Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2021, 10:13 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS7535 View Post
Considering both. We really like the ORV rigs but our current 2017 Expedition EL isn't up to snuff. We thought the F150 with HDPP would be a good fit since all the numbers fit.

After doing more pricing and comparison it seems like the F250/350 ends up being essentially the same price (within a couple thousand) of the F150 with the HDPP. The main hesitation we had of going to the Super duty was fuel economy when not towing (the truck would be the daily driver/family car). The fuel economy doesn't seem THAT big of a difference. F150 rated to 16 city/24 highway/20 combined (I believe) while I'm guessing the 250/350 will be in the lower teens, so not a huge difference in fuel costs.
Have you looked at something like the Lance 2445 or Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S/Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS? These are very similar floor plans in size and layout to the 23DBS but with overall weights that would fit better into the F-150 HDPP package, especially if you have more cargo requirements for the truck like growing kids for the bunks. Lance particularly, but Rockwood and Flagstaff as well, do have a reputation for being better built and better quality than most.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2021, 10:42 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
From what I've seen the 7.3L w/10 speed is going to be fairly close to that - maybe 1mpg up on the city/highway numbers.

That's actually why I'm considering upgrading to the F350 with the 6.2L. The F350 comes with the 10 speed auto trans. Figured that can only help with the towing and driving MPG.
BradS7535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 10:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
Have you looked at something like the Lance 2445 or Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S/Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS?

I looked at the 2445 and for the most part liked it. I might have to look into this one more. **Just did and damn, looks like they are even more expensive than the ORV!?!** I like the dinette in the ORV better, the U shape really doesn't give extra space with leg room being the limiting factor, and now you just have a smaller table. Also its almost 2' longer than the 23DBS. We were originally looking at the 21DBS since we don't want to worry about campsite size, and figured the 23DBS is only a little bit bigger, but going up to the Lance 2445 is just a little bit more...it's that slow creep up in size haha.

Rockwood/Flagstaff have the same issues, we don't want the murphy bed (want a permanent bed) and yes I know we could just leave it down, but...well...takes up space and the dinette on those looks even smaller than then Lance.
Old 03-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #18

Those fuel ratings for the F150 are not with the HDPP package. They're generic ratings for a 2wd with the 3.31 gears. If you're going 4wd and HDPP (3.73) gears then your mpg's will be lower. They won't be F350 6.2 low but they will be lower. I'm guessing by 2-3 mpgs lower.

Also the 2880 payload you quote is for a 2wd XL no options truck. If you just go XLT and 4wd it'll drop you payload down in the 2500 range. Still plenty of payload for the ORV you're looking at.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 11:44 AM   #19

I drive a 2017 F-250 6.2 2WD truck. So for that year I am getting the most mpg possible for the gas engine. I will tell you it sux. I can get 16 highway and 13 going to Lowes / Home Depot.

I am thinking about ordering a F-350 6.2 2WD with 5th wheel prep package.

Or just maybe stepping down to a F-150 HDPP.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:59 PM   #20

Personally I would be looking at all brands. ORV is a nice unit, besides it’s frame and suspension not sure they aren’t any better built than most.

ORV, and Lance have a factory service center which is nice if you were to run into a major flaw in construction, that you wouldn’t trust a dealer to do. But this is rare.

For us a unit that was easily 1/2 ton towable was a must. A 3/4 ton is nothing we would ever consider, as we would first go back to a DP. The truck gets used for so much more than just towing. We average 15k miles a year, with only 5k of that towing. Just too much of a sacrifice, when not towing.

Camping is to get outdoors and enjoy time with the family. Don’t overthink the size, as smaller units also have advantages. Don’t care if it’s a 20’ or 25’ box, I am getting outside at daybreak.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 01:51 PM   #21

ORV's do offer more standard features than many. Like the 16" tires, 30lb propane, large easy access battery tray, all LED lights, Max Air fans throughout, Large 78-80 gal+ fresh tanks, larger than normal CCC's, very comfortable booth dinette seating with a larger than normal table. dual pane windows, GY endurance tires.
Agree they're not built any better but at least they do build them with some nice standard features.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 02:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
ORV's do offer more standard features than many. Like the 16" tires, 30lb propane, large easy access battery tray, all LED lights, Max Air fans throughout, Large 78-80 gal+ fresh tanks, larger than normal CCC's, very comfortable booth dinette seating with a larger than normal table. dual pane windows, GY endurance tires.
Agree they're not built any better but at least they do build them with some nice standard features.

Agree, and some of those are easy to upgrade on any trailer.

Considering what the OP intended use he has stated in this thread and others, I would be looking at ALL trailer options. Considering no back roads, travels light, and 1/2 ton towable, no extreme heat, or cold camping conditions, and factoring in the weight, and profile of the ORV, it doesn’t match up. There is always positives, and negatives in any selection. Some standard features may not always apply the same importance to everyone.

For occasional weekend use I wouldn’t put out the money that both Lance, and ORV cost. Especially now with all the rate hikes over the last year. Take your time, and explore dealers lots. I don’t know about other places but here in the NW area, campgrounds are full for this summer already. Can’t find 2 days in a row all summer at some of our favorite locations. Believe this issue will grow over the coming years, and smaller units will allow for more accessible sites.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:19 PM   #23

Check the features on Rockwood/Flagstaff trailers. Azdel, GY Endurance Tires, Dual pane windows as an option, torsion axles rubber ryde suspension, wifi ranger, shower miser water saver system.

ORV are very solid trailers but so are the Rockwood/Flagstaff twins.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
I would be looking at ALL trailer options. Considering no back roads, travels light, and 1/2 ton towable, no extreme heat, or cold camping conditions, and factoring in the weight, and profile of the ORV, it doesn’t match up.

For occasional weekend use I wouldn’t put out the money that both Lance, and ORV cost...and smaller units will allow for more accessible sites.

We have essentially removed the 1/2 ton towable requirement, we are going to upgrade to an F250/F350. Agree on the smaller unit which is what has drawn us to the ORV (and the Nash 24B). I know smaller is relative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Check the features on Rockwood/Flagstaff trailers. Azdel, GY Endurance Tires, Dual pane windows as an option, torsion axles rubber ryde suspension, wifi ranger, shower miser water saver system.

ORV are very solid trailers but so are the Rockwood/Flagstaff twins.

The "problem" with the Rockwood/Flagstaff bunk models is that they are both over 30'.

Our key "wants/needs" in an RV are double/double bunks and a permanent front bed (not a hide-a-bed or Murphy bed) and the shorter (<30ft) the better since we will be mostly camping state/national parks. I've looked and I can't really find any other units under 30'

ORV 23DBS checks all the boxes at 27'9"
Nash 24D checks all the boxes at 28'8" (don't like their bunk as much as ORV)
Lance 2185 checks most at 25'8" but don't like the single bunks
Lance 2445 checks all but more $ than ORV and longer at 29'5"

If there are some other bunkhouses that check those boxes I'm all ears I just haven't been able to find them.
Old 03-17-2021, 04:46 AM   #25

Congrats on making a decision on the truck. You might need to order a F-350 with the 6.2 for the following reasons. I only saw 2 F-350 gas trucks and they both had the 7.3 gasser. Oh, most F-350's on a dealer lot will be diesel.

Now, if you spring for a diesel truck you will be amazed at the pulling power. People are reporting just over 20mpg on their single rear wheel (SRW) truck with the 10 speed.
Diesel fuel has 20% more BTU's in the fuel vs gasoline.

Test drive a diesel truck just to see if you like it. The initial cost of the diesel is mostly recouped at trade in so the true cost is maybe $3000.

Oh, trucks are in short supply now. My Chevy dealer only had 1 2500HD truck. My local Ford dealer usually has 7 Superduty trucks but only had 2 the last time I was there 2 weeks ago.

Good luck finding a truck you like.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:05 PM   #26

Spend lots of time behind the wheel of that 3/4, or 1 ton truck before purchasing. Maybe see if you can rent one for a few days.

Rode in a 2017 F250 with the 6.2, and it was ok for the first 20 min, but after an hour couldn’t wait to get out of that truck. The 6.2 does not weigh as much as the PS so maybe why that truck rode so rough. Spending a full 8 to 10 hour day in that truck wouldn’t work for me. Both the Chevy, and Ram HD trucks ride a lot smoother.

Not sure where you reside but out west cruising speeds are at 80 mph. Expect 10 to 11 mpg.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:53 PM   #27

My 6.2 F-250 rides smooth. But it is 2WD so maybe that is why. But the 2020 Ford superduty suspension was recalibrated to ride smoother. I will agree the 2020 GM trucks rides a little bit better than the 2020 F-250 4x4.

I test drove an early 2019 Ram 2500 6.4 Mega Cab. That truck was more clumsy than the Ford or GM.

The payload is most impressive on the GM 2500 HD trucks then Ford then Ram.
Old 03-17-2021, 01:33 PM   #28

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ford F250 6.2l

We tow a Nash 25C which is about 29' long with a Ford F250 4X4 6.2land have found it to tow just fine. It also rides fine when driving around town and gets about the mileage that Tuffr related. The benefits of a HD truck far outweigh the ride issues perceived by some. We probably would opt for the new 7.3l engine in the next truck since fuel mileage difference is really not that big of a concern. We've had Ford and GM diesels in the past and have found that gas works just fine for the size of trailer we now have.