Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2021, 01:57 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
This might be my plan #2 as far as a new truck (F-150 HDPP). Plan #3 would be a F-250 gasser

Plan #1, any day now Toyota will release their new specs for the next gen Tundra's (very very long over due). All indications are their main power plant will be the Lexus twin turbo v-6. My current warranty runs out next Jan on my present 14' Tundra.

Does it tow my 6400 lb (dry) ORV unit. Yes, would I like more truck? maybe. A F-250 is not a daily driver. Big difference in test driving one compared to my Tundra. #1 turning radius was the most obvious, MPG's as a daily driver will not be good.

Same as the OP here, I'm on the fence. It really comes down to what the numbers are on the new Tundra's, then I can go from there. One caveat, recently I lost my wife. If I can get away from owning two vehicles (other is a older Corolla) and use my truck as both a daily driver and my tow vehicle, that will be a bonus.
Iím always a big Toyota fan. But if they donít fix that ridiculously low payload capacity on tundra, itís still just a lifted bigger body tacoma. I shopped new truck last summer and that 1200 lbs payload on a crewcab limited tundra broke my heart.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2021, 03:02 PM   #44

I towed with smaller trucks when I was working 17 miles away in the city. I had to drive Monday through Friday into work. On weekends I boated. I always used the smallest tow vehicle that could also tow the boat.

When I quite work I have been driving bigger trucks as they are no longer my daily driver.

I worked in IT and the company moved us to their downtown location for 3 years and I parked in a parking garage. No way to drive a big truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 03:10 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I towed with smaller trucks when I was working 17 miles away in the city. I had to drive Monday through Friday into work. On weekends I boated. I always used the smallest tow vehicle that could also tow the boat.

When I quite work I have been driving bigger trucks as they are no longer my daily driver.

I worked in IT and the company moved us to their downtown location for 3 years and I parked in a parking garage. No way to drive a big truck.
I did the same thing. Drove small cars till I got a 94 Ranger. Drove it for 16 years. My work was anywhere in the state as I was a Union carpenter.
I next got a Frontier and drove it until 2010.
Retired at 56 in 2009 and then got into the RV trailer thing. haven't owned a small truck since. No way could I afford to drive a full size truck 100 miles a day 5 days a week.
I was into road bikes for 12 years before retiring so didn't need a tow truck.
Funny thing is most of the 1/2 tons today would get almost as good of mpg's as the Ranger and frontier. I could've made do with a nice F150 2.7 3.31 gears.
My Ranger 4cy 5sp barely broke 24 mpg running the freeway.
The Nissan V6 AT only got around 22 mpg.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:31 PM   #46

I cannot understand the folks who bad-mouth the F-150 ecoboost V-6 engines for towing.

With a 3-point WDH, stout break-away chains, trailer brakes, and knowledgeable driving.........

One can safely pull 8Klbs and more safely and efficiently....and the low end torque is......lovely.

Certainly, a 550 will do better.........but the main point is too often missed.
picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:52 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by picker View Post
I cannot understand the folks who bad-mouth the F-150 ecoboost V-6 engines for towing.

With a 3-point WDH, stout break-away chains, trailer brakes, and knowledgeable driving.........

One can safely pull 8Klbs and more safely and efficiently....and the low end torque is......lovely.

Certainly, a 550 will do better.........but the main point is too often missed.
I think thatís because very few F150 have the HDPP option and most 4WD CCSB F150 have payload around 1600 lbs or even lower with many option in high trim. With a 8000 lbs trailer, thatís about 1000 lbs or more on the hitch if you account for the WDH. That doesnít leave much room for cargo and passengers.

Even if the F150 has the HDPP option, it is still too light to handle heavy trailer during adverse weather or traffic conditions. F250 is 2000 lbs heavier than F150 and thatís really aid to the towing stability. And a heavy trailer can push a light truck around. Iíve been there not too long ago.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:13 AM   #48

Your average guy towing a 8,000lb trailer with a normal F-150 will be over his head if something goes wrong...like another driver cutting him off. It is just not a good idea.

I do agree with increased weight of the tow vehicle will help alot in controlling the trailer. I think that is basic physics.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:18 PM   #49

There is so many variables when it comes to towing. Location, terrain, speed limits, and usage.

I will say towing with a 1/2 ton truck slight adjustments in your WDH can make a huge difference in how the trailer feels. You will almost always not get the correct setting at one try. Took 3 adjustments to get my 1/2 ton set up correctly. Truck rides pretty close the same as no trailer, but thatís at only 5,700 lbs. Many will just give up immediately, and move on to a bigger truck.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 10:44 PM   #50

We have had a 2012 F-150 with the Ecoboost in Alaska service since it was new. Still going strong and no problems. Several Alaska mechanic friends from the interior have relayed problems with the Ecoboost head gaskets and valves when the units tow over their rated capacity. The turbo(s) just keep turning out boost and the engine just keeps cranking out HP - the result is leaking head gaskets and valve seat / guide issues. This seems to be especially prevalent when the unit sees prolonged operation in severe Alaskan cold.

A few years back Ford raised the coolant system pressure rating to 20 PSI to more effectively handle cylinder head heat and power output - this should handle a lot of the previously mentioned head issues. If you are concerned about longevity and reliability I would talk with the local Ford service department - they are typically quite forthcoming and open.

Don't exceed the rated capacity and you should be fine. These are well engineered and fabricated rigs.
Old 03-28-2021, 03:52 AM   #51

Clean quality oil is key, especially with complex engines like cylinder deactivation or turbo charged. Changing oil at 5,000 miles should help with keeping a complex engine kicking w/o having a problem.

I know the timing chain can stretch on the earlier Eco-Boost engines and cause an 'out of phase' error code. This required a new timing chain. Ford fixed this issue in 2018 they think.

Turbo engines are great to have tuned and then run them hard. Lots of fun...but with added cost to repair, especially if having dirty oil in the engine.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #52

Changing oil at a set 5k mileage is one of the biggest reasons engines have problems.

If my truck does a lot of short trips, with stop and go driving, Iíll change it sooner. Or if a vehicles run time is high with a lot of idle time, this also needs to be taken into account with your intervals.

5k miles towing is a lot different than 5k miles not.

Many engines that are experiencing failure were commercial types with high idle hours that werenít taken into account.

100k miles on a engine that did a lot of short trips with a lot of heat, and cool down cycles, will experience failure, before one doing 200k with a lot of long trips.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:26 PM   #53

I agree with that as idle hours ect. need to be factored in. I was using 5,000 miles as a general rule and not an absolute. Usually RV people do not sit still and idle like a commercial vehicle.

But agree that engine hours is a good way to go if you idle a lot. I would change oil every 100 hours then.
Old 03-28-2021, 10:08 PM   #54

I have a 24ft, 7500lb TT, 1000 measured tongue weight with an Equilizer WDH. My rig tows fine but Iím maxed out and there is hardly any weight in my truck. The equivalent ORV with full tanks would be pushing it. Unless youíre boondocking a lot, I think the ORV is over kill. Ford is aware of pre 2018 3.5 EB overheating problem pulling heavy loads in the mountain west. Do a little internet searching. Cost me $1100 out of warranty for a new radiator. They never did give me a clear answer. Iím a full timer that has a full time job so a 3/4 ton as a daily driver was out of the question for me. Maybe itís PTSD from driving trucks for a few years for my dadís business.
USAMTBR is offline   Reply With Quote