Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2016, 04:05 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Overall length, help

Hi. Just about to order our Stealth trailer to haul a 2015 Fiat 500C and a 2011 Can-Am Spyder. Overall length with the 2015 45' Thor Tuscany will be 67', well within Canadian limits but exceeding most states 65' limit. Have hear California is super strict and we have a plan B for visiting there. Anyone else have problems elsewhere. We will be full time as of August and I hate to have to sell the Spyder. Thanks. Jim
Jimmy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 04:26 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
When I first starting Full-Time RVing I was a CA resident still working in Los Angeles. Once my career had ended I found a large enough trailer to haul all of my junk. The total length was almost 72 feet.

I've been all over the country and Canada from CA to Alaska to Key West to upstate NY many times over the past 6 years without so much as hint of trouble from any LEO in any state or Canada.

Drive cautiously, slow, safely and defensively. Keep your rig under control at ALL times.

Don't drive into a place unless you can easily get in AND out without difficulty.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 05:16 AM   #3

I am thinking you need to buy a house with some space to keep all your junk.

How do you guys store your junk when you get to a RV Park? Most sites are not large enough for a RV, car, cargo trailer and wide motorcycle plus a canopy.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am thinking you need to buy a house with some space to keep all your junk.

How do you guys store your junk when you get to a RV Park? Most sites are not large enough for a RV, car, cargo trailer and wide motorcycle plus a canopy.
I guess you have never been to Huntington Beach State Park in South Carolina... most sites there are 80 feet wide. and 80 feet or more long.
if you do not mind parking stuff in the grass.
my electric/water only site was 80 feet wide.. and 200 feet long, and was NOT a drive thru.

and I stayed there for 30 days.. January 2016 @ $425 for the month, including water and electric. a very nice place.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:50 AM   #5

Towing over the 55 MPH; all vehicles towing; speed limit in CA. Will get you a ticket .
I've seen 5th wheels with trailers on behind stopped in CA, but can't say if , speeding , over length or if CA doesn't allow double tow.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
if CA doesn't allow double tow.
Yes, doubles is allowed, but, only with a tow vehicle, a 5er, and bumper-pull trailer.

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:13 AM   #7

I have never been stopped in our motorhome and have been longer than 65ft and travelled in Ca. Also to the misinformation about towing doubles, you can tow two bumper pulls in Ca legally.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 07:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
I have never been stopped in our motorhome and have been longer than 65ft and travelled in Ca. Also to the misinformation about towing doubles, you can tow two bumper pulls in Ca legally.
With a "Double/Triple" Endorsement on your License....
Old 06-22-2016, 07:41 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy B View Post
Hi. Just about to order our Stealth trailer to haul a 2015 Fiat 500C and a 2011 Can-Am Spyder. Overall length with the 2015 45' Thor Tuscany will be 67', well within Canadian limits but exceeding most states 65' limit. Have hear California is super strict and we have a plan B for visiting there. Anyone else have problems elsewhere. We will be full time as of August and I hate to have to sell the Spyder. Thanks. Jim
Alberta and BC offer 65 1/2 length limit. Of the two BC is seems to be stricter for enforcing the rules.

I have not seen anyone pulled over in Alberta but a friend moving to BC got pulled into a scale with a truck and U-Haul and was fined for being over weight.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #10

Dmttransport, yes Class A with doubles/triples endorsement, but if like me i research and verify before doing stuff like that. I towed double bumper pulls for several years.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:56 AM   #11

We are a few inches over 65'. 65 is legal in Texas. I personally know of some 74' long. Most all LEO will over look us. Not commercial. If you look safe and not stupid likely nothing will happen. I have seen plenty of stupid.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:05 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I saw a "stupid" yesterday going south on I-95 between Palm Coast and the exit for Flagler Beach FL.

There was a Tahoe towing a trailer that was tongue heavy where the back of the hitch and trailer tongue were just about touching the road plus the front end was so high that I couldn't imaging being able to steer the combination safely.

I was almost going to call Florida Highway Patrol to stop this guy when my exit came up and had to get off.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Length varies from state to state, province to province. Would be nice if was standard. Is standard on the Interstate system.

Lots of threads about length. IMO very few LEO will pull you over because of length. IMO you have to do something to catch their attention. Speed, erratic driving could get you measured.

Have heard that in CA towards Glamis Dunes there are regular checks for length. I have no first hand knowledge of this but it would be a good revenue stream if they did. People going to the dunes have some very long rigs.
Old 06-22-2016, 08:43 PM   #14

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaNick View Post
Also to the misinformation about towing doubles, you can tow two bumper pulls in Ca legally.
My info applies to CA residents.

For visitors passing through, I'd imagine California Highway Patrol would uphold the laws of the driver's domicile.

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote