Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #1

Angry Ok, you guys got me scared

I can't sleep for worrying. So I decided to swap my Subaru for my mom's Buick Rainer for the camping trip this weekend. Think I could have made it, but if I am wrong, it could really get messy. Just not worth risking the lives and/or the car on a maybe, think I could.

Before my dad got sick he towed a 29' with a slide, with this, so I know it'll pull the 21' anywhere. My dad added heavy duty springs, and self leveling shocks, as well as transmission cooler. 5.7l engine should pull 3,000 lbs plus people I am sure. And I won't have to flip out about what I am carrying. Just not too excited about the mpg.

My mom's been talking about trading it off on a smaller car, with better gas mileage, so it'll probably end up being my new tow vehicle.

Just so you're aware, I really hate being wrong.
ken90004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #2

Good call Ken.. I know it is cliche... but better safe than sorry. (especially with precious cargo.. family)

Have a good trip!

Mal
Maladjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I think you have made a wise decision. Have you been able to compare towing of the two? I'm betting there is a noticeable difference.

When you say you hate to be wrong - I assume you are referring to if you had found towing with the Subaru to be a wrong decision - since that would have been awful.

As for the milage - think you were going < 600 miles round trip. Not a bad trade off for peace of mind and added safety. I'm sure dear old dad is smiling on ya for this.

While on the road keep an eye out for folks who's trailer is whipping them around like a red headed step child - you will likely see at least one. When ya do, you will be glad it's not you.

Now catch up on your sleep before heading out. No drowsy driving allowed. And - have a great time!
Steve
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
I'm glad to see you rethought this. I think you'll be glad that you did. Enjoy your trip.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:43 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Peace of mind is a wonderful thing! Enjoy the trip!
Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2018 Honda CRV . Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Agree.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good call, far better to be safe. Now your trip is going to be enjoyable.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #9

iRV2 No Limits Club
I tow with a Subaru Outback which has a rating of 3000#. It is the 3.6R and it does have a substantial oil cooler. We did a trip from Ohio to California last year and the only concern was coming down Tioga pass from 10,000 feet, the brakes were smoking and that is with trailer brakes. Gas mileage is about 18MPG
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche
I tow with a Subaru Outback which has a rating of 3000#. It is the 3.6R and it does have a substantial oil cooler. We did a trip from Ohio to California last year and the only concern was coming down Tioga pass from 10,000 feet, the brakes were smoking and that is with trailer brakes. Gas mileage is about 18MPG
Was that with your lovely teardrop trailer?

Edit - from The OPs other thread

"I've towed a PU for years, and utility trailers with ATV and furniture, so I'm not exactly new to towing, just new to towing a 21', 2700lb TT.

The TV is a boxer-4 engine with awd, rated 2700lbs and the TT sticker was 2740 from the factory. I removed the spare tire and bracket to cut some weight."

RVM2 -- Steve --
Old 08-02-2013, 01:42 AM   #11

On a Subaru forum i heard from a 3.6r towing a car. Heard a lot of good things about the boxers, only wished id got the 3.6r. Maybe next time.
ken90004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:25 AM   #12
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I wonder what the overall differences in MPG is? I'm just going to throw figures out, but the Buick, let's say, get's 10 mpg towing, and the Subaru, 15.

I think you have made the wise decisions and the extra $50-70 is going to be well worth the price of peace of mind.

Enjoy your trip, enjoy your family, and stay safe.

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:14 AM   #13

iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes we are towing a large teardrop (6 X 11) that is probably about 1800+# with all the junk in it, including a 100# 150 AH AGM battery. I am getting between 16.5 MPG with the canoe on top of the car to 18 MPG with out, this at 60 to 70 MPH. It averages 25 MPG normally and 30MPG sustained highway.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 07:58 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche
Yes we are towing a large teardrop (6 X 11) that is probably about 1800+# with all the junk in it, including a 100# 150 AH AGM battery. I am getting between 16.5 MPG with the canoe on top of the car to 18 MPG with out, this at 60 to 70 MPH. It averages 25 MPG normally and 30MPG sustained highway.
Yep - you haven't visited us on the other thread lately but I have visited your bucket and knew what you were doing. That's a great pic with the canoe on top of the Subaru - that's one heck of a canoe! I had to ask though cause in another thread - the OP had indicated he was going to be 100 #'s minimum overweight pulling a 21' TT at 3,000+ pounds. Not sure why he opened a new thread to close that one out - with what I feel was a wise decision. So canoe or not - how would you feel about another 10' in length - 2' in width - 1,200 more pounds and not having the mirrors to see your tail end?

Catch ya in that other thread.
RVM2 - Steve and Annie