Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2021, 03:14 PM   #29

I had a 12 Ram 2500 CTD, an 18 Ram 2500 6.4 and now a 19 Ram 3500 CTD. All rode pretty much the same. On smooth roads they're as smooth as can be. On rough roads empty they do get a little rough, but when towing all 3 were way better than the 1/2 ton I had that would be working hard to control the load.
The 19 3500 CTD is a joy out on the interstate. Last Oct we did an empty 250 mile trip to eastern Oregon and took I-84. Set the cruise at 75 and it was as good as it gets.

If I had a TT under 6000 lbs and no longer than 25' I'd go 1/2 ton. Anything over those numbers and a 3/4 ton will give you a much better 8 hour day towing.

Just depends on how much and how far you tow. We're both retired and will hit the road for up to 4+ weeks at least once a year. The rest of the time it's 3-4 days to 2 week trips.

A weekend warrior that only goes on weekends and a one week 300 mile trip once or twice a year can get by with a soft 1/2 ton.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2021, 04:21 PM   #30

If a HD truck rides and handled the same as a 1/2 tons do, why do 1/2 tons outsell HD roughly 10 to 1, or more.

I know I would be driving a HD truck if this was the case.

I know thatís not what you guys mean, when it comes to the ride of your HD truck. But ride comfort is pretty subjective. I agree on smooth roads HD trucks ride pretty well. The Ford, and Ram HD to me feels like a tire is out of balance. Iíve heard this more on the Ram 2500, and not so much on the 3500. Probably due to the higher air pressures, and road vibration coming into the truck.

Agree, with the 26í, and 6,500 to 7k for a 1/2 ton truck, depending on where and how often you tow.

I know many on here say go HD so you can get a bigger trailer in the future, but yet in the past few years weíve met more folks doing the opposite, just so they can get back into a 1/2 ton. No right or wrong answer, just be sure you know whatís right for you. As we all know this is not a cheap hobby.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 06:45 PM   #31

1/2 tons out sell HD's because, yes they have a softer ride, but they also fit in the average home owners garage, are less expensive, and most people buying trucks don't need the extra carrying and towing capacity of an HD. Most truck buyers want 20 mpg's and you're not getting that in a gas HD.

People perceive HD's as some enormously huge truck because it can haul on average twice as much as a 1/2 ton. And most of the time HD's are just too big on average for most families.

!/2 tons are also less costly to own. Parts are cheaper and fuel costs are lower.

A 145" WB 1/2 ton is easily driven around town and will park much easier. Not so with a 170" WB CC LB HD truck.

On average an F150 is $5K cheaper. Thats a lot of money for most families when car shopping.

Even if HD's rode as soft as 1/2 tons they still lag way behind in sales.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 07:47 PM   #32

I donít know about costs, seems to me most people are willing to spend high dollar on things they may need or may not.

Many 1/2 tons come with a 6.5 bed just like many HDís.

HDís feel more utilitarian, and most are not willing to drive every day for errands, and trips, especially those with kids due to the extra height. How many come on here asking what my 1/2 ton can tow? We all know this is the most asked question on this forum.

OP-good luck on your decision. Keep us posted on your progress.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 08:44 PM   #33

Many people drive 1/2 ton as their commuter vehicle. 3.5EB can get you over 20+mpg, HD gasser is like 10-14 mpg. Many people also don’t even understand payload capacity, curb weight, GCWR before buying a truck. Otherwise, why there are so many overloaded 1/2 ton rigs. But sometime I also see a lot overloaded 3/4 ton 5er rigs.

I once watched a YouTube commercial about GM HD with my colleague. It says HD can tow up to 30,000 lbs. my colleague assured me her Ford Edge can also tow 30,000 lbs. I didn’t even bother to correct her. I think she missed a zero.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 09:09 PM   #34

Wheelbase plays a part in towing a trailer comfortably.

My self case - I had a 4,400lb dry weight travel trailer. I had a Honda Ridgeline. The Ridgeline could not tow this travel trailer comfortably. It was a classic case of the tail wagging the dog.

I traded the Ridgeline in on a F-150. The F-150 towed this same trailer comfortably. The Ridgeline weighed 4,500lbs and the F-150 weighed 5,500lbs. The wheelbase on the Ridgeline was 122" and on the F-150 Crew Cab 145". I give the extra weight of the F-150 25% credit in controlling the trailer and the added wheelbase 75% credit.

The new F-150 with the HDPP option and 157" wheelbase and the 2021 tuning of the 3.5 Eco-Boost engine will surely handle the trailer the OP wants to tow. That truck is not the everyday F-150 but a very special beefed up F-150. With the 10 speed transmission this truck would be a great highway cruiser.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:42 PM   #35

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS7535 View Post
Our key "wants/needs" in an RV are double/double bunks and a permanent front bed (not a hide-a-bed or Murphy bed) and the shorter (<30ft) the better since we will be mostly camping state/national parks. I've looked and I can't really find any other units under 30'

ORV 23DBS checks all the boxes at 27'9"
Nash 24D checks all the boxes at 28'8" (don't like their bunk as much as ORV)
Lance 2185 checks most at 25'8" but don't like the single bunks
Lance 2445 checks all but more $ than ORV and longer at 29'5"

If there are some other bunkhouses that check those boxes I'm all ears I just haven't been able to find them.
Price, weight, quality: pick two. I'm going to generalize here, but Lance is what you get when you pick quality and weight. ORV is what you get when you pick price and quality.
And you said "permanent bed", you didn't way "walk around permanent bed". Have you considered an ORV 21DBS?
Old 03-18-2021, 10:46 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_the_ee View Post
Price, weight, quality: pick two. I'm going to generalize here, but Lance is what you get when you pick quality and weight. ORV is what you get when you pick price and quality.
And you said "permanent bed", you didn't way "walk around permanent bed". Have you considered an ORV 21DBS?

Ah, you got me. Yes we were originally looking at the 21DBS when we were trying to squeeze it into our Expedition EL. As soon as we decided to jump to the F350 we decided on the 23DBS (or Nash 24B).

The Price/Weight/Quality is a really nice generalization.
BradS7535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 06:07 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS7535 View Post
Wondering what everyone's objective thoughts on towing a Outdoors RV 23DBS with a 2021 F150 Crew Cab with the Heavy Duty Payload Package and 3.5L Ecoboost.

I know everyone will recommend an F250 or more. But with the HDPP on the F150 what are your thoughts? We will never be towing near the GVWR of the trailer (never travel with water).

Specs:
ORV 23DBS
Dry Weight - 6350#
GVWR - 9995#
Tongue Weight (12% of GVWR) - 1200#
Length - 27'9"

2021 F150
SuperCrew Cab
3.5L EB
Heavy Duty Payload Package - 2880#
Max Tongue - 1400#
Wheelbase - 157"
With a 4-point WDH and decent trailer brake controller.........NO SWEAT.

Go for it.

(but......if you are inexperienced, take a trucker for a ride....)
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:58 AM   #38

I have regularly towed 6000-7500 pounds with my 2018 f150 3.5 eco boost w/10spd transmission crew cab 4x4 and max trailer tow package. It handles it like a champ pulls hills no problem has no heating issues and got 14ish mpg doing it. The only complaint I could add would be the rear suspension was a little soft but I do not us load leveling hitch which would be a big difference. Or maybe a set of small air bags and better then stock shocks. Just for prospective I own 2 f350 and an f250 and until you get up around 10k the F150 does really well! I just traded it in on a 2020 Raptor and same experience but the Raptor has even softer rear springs. For everyday driving I much feeder the 1/2 ton gas trucks versus my diesel 3/4-1 ton trucks.
johnnyweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:14 AM   #39

I applaud the OP for the decision to go with a larger tow vehicle to meet his needs; we very seldom hear of buyers remorse from someone making that decision ;-)

.....and I agree with BNeukam's "1/2 ton line-in-the-sand" of a max of 26' and 6500 - 7000 lbs GVWR. You can certainly hook a half ton up to a trailer bigger than that and drag it around but it's far from ideal IMO.

Oh, and FWIW, I have 8 trucks currently and 7 trailers; 5 trucks are HD diesels of various configurations and 3 are half tons and I've towed most of our trailers with all of them at one point or another.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 03-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #40

Maybe the smaller one is better

I always lean towards the smallest tow vehicle needed, because I didn't tow that often when I had a trailer. The overhead of too big of a truck seems stupid to me.

If you are just towing on weekends and holidays and maybe vacation, my question is why the large truck? The average mileage rvs travel in a year, is 5,000. The average mileage a family vehicle is driven is 15,000. As with all averages some are above and some are below.

Why drag around in a bouncy crappy riding 3500 pickup that you can't easily turn into a parking stall for such small use? I'll let you in on a secret, the 350 is only a grand extra because they only add a spring to the rear. This spring makes it even bouncier than a 250.

I bought a used trailer three years ago from a person that towed with a Ford 150 truck. He loved the combination. I've seen the same combo in threads similar to this one, say no way, will that combo work. You need blah blah blah. Well the combo was loved, until teenagerhood struck his boys.

I know more people who left towing trailers because of bouncy trucks than those who left because of slow uphills. Drive whatever you decide upon enough to evaluate the ride before you buy. Don't forget to take the wife and kids on the ride, because they are the ones who have to live with the bounce.

I believe if you take the time to balance your load you will love the 150 both towing and driving around town.

Mike

PS
PM how many try's it takes you to get a 3500 into parking spot at the grocery store.
fuelish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #41

And on the flip side, it seems stupid to me to buy a truck that is too small for the task. I think it's far wiser to buy a truck that is adequate for the maximum load you intend to carry/haul regardless of the time spent doing it.....with a bit of a safety margin.

Honestly, I've never had an issue with the way any of my dozen or so 3/4 or 1 ton trucks rode.....maybe my expectations are too low. I prefer a slightly firmer ride to a mushy one anyhow. I've been daily driving my 3500 QC diesel DRW 4X4 6spd for 18 years now.....drive throughs, mall parking lots, etc. etc. .....I often park farther away than I would with a Yaris, but again, it doesn't bother me. I also have found that when comparing apples to apples (i.e. short box, ext. cab, etc.) that a HD truck isn't much larger than a 1/2 ton.

cheers,
Dave
Old 03-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #42

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
The new F-150 with the HDPP option and 157" wheelbase and the 2021 tuning of the 3.5 Eco-Boost engine will surely handle the trailer the OP wants to tow. That truck is not the everyday F-150 but a very special beefed up F-150. With the 10 speed transmission this truck would be a great highway cruiser.
This might be my plan #2 as far as a new truck (F-150 HDPP). Plan #3 would be a F-250 gasser

Plan #1, any day now Toyota will release their new specs for the next gen Tundra's (very very long over due). All indications are their main power plant will be the Lexus twin turbo v-6. My current warranty runs out next Jan on my present 14' Tundra.

Does it tow my 6400 lb (dry) ORV unit. Yes, would I like more truck? maybe. A F-250 is not a daily driver. Big difference in test driving one compared to my Tundra. #1 turning radius was the most obvious, MPG's as a daily driver will not be good.

Same as the OP here, I'm on the fence. It really comes down to what the numbers are on the new Tundra's, then I can go from there. One caveat, recently I lost my wife. If I can get away from owning two vehicles (other is a older Corolla) and use my truck as both a daily driver and my tow vehicle, that will be a bonus.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote