Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #1

I thought I'd seen a lot, but I was surprised by this one.

Today coming up I77 on the West Virginia Turnpike, I came up on what looked like a 33 or 35' Bounder. It had an extended hitch at the back. On the hitch was a Harley Dresser. Being pulled by the hitch was an F150 pick-up. In the bed of the pick-up was a golf cart.

When I caught him up, we were on one of the long uphill grades, he was in what I guess was first gear doing about 10-15 mph. 5 minutes later he passed me on the down grade doing about 85 mph. When he braked for the turns, I didn't see his pick-up brake lights come on until really late in the braking process, like when he was really needing them.

It scared me to think of what he might do, so I let him go, I'd rather have him in front of me than behind me.

Where are the cops when you need them? However, could they have done anything about it?

Sheff

2012 3500 Dodge dually
sheff69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2009, 05:25 PM   #2

I thought I'd seen a lot, but I was surprised by this one.

Today coming up I77 on the West Virginia Turnpike, I came up on what looked like a 33 or 35' Bounder. It had an extended hitch at the back. On the hitch was a Harley Dresser. Being pulled by the hitch was an F150 pick-up. In the bed of the pick-up was a golf cart.

When I caught him up, we were on one of the long uphill grades, he was in what I guess was first gear doing about 10-15 mph. 5 minutes later he passed me on the down grade doing about 85 mph. When he braked for the turns, I didn't see his pick-up brake lights come on until really late in the braking process, like when he was really needing them.

It scared me to think of what he might do, so I let him go, I'd rather have him in front of me than behind me.

Where are the cops when you need them? However, could they have done anything about it?

Sheff

2012 3500 Dodge dually
sheff69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:01 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You never know--- last week had a 33-34' Winne (in front of me) on route 46 near Boerne TX. pulling a 4 door p/u which was pulling a 2 horse trailer. Yep, with horses in trailer. 46 is very hilly and any time he got over 50 everything would start whipping out of the lane on him.

I know the Winne hitch is rated 5000 lb.

(by the way, neither the p/u or trailer stop lights were working)

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Well, that Bounder driver may be ignorant & most definitely unsafe, but I doubt they're illegal. You did the right thing by giving them a wide berth. They're surely an accident just waiting to happen. I only hope they don't injure or kill someone with that set up. Unfortunately, there are a lot more out there like them (as ruppr's tale shows).

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:20 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Over the past few weeks I have seen a LOT of 5th wheels heading south. Many of them bigger 5ers. It is surprising to see how many of them were pulled by F-150/1500 pickups. Like you, when I see that I give them plenty of room and stay behind them.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 05:24 AM   #6
CD

It's sad that the auto industry over rates their tow vechicles with the large print and fail to inform the potential buyer to "STUDY" the small print which takes a lot of that ability away.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Take a look at this site. After viewing some of the pictures, it might serve as a wake-up call for anyone towing with unsafe, dangerous hookups.

http://www.dangeroustrailers.org/
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It is really a problem in that too many folks think that you just hook up a trailer and go. They have absolutely zero concern about the trailer safety or proper trailer towing techniques.

As much as I do not like more laws and restrictions, I feel we need to have some license requirements for trailer towing and RV driving. It will not guarantee a safer driver, but they will have to learn something from the studying for the test.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:11 AM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
I think a lot of it has to do with what CD says. Over rate the vehicle and then use the fine print to CYA. I wonder how many auto dealers have sales people who have actually towed. Whatever happened to truth in advertising? You watch these TV commercials about vehicles with 4 Wheel Drive and you get the impression that a 4x4 can drive through anything, go anywhere at any speed. And many folks believe it and then when it snows you see 4x4 vehicles spun out or up-side down in the median.

Then there is the RV dealers who use sales people who never RV'ed in their life. They have no idea what it takes to tow or go RV'ing.

It is SO important for folks getting ready to buy a trailer (RV or other) to go out of their way to educate themselves; `cause neither the Auto nor RV industry is going to help educate them.

Please don't read into this that I am condemning every sales person out there. I am sure there are many who have the experience. It is just that I haven't ran into too many of them.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TXiceman:
They have absolutely zero concern about the trailer safety or proper trailer towing techniques. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I don't think it's so much that they don't have any concern about trailer safety or proper trailer towing techniques as it is that they are totally clueless.

After all, when you have RV and truck salespeople giving wrong, and downright dangerous, information to unsuspecting buyers (Oh, sure, you can pull that 40' Teton with your F-150!), it's no wonder there are so many dangerous setups out on the road.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yeah, don't go by what RV dealers tell ya either. When we traded in our FW for our coach, the dealer had a buyer already lined up for the FW. Now, we pulled that rig with a 2500HD truck & it was a perfectly matched set. A week after trading that set in, we went to pick up our new coach & saw our FW, sitting in the dealer's fenced "sold" lot, with a F-150 hooked up to it. Our salesman told me the new owner bought that brand new 1/2 ton just to tow their newly purchased FW. I can't believe they let them off the lot like that!

Just goes to show you, it's the BUYER that needs to be the educated, responsible person when it comes to towing. Unfortunately, often times, that's not the case.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #12
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Just today while crossing Ashland summit in Oregon I was behind an older Bounder with a Ford Excursrion as a toad. He was attempting to pass an 18 wheeler and barely had enough power to even stay up with the truck much less pass him. He got anxious to complete the pass and pulled over before the toad had cleared the front of the truck. Thank goodness the alert truck driver moved over to the shoulder or there would have been a hekuva mess right in front of me towing my 5ver. I was holding my breath on that one and sure enough as soon as I reached the summit and was heading down the Bounder caught and passed me doing at least 80 down a 6% grade with huge curves.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:54 PM   #13

On the crazy .net forum a guy proposed buying a 30' toy hauler and tow with a F150. The few of us who appealed to use common sense were drowned out by the crowd saying "I do it all the time". There is no cure for stupid.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 02:33 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There is no cure for stupid </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ray that is 100% correct.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote