Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2019, 12:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
[QUOTE=Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
So HOW is it still connected to VAN????[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhagfo View Post
NOT STILL, it ended up on its wheels both TV and Trailer rolled.
OK, in the linked story it says...
"The van towing a 30-foot RV ended up on its roof, perpendicular to the highway. The trailer was still attached to the van, but was upright by the time the vehicles came to a stop."

So how does that trailer stay attached to the van hitch—with the van upside down".?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 04:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
"The van towing a 30-foot RV ended up on its roof, perpendicular to the highway. The trailer was still attached to the van, but was upright by the time the vehicles came to a stop."

So how does that trailer stay attached to the van hitch—with the van upside down".?

Really good safety chains with strong hooks.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:14 AM   #17

Maybe cheap aftermarket wheels. I see slightly lifted trucks with aftermarket wheels that look cool but we’re not designed to carry the OEM loads.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:41 AM   #18

Wonder what would have happened if the chains did break. I sounds like the trailer flipped the van when it went over. The van was airborne when it hit another vehicle in the middle lane. The reporter could have gotten it wrong but it said "left-front of the van struck the right front of the Toyota as it was airborne". Remember he was in the outside (third in this case) lane. If they separated it might have been less dramatic but then again could have caused more damage to others.
Old 02-03-2019, 05:46 AM   #19

Always makes me cringe when I get passed by someone towing at 70-80 mph. Not for the driver of the tow vehicle.....but for the other people on the road
Old 02-03-2019, 05:56 AM   #20

X2. Especially down here in Florida. Got passed by an old truck pulling an open junk trailer yesterday. The rear wheels on that overloaded trailer were toed out about 3 inches! I started letting off the gas after he got by me. I wanted as much room between us as possible as soon as possible.

Down here if it starts and goes into drive you will see it out there on the interstate.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #21

As far as the RV accidents go there was 1 major factor that was left out.
The idiots on the road that cut in-front of you and then slam on their brakes causing an accident but not actually being in it.

The trailer looks like it did a 360!
Old 02-03-2019, 04:06 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrankyKoot View Post
Wonder what would have happened if the chains did break. I sounds like the trailer flipped the van when it went over. The van was airborne when it hit another vehicle in the middle lane. The reporter could have gotten it wrong but it said "left-front of the van struck the right front of the Toyota as it was airborne". Remember he was in the outside (third in this case) lane. If they separated it might have been less dramatic but then again could have caused more damage to others.
The news article said the drivers front tire fell off. How could this happen without warning. Wouldn't there be some wobble before coming off. Was it a van as stated. Don't think a 350 van can pull a trailer that size.
bro61021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bro61021 View Post
The news article said the drivers front tire fell off. How could this happen without warning. Wouldn't there be some wobble before coming off. Was it a van as stated. Don't think a 350 van can pull a trailer that size.
Not front it was a rear wheel that came off.
"According to the Florida Highway Patrol, they were traveling on the outside lane when the rear tire on their 2005 Ford E350 came off, causing the van to veer off the highway. Carthcart corrected, but as he did so the trailer overturned, causing the van to overturn and become airborne before landing on its roof, while the camper landed upright."
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:53 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post

Grossly bent hitch and trailer tongue.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:32 AM   #25

Bad luck kinda to have a wheel come off your tow vehicle don't you think?

I have driven 1.5 million miles with out a wheel coming off any vehicle that I was driving.

What if you were pranked and the lug nuts were removed from the right wheel wheel. Would you notice?
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

I have driven 1.5 million miles with out a wheel coming off any vehicle that I was driving.

What if you were pranked and the lug nuts were removed from the right wheel wheel. Would you notice?
I took a truck to a shop probably 15yrs ago for an oil change. They pulled a wheel for some reason. I didnt figure this out until i was on rt 70 south of pittsburgh and noticed some noise in turns. I pulled over and 5 lugsnuts were loose enough to allow the wheel to shift when turning and one stud broke off. I was irate that they even pulled a wheel without my asking and then to not put it back on right. Im not saying this is what happened here, but things do happen.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Not sure if it could all be called "luck". Many custom wheels are not rated for the weight of OEM. Then if the vehicle is set up for hub-piloted, and the wheels have over sized center holes. Or maybe the shoulder on the nuts long, not tighten on wheels. Or if the nuts are the kind with washers, and replaced with pretty ones without, you can get the right torque, and not have the right clamp force.

Quote:
I have had one wheel come off.
First truck I had with with inner aluminium hub-piloted wheels I ruined some wheels (but never lost one) before I learned not only did I need to watch the torque on the nuts, but also needed to watch the pattern I torqued them.
The wheel I lost? Was grading a guys yard, told him needed a trailer moved. He said OK, went in the house. I hooked to the trailer, was standing there looking stupid when he came back out with a wrench and handful of lugnuts. I had found his anti-theft system

Quote:

LOL! To answer that question look how many cars you see driving on a flat. But would you make it to highway speed without nuts?
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc12 View Post
As far as the RV accidents go there was 1 major factor that was left out.
The idiots on the road that cut in-front of you and then slam on their brakes causing an accident but not actually being in it.

The trailer looks like it did a 360!
Exactly why I put a dashcam in my tow vehicle.
Brad34 is offline   Reply With Quote