Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2020, 05:42 AM   #29

Don't know how true it is but I heard you should use sythetic oil to help the timing chain on the 3.5 Eco-Boost. The design flaw in that timing chain is it is too long and as it wears it stretches. Synthetic oil helps lubricate that timing chain better and reduces the wear.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2020, 05:55 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyp4951 View Post
The 3.5 EB is a great motor, but being designed originally for racing, with twin cams, and twin turbos, I would not consider it for a tow vehicle.
If, and when the timing chain stretches, your looking at $$$$ to repair, or replace.
Your 5.7 Hemi is a workhorse, and has a lot less moving parts.

Well, that just isn't so. It was designed for the F150 and for torque. It will out-pull ANY normally aspirated V8. Many Ecoboosts now have a good 200K miles on them without issue.

But, previous posts are on the right track about why it is not in the SDs. The duty cycles are much tougher. A gas turbo engine puts out a lot of heat. Constant heavy loads would be a risk in the commercial market. The Ecoboost is fine for the individual with less intensive towing requirements.

P.S. I put 110K on my Ecoboost pulling a fifth wheel all over the "west" and in the mountains. I sold it to a construction company that uses it for towing flatbeds with equipment. It now has over 200K on it and is going strong. They say it out-pulls all of their heavy duty gas trucks.
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 06:19 AM   #31
YC1

Our 2016 Limited Edition with all the bells and whistles is the most comfortable and fastest pickup I have ever driven. It has the 3.5 .. This thing is a dragster. The features like 360 degree camera really makes parking in tight spaces a breeze.

I haven't used the trailer backup feature because of years of backing. I do wish the rear camera could be used while in motion. It would be nice to check on the hitch like I can with my RV towing.

The in dash entertainment system will integrate with apps on the phone such as Waze.

Heated and cooled seats. Tail gate entry step which is really nice now that I am officially old. Retracting entry steps makes getting short granny in easier.

There is a software program out there called something like Forscan and you can make some pleasant changes such as stopping the horn from honking every time you step out with the engine running.

My mileage is decent enough to make me happy. If I was going to pull a monster 5th wheel the 250 diesel would be my choice. My brother has one and the acceleration stunned me. It is a 150 on steroids.

Make sure you get the Adaptive Cruise control. It makes driving in heavy traffic much easier. The lane keep option doesn't work well in mine so I leave that off most of the time.

The 4WD 150 (check for sure) on mine can be put in four down tow mode in seconds. And it pulls beautifully.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:13 AM   #32

I would highly recommend purchasing a Hensley Arrow or ProPride hitch. It will make your towing experience with 1/2 ton truck a pleasure. Just keto in mind the RAWR. This is the achilles’ heel of the 1/2 ton. Also make sure you get the factory installed trailer brake controller. That are far and away the best.
pbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
There is a software program out there called something like Forscan and you can make some pleasant changes such as stopping the horn from honking every time you step out with the engine running.

X2 on Forscan. The F-150 forum has a very active community supporting its use. Lots of changes that can be made. One of my favorites is enabling Bambi mode - allowing both fog and high beam lights at the same time. Great for driving down dark country roads - see if some critter is getting ready to bolt across the road. Second was changing behavior of the panic button on the fob. Switching to need two pushes has stopped a lot of false activations on my part.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:41 AM   #34

I love my 3.5 Ecoboost, as mentioned when towing it pulls like a diesel. If you're concerned about reliability just google Mike Rowe ecoboost torture test. Someone else recommended running synthetic oil, who runs dino oil anymore??? and why the heck would you? Great truck, buy one and never look back. Another thread was talking about recalls on the newer trucks and someone said they all have recalls. Yep my 2016 has had 3 recalls: one for the door trim (allowing freezing), one for a possibly loose seat bolt, and finally for a block heater cord! That's it, the other manufacturers were for water pumps, transmissions, etc. major mechanical, my F-150 mechanically 100%.

bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:55 AM   #35

bross - it that a F-150 with the HDPP package?

I watched that Mike Rowe YouTube 3.5 Eco-Boost about a dozen times. Having him doing that promotion was a great idea and that promotion is impressive.

FWIW - if I could find one, I would pick a newer F-150 with the 3.5 Eco-Boost and HDPP over a 2006 Ram 5.7 any day. Just newer trucks come with many more features...like the back-up camera is the biggest best feature.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:15 AM   #36

No HDPP, just max tow, FX4, XLT etc. Payload is 1717. My own fault as I was looking for a truck with the HDPP and asked the salesman "Does this have the HDPP?" and he responded yes but he was thinking I meant the FX4 package which has heavy duty offroad tuned shock absorbers. Would have preferred the HDPP but as everyone knows, it may be listed as an option but whether Ford has actually ever built one, who knows. There were only 2 trucks in all of BC that had an 8' bed, mine and one in northern BC but that was also a Lariat so more $$$$ and less payload so happy with mine. I did add Supersprings because I'm nearing my payload when I load both dual sport bikes.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #37

bross - That sure looks like a F-150 with HDPP. I can see how you could be fooled.
I like that FX4 package with better shocks and decent off road ability. You have everything but the 2,400lb. payload. Just over 1,700 lbs. is not too shabby.

Just curious, what wheelbase does that truck have? It looks like a long wheelbase which helps control the trailer.

Also do you have the 36 gallon fuel tank?
Old 03-10-2020, 12:12 PM   #38

163" wheelbase and yes to the 36 gallon tank. The truck tows the trailer very well and have never had any kind of sway or actually any motion from the trailer, even in some pretty good winds along the Columbia gorge and over some of the bridges around San Francisco.

I'm not one to say, "You don't even know the trailers back there." You know you're towing but it's a completely relaxed experience. Way better RV experience than we had in our Class A gas motorhome with the Ford V-10.
Old 03-10-2020, 01:27 PM   #39

Fyi - I am a firm believer that wheelbase is very important with towing to control sway. That 163" wheelbase is longer than on my 160" wheelbase F-250. Even the redesigned and bigger 2020 GM 2500/3500 series truck with 6.75' beds even have a shorter wheelbase.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:18 PM   #40

Older Ram 2500 Hemi vs newer F150 ecoboost

I agree, this combo has been very stable. Not the easiest truck to park in tight parking lots (like Costco), but works fine if you just back into spots.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #41

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i had a 2013 4x4 short box king ranch with max tow package...it was a great little hauler of things, 3.55 gears

my 16 exp with the eco and 3.73 gears is a BEAST at towing

around here all the 4x4 f150s crew cabs (hot tickets) are max tow packages, its what the people want..

i have towed 9800lbs with both and they did great, the exp is a little better off line with the lower gearset, but rides so much nicer empty

the next gen eco engines are even better and make a bit more HP .

i cant complain about either one, the go pedal makes you smile, even towing.
the new 10 spd has to make it that much better

go drive the f150 you are looking at and do your homework. go to an rv park and talk to folks that are using them.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 04:58 PM   #42
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
I agree, this combo has been very stable. Not the easiest truck to park in tight parking lots (like Costco), but works fine if you just back into spots.

The 360 degree camera system makes parking in tight places uneventful. My wife cringes as I inch up to posts. Retractable mirrors and running boards tucks things in nicely.

Put the thing in Sport mode and turn off the traction control to get the bubble gum machines lit up.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote