Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2018, 08:46 AM   #1

On star navigation question

My new 2017 GMC Sierra has no GPS. However I can use Nav Star which is terrible. Anybody that has used this will know what I mean.

I would like to find out what other people are using. My Garmin GPS just does not fit the dash area and looks like a fish out of water.

Any Ideas what I can do would be appreciated.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would search for a mount for your Garmin. I think they provide a better experience than the factory ones. I have both and find the portable Garmin much easier to work with. There are a number of different mounts out there so you might find one you like and will work for you. I have used the clamp mount that fits in your vents and the bean bag style. Both have worked well for us.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 08:46 AM   #3

Does the radio have Android Auto/Apple Car on it? If it does, you can put Google maps on the radio screen.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
Does the radio have Android Auto/Apple Car on it? If it does, you can put Google maps on the radio screen.

Mark
Yes Mark I can put google maps on the screen. The problem is it is not very stable and I have lost the service when going around a corner.
I really don't want that to happen in traffic with a trailer.
Old 01-04-2018, 03:56 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Thirty View Post
I would search for a mount for your Garmin. I think they provide a better experience than the factory ones. I have both and find the portable Garmin much easier to work with. There are a number of different mounts out there so you might find one you like and will work for you. I have used the clamp mount that fits in your vents and the bean bag style. Both have worked well for us.
Can you give me an idea where I could get a bean bag mount. I like that idea,simple stable and easy on the interior.
Old 01-04-2018, 04:02 PM   #6

Definitely recommend Garmin beanbag. Tried another brand & gps spent most of time being rescued from floor. LOL. Each of my vechicles has a Garmin beanbag including RV with 7” GPS doing okay in regular beanbag. Probably tolerates it because dash is nice & flat since regular beanbag was never designed for anything as big as 7”

Satellite GPS remains nice & dependable
Old 01-04-2018, 04:05 PM   #7

Ps. Amazon has ‘em for about $17-20
Old 01-04-2018, 04:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lambert View Post
Can you give me an idea where I could get a bean bag mount. I like that idea,simple stable and easy on the interior.
Amazon.com....there's a million of em! Been using them for years

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #9

The Garmin bean bag works for me. I got mine on Ebay.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeq View Post
Ps. Amazon has ‘em for about $17-20
Right on thank you!
Old 01-04-2018, 07:37 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You can use the Waze app on your phone and it gives you turn by turn over your stereo through the phones bluetooth. Waze tells you if there is an accident or a speed trap ahead as well. I still use the Garmin in case we lose cell service though. Always need a backup.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:22 PM   #12

We use OnStar in the Chevy truck, Nissan factory nav in a van, Lincoln factory nav in an MKZ amd Garmin in the RV. I like OnStar the best. No map picture, but turn by turn directions and a live person to talk to. Just push a button and ask for directions to your favorite restaurant.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:14 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lambert View Post
Yes Mark I can put google maps on the screen. The problem is it is not very stable and I have lost the service when going around a corner.
I really don't want that to happen in traffic with a trailer.
Gotcha. Never really had that problem luckily, but when I am pulling my trailer, I use my Garmin RV GPS mounted on a bean bag like has been said. I wish there was a way to have a non permanent mount on the front hump between the driver seat and passenger seat that would place the GPS just below the radio. The plastic on the dash is too flimsy for mounting a GPS. And I am not a fan of anything on top of the dash.

Mark
Wileykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:48 AM   #14

Excel Owners Club
This is the one I use on my dash for the Garmin. I have had the Garmin bean bag in the past and I like this one better hold the GPS steadier. It has a very soft base and molds to fit the dash.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/garmin-...=ref:212,loc:2
Butch50 is offline   Reply With Quote