Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2014, 01:04 AM   #29

Now my other post shows up (#27).
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2014, 07:32 AM   #30

You don't need a new turbo. The exhaust just clamps to the outlet.

A cold air intake is misnomer. Search a 6637 Tymar intake, or DIY intake, or the like for a 7.3. And the Zoodad mod.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:41 AM   #31

You can buy a short bell reducer for your new 4" exhaust that is 3.5" on the other end to fit the turbo outlet flange. I have something similar on my C-7 Cat turbo that has a 4" outlet. I have 5" exhaust from the reducer on back.
jauguston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #32

I checked the truck again today (in our rare sun) and it seems to be all stock. The tranny cooler appears to be about 6" high and the width of the main radiator at the lower end between the air con and engine rads. And does have the 3/8" tubing.

So it looks like I'll need the works. I'll have to make a list.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:02 AM   #33

Nor'easters Club
Keep in mind, a stock truck like that is a gem! Not to mention you have forged rods. Just a few modifications and you might become a 7.3 fan for life!!! Best of luck
Goneracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

All "early" '99 7.3Ls , even those sold in Texas, had a catalytic converter. And the cutoff date between early '99 and '99.5 was early December, 1998. So yours came with a cat. If you don't register the truck in CA, then you may get by without a cat, but you may not either, because lots of states - even Texas - have cracked down on diesel exhaust emissions.

So if you must go through a state inspection that will verify you still have a functioning catalytic converter, then you cannot simply replace the exhaust system with a turbo-back system. You need either a cat-back system, or preferably a new less-restrictive downpipe plus a cat-back exhaust system. And if you want a 4" system instead of the OEM 3.5" exhaust system, then you'll need a 4" cat too.

In my long post above, I explained what you need to convert your 7.3L into a good towing machine, but I didn't sleep because I was worried about not explaining why. I noted that heat was the reason for all the mods. But here's diesel engine 101 to explain how to get rid of the heat.

A diesel engine is a big air pump. When you increase fuel to the engine, you increase power output, but you also increase heat. The need for a huge engine cooling system is obvious, but the stock Ford OEM cooling system is big enough if the water pump, radiator and engine fan are working as designed. So keep the proper clean coolant in the radiator, with the proper balance of diesel coolant additive (DCA), and no worry about the engine cooling system.

The automatic tranny produces a volcano worth of heat when working hard with an unlocked torque converter, so the need for a huge tranny cooler is obvious.

But why intake and exhaust? You want to make all the fresh cool air available to the engine that it can handle to control exhaust gas temp (EGT) when you add fuel to the fire to produce more power. And after that hot air has passed through the engine, you want to get rid of in a hurry, again to control EGT. So you need much better air intake and exhaust systems than stock.

Your aluminum pistons can handle only so much heat before they begin to evolve into phunny shape and blow up. The diesel experts determined that about 1,250° EGT is the red line before those pistons begin to soften into putty. So you must have a pyrometer to monitor EGT, then control the amount of fuel added to the fire with the go pedal to maintain EGT below 1,250 pre-turbo.

A good intake and exhaust system doesn't "reduce" EGT, but it allows the engine to burn more fuel and thus produce more power before you hit the EGT redline.

Can you add a towing tune without intake and exhaust mods? Yes, of course. But you have to drive by the gauges and not allow more than 1,250 pre-turbo EGT. And with your heavy trailer you'll hit the EGT redline very early in the power curve.
Wow. These last two posts you made are likely the best explanations of not only what to do, but also why. Thanks SmokeyWren for the time to write this since I have been eyeballing a 99 7.3 for a tow vehicle so I am not tearing up my poor half ton.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
So Am I going to need a upgrade turbo too, to go with the 4" exhaust?
No. The custom exhaust systems from MBRP and others bolt onto your turbo and start out at 3.5" but quickly expand to 4". Sorry, but mine was a '99.5 built in May 1999, so I didn't have a catalytic convertor to worry about. Discuss it with a reliable vendor, such as DIESELSITE - DIESEL MAINTENANCE and PERFORMANCE

Quote:
When you say cold air intake, what makes the difference? It looks like any other plastic box with a filter.
I'm not an engineer of any sort, so I don't know why. But I know it makes a big difference. Read the article I wrote at this link:
TurboRamAir intake for 7.3L

The links in the article no longer work. (It's an old article.)

That TurboRamAir intake lasted about 8 years, then fell apart. I replaced with the Ford Severe Duty AIS and noticed no change in performance. So the TurboRamAir worked great at controlling EGT, and the AIS worked just as great. Western Diesel went belly up so the TurboRamAir is no longer available, so the current best in the business at a reasonable price is the AIS.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #36

Thanks Smokey,
I found a local shop here that will do the installs. They have their own proffered suppliers but will install others brands if new out of the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
No. The custom exhaust systems from MBRP and others bolt onto your turbo and start out at 3.5" but quickly expand to 4". Sorry, but mine was a '99.5 built in May 1999, so I didn't have a catalytic convertor to worry about. Discuss it with a reliable vendor, such as DIESELSITE - DIESEL MAINTENANCE and PERFORMANCE

I'm not sure the brand of the exhaust matters as long as it's a good quality. These guys recommended the MBRP brand at a discount. Xtreme Diesel Performance - XDP - Search
If I want a Cat I'll have to supply it myself. They didn't seem to know where to get one. I found a source here; MagnaFlow Catalytic Converters - 49-STATE & CANADA Catalytic Converters For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

I'm not an engineer of any sort, so I don't know why. But I know it makes a big difference. Read the article I wrote at this link:
TurboRamAir intake for 7.3L

The links in the article no longer work. (It's an old article.) That was a good read!

That TurboRamAir intake lasted about 8 years, then fell apart. I replaced with the Ford Severe Duty AIS and noticed no change in performance. So the TurboRamAir worked great at controlling EGT, and the AIS worked just as great. Western Diesel went belly up so the TurboRamAir is no longer available, so the current best in the business at a reasonable price is the AIS.

These guys also recommended the GBE Ram Air Intake http://www.summitracing.com/parts/gbe-42210 but at the going price.
As well, for the gauges with power chip they recommended the CTS Edge at the going price, which is programmable and can also get the trans temp sensor with. It will monitor the EGT, trans temp and the turbo boost, as well as other items that can be brought up on the display.

Any yeahs or nays on this stuff?

I'm still in search of a trany shop that'll install the 21 row cooler and do an honestly check out on the trans itself. Then I'll be going to the Mobile 1 ATF oil. 20 qts I believe with the big cooler.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #37

The Edge CTS is great for all in one, but it will NOT monitor EGT with OEM sensor, because there is none. It will watch ICP, MAP, and trans temp with OEM sensors. I wouldn't tune with it though.

Most shops don't know about any product past Edge or Bully Dog, which just shows they follow marketing and not real information. Those are the ones I won't use.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #38

Cold air intakes make sense in certain applications, but not intercooled turbos. Anything going through the filter goes into a 1,200*F+ air compressor and gets super hot. A clean intercooler is WAY more important.

That said, you do want free flow on the filter side, so a good, clean air filter and efficient airbox is key.

Leave the "cold" air intake to the naturally aspirated engines, where it actually makes a difference.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:11 PM   #39

I thought that I had added the link for the CTS Edge controller. Edge Products Evolution CTS (Color Touch Screen) 85200

But anyway they have their own sensors that are installed pre-turbo, trans temp & ICP/EPB but maybe not MAP.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I thought that I had added the link for the CTS Edge controller. Edge Products Evolution CTS (Color Touch Screen) 85200

But anyway they have their own sensors that are installed pre-turbo, trans temp & ICP/EPB but maybe not MAP.
They as in who? Ford OEM does not have EGT sensors until the 6.4s. But all others are already in and used by the PCM.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #41

There is this, which Smokey recommended; ISSPRO EV2 Gauge Kits for Ford Powerstroke from DieselManor

Along with this chip; F6 1-16 Position switch on the fly SMARTChip - Chips - Chips, Programmers and Tuning - 1994.5 - 2003 Powerstroke 7.3L Truck - Ford Powerstroke

I am a bit weary of Hi-tech instrumentation myself. For my boat I bought the latest Garmin $2500 MFD set up with a electronic compass, digital radar, heading sensor and a well known brand AIS. All hooked in to a NMEA 2000 backbone. First the AIS wouldn't integrate with the system. Second while I was 50 miles off the north coast of San Francisco the MFD quit working, which meant no radar, but had a couple back up GPS's. Fortunately there was no fog that day.

So I can understand being shy of the new Hi-tech stuff. But even the dieselmanor site sells the more expensive Edge products.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
They as in who? Ford OEM does not have EGT sensors until the 6.4s. But all others are already in and used by the PCM.
Edge, aftermarket! Edge Products 98601 EGT Accessory Sensor (Non-Expandable)

There is this too; http://www.xtremediesel.com/search.aspx?find=edge+98611

Tags
power, weight