and may be overloaded with the hitch weight plus passengers and cargo in the truck.

I would also add a larger external transmission cooler, HD shocks and change the tires to LT series instead of the P series.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ditto....check out your weight....nothing worse than living with regret after you've blown your transmission or worse.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:04 AM   #8

Talk about closing the barn door after the horse is out. You should have asked these questions before you bought the trailer.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #9

Thanks for the enlightenment Roy... I did ask the dealer and they said it would be no problem... I asked a few times.. maybe my fault for taking their word for it.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:25 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
Talk about closing the barn door after the horse is out. You should have asked these questions before you bought the trailer.
Ya now...you may be right but you don't need to be so "correct" (read - RUDE) in your assessment of the OP's mistake.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp Chris View Post
Thanks for the enlightenment Roy... I did ask the dealer and they said it would be no problem... I asked a few times.. maybe my fault for taking their word for it.
The classic trap. Folks think they can trust all dealers to tell the whole truth. The problem is for newbies that it may be hard to ask the right questions and then know how to verify the answers given are true.

Do as has been suggested and get all the data you can. You need to look at your tow vehicle's owner's manual and verify the certain limitations including hitch capabilities, max tongue weight, GCWR, TT weight and figure out just what you have.

Good Luck. If you made a mistake, don't try to fix it by ignoring it. Either figure out how you can reduce weights or go back to the dealer and see if you can get this sorted out. Go over the top of your sales person to sales management. A reputable dealership should work with you to fix this. If not...I don't know what else to say but sorry.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Camp Chris, Yes get it on a scale, though if using it for camping trips I find it hard to believe you will put 1,600lbs. in the trailer. That's a lot of stuff.

Mike
Old 07-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
I think the spirit of this forum is to offer help to fellow RVers, not to chastise them for honest mistakes. At least, I hope so.
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 AM   #14

Regarding dealer honesty..

In the late 60's I was eyeballing a new 13ft Shasta TT at a dealer. I told the sales scum..er guy that I needed to get an actual TV before I could consider the TT. He asked what I had and then told me, eye to eye, that my car would tow this trailer just fine. My car?....A 1967 VW Beetle!

BTW that Shasta was about $800!!

Don't get discouraged CC..I didn't
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote