Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2014, 03:59 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I have the best example of light load for a tow vehicle.
6000 lbs worth of Jeep and trailer pulled by 13,000 Truck (U-RV).
When I say I can't feel it back there, I'm not stretching the truth one bit.

This Jim agrees with that Jim 100% no such thing as too much truck.
My names not Jim but I agree 100%
-when overkill is cheaper-
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2014, 06:03 PM   #58

object of rv'ing is too relax. you will never relax if trailer is driving the truck on downhills or when it is windy. Sliding through an intersection under a red light is also nerve racking. Match your tow vehicle to your tow and RELAX
Old 06-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #59

Over limit - What happens?
I found this on another site for Dodges - someone complaining about a dealer putting the wrong load tires on a 3500 brought this response about bad dealers.

"I was denied Lemon Law through complete lies and the arbitrator was obviously not an arbitraitor. Calls to Chrysler went un answered.
Brand new, less than 5000mi Ram locked up 3 rear differentials. Was not Lemon Law because "I towed in excess of the mfg reccomendations." Based on notes from the first 2 dealers that it got dragged into on a wrecker, that saw the trailer with the truck. 2nd wrecker pulled the truck and trailer in together. Even with proof of ownership, pictures and gvw of the trailer in question (which was significantly under the tow rating of the truck......and the trailer was actually empty when the breakdowns happened both times!)

Warranty denied on a 1 year old 40k mi F150 with a 60k powertrain warranty.
Trans grenaded and no warranty because I had installed overload springs on it! That simple observation was enough to determine that the truck had been "abused" and used to tow/haul more than it's reccomended rating!"

So, "What Happens?" maybe nothing, but if you have a newer truck and it break down, the dealer has ammo to deny a warranty claim or lemon law claim. Use a properly equipped right size truck and enjoy the ride more and dealer is more likely to honor any warranty work (provided it is a reputable dealer - unlike the one in the quote above).
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #60

Those situations would certainly make a case for lawyering up. They would have to prove you were over weight. Adding overload springs doesn't mean you tow over anymore than the guy who tows over with a stock truck.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:29 PM   #61

Lots of internet stories out here for making ones point. Much of the time what actually went down was different that the original story.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:18 AM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Lots of internet stories out here for making ones point. Much of the time what actually went down was different that the original story.
There is always two sides to every story and the truth is generally somewhere in between.

I wonder about trying to get the smallest truck possible to tow the largest trailer possible. Why? Is it purely a cost thing? Is it something to do where nobody is going to tell me what to do? Is it because we always did it that way? Is it because the advertiser says my truck can pull a diesel locomotive?

There are a lot of opinions out there and lots of annecdotal stories. Bottom line in my opinion is how safe am I? I carry the DW and grandkids with me. Am I fully prepared for any expected situations I will encounter such as steep grades, high crosswinds and emergency braking situations? Will my TV properly handle the TT?
Old 06-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #63

Gulf Streamers Club
Nothing wrong with mythical stories, legend or parables to teach proper behavior. ALL the major and minor religions (like RVing) use 'em!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #64

Indeed why "smallest truck possible for largest trailer possible"?
I think that train of logic comes from selling the deal to the "bank of wife"
It is a lie to her and to yourself,the TV will wear out faster the closer it is to the limit and the frequency it is subjected to the limits.
I got away with it by only stressing the truck a few weeks a year,still was stranded twice by break downs (covered by warranty).
The cost was constantly replacing trucks every 3-4 or 5 years. -can you say $$$$$$$$ !
depreication and sales tax add up to somebodies collage education, our sales tax was $5000 to $7000 each new truck (13%).
I hate HATE taxes that high, asked myself do you love that new car smell that much?
No
So I have bought my last truck,the rest of you can support manufacturings 'planned obsolescence' and marketings new NEW ALL NEW better then last months offering ,more power more torque the your neighbours truck etc etc.
I am out.

new motto; when overkill is cheaper
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:33 AM   #65

Just found this in a link in another thread. STATE LAWS by State for towing - many States limit you by "Manufactured Stated Gross Weight". So, tow heavy, and you may be breaking the law and that means MORE consequences if you are involved in an accident.

Look here: Trailer Hitches | Reese, Drawtite, Curt and more under learning center and towing laws by state.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #66

Not mentioned here, you can be within towing ability of manufacturer and not within rear axle rating. Some larger 5thers can get very heavy on pin. I know
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 01:25 PM   #67

Monaco Owners Club
"new motto; when overkill is cheaper"

That 670 surely supports that theory...GREAT solution to the problem.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:37 PM   #68

The things we read on a RV website. We don't find state size and weight regulation on a RV advertising website.
There are no states that use the vehicle mfg gross weight or GVWR for how much load a truck can carry legally. The vehicles axle ratings/tires make that determination.

This email in part from the state of California size and weight folks:::

You were requesting
information pertaining to state laws limiting the gross vehicle weight
rating (GVWR) and/or gross combined weight rating (GCWR) for fifth wheel
and recreational vehicle owners. I have answered each of your questions
in the order asked.

Q: “Many of the owners travel over their tow vehicle GVWR and /or
GCWR. Are there any state laws against this? Or does the owner just
take the risk if they wish?”

A: The California Vehicle Code (CVC) does not contain a law that
specifically limits the amount of weight a vehicle may tow based on the
towing vehicle GVWR or GCWR. There are, however, laws that limit the
amount a vehicle may tow based on other criteria.
Section 1085(d) of Title 13 California Code of Regulations prohibits
the loading of tires above the maximum load rating marked on the tire,
or if unmarked the maximum load rating as specified in the applicable
Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard, or in a publication furnished to
the public by the tire manufacturer. This would most likely happen in
the case of a pickup truck towing a large fifth wheel travel trailer, as
those types of trailers tend to transfer a larger portion of their
weight to the last axle of the towing unit causing that axle to exceed
the tire load limits.

I trust this has adequately answered your questions. Should you desire
any further information, please contact Officer Ron Leimer, of my staff,
at (916) 445-1865.
Sincerely,
S. B. DOWLING, Captain
Commander
Commercial Vehicle Section"

This is how trucks operate coast to coast and border to border and didn't come from a rv towing website.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:00 PM   #69

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideandslide View Post
Sorry Guys !!

I thought this was the place too ask . All i wanted to know is just to want to look out for ! ???????

Jim
Poor O.P....I guess you know now what ya get fer askin'!

Thought you might enjoy this pic I snapped just the other day along U.S. 101 near Crescent Lake, Washington State. Watched two Staters pass this ol' boy without so much as a second look. Maybe they just didn't believe what their eyes was tellin' 'em!

Point being, this boy's "teardrop/catamaran toyhauler" combo behind that itty bitty tug makes your over-by-a-few-hundred look like nothin'- am I right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tearcat 2.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	478.1 KB
ID:	66452   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tearcat 1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	504.7 KB
ID:	66455  

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:52 AM   #70

So now that much info with emotion/good intention has been given how about some levity ....
Car Pulling Trailer Smoking: http://youtu.be/AyXgMal3C1U