Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #1

Parking on a steep hill

I recently bought a new TT and live in a 45° incline. I really need to get the trailer up to the house before we can take it out on its maiden voyage but am curious about issues with unhooking on such a steep incline.

Is this bad for the fridge to be running when the trailer is unlevel? What are the best kind of wheel chocks besides "lots of them"? The scissor type or just a heavy duty set? It's possible to back the trailer up to the house so the tongue would be lower. What if I jacked up the front ridiculously high with lumber or something to level the trailer? Anyone seen it done or is that over kill?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2016, 10:17 AM   #2

Yes it's bad for the fridge to be unlevel and could cause damage.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb71 View Post
I recently bought a new TT and live in a 45° incline. I really need to get the trailer up to the house before we can take it out on its maiden voyage but am curious about issues with unhooking on such a steep incline.

Is this bad for the fridge to be running when the trailer is unlevel?
What are the best kind of wheel chocks besides "lots of them"? The scissor type or just a heavy duty set? It's possible to back the trailer up to the house so the tongue would be lower. What if I jacked up the front ridiculously high with lumber or something to level the trailer? Anyone seen it done or is that over kill?
Curb71
You must use wheel chocks when unhooking.
Jacking up the front ridiculously high with lumber or something to level the trailer is okay, (but I would not try it on a 45° incline).
Running a RV refidgerator when it is un-level WILL damage it... (and eventually RUIN it).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:26 AM   #4

I doubt that it is 45 degrees, that would require about 8 foot of timbers under the tongue.

Yes, the fridge needs to be level, see your owners manual.

Forget the X-chocks on a steep grade, you can use them along with regular wheel chocks. I would get 6 of the heavy duty hard rubber chocks and use 4 on the down hill side and 2 between the wheels on the uphill side.

If that truck is 4WD, and has 4Lo, use it.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:50 AM   #5

Don't believe one can even stand up on a 45 degree. I have been on a 30 degree roof and it was tough.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:05 PM   #6

I'm wondering if you can even bring a TT to level on a 45 degree incline without bottoming out the rear end. Best of luck and please be careful.
stormrider15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Personally, I wouldn't do it. One small mistake, and your trailer goes careening down the hill, and you're on the hook for any and all damage. I'd find another way. I'd shuttle stuff up and down the hill before I even dreamed about getting the trailer parked on such a steep angle. Too many ways for everything to go suddenly very wrong.
Old 09-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #8

Parking on a steep hill

A 45 degree slope is a 100% grade.
I don't think I could pull my pants up on that.
I suggest that a way to lessen the slope where the TT is parked be devised. Perhaps a ramp of railroad ties with planking on top.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb71 View Post
Curb7
45°??

This is a 45° incline:

What is the real incline of your driveway?
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 02:13 PM   #10

Interesting posts on subject plus some photos.....
Travel Trailer On Sloped Driveway - General RV Discussion - Outback RV Owners Forum

Operating an RV Absorption Fridge off level for just 20 minutes will cause PERMANENT damage due to disruption of gravity flow that causes overheating issues. Sodium Chromate (rust inhibitor in coolant solution) crystallizes when overheated......plates out on inside of tubing causing an obstruction to gravity flow....more overheating/more plating .....ACCUMULATIVE effect (DEATH!)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:43 PM   #11

I hope you are talking about Paved driveway.. ( I know 45 is not real )

more than 5 degrees.. do NOT disconnect from 4x4 truck..

and NEVER on dirt/grass .. etc.

NO PARKING BRAKES... and regardless the size and weight of trailer .. It will move on its own.. unless really well blocked. and the under earth does not shift.

aka, parking on pavement.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #12

Can you park it in the street? Or on your lawn?

I park mine in the front yard all the time the night before camping as it's almost level, out of the way of any traffic, and easy to load. Since it's only there a night, no real damage to lawn.
Old 09-05-2016, 11:44 AM   #13

OK you caught me. It's not that steep. Looking at that chart I'd say my street is 25-30%
Old 09-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #14

I'm going to grab the trailer today and bring it home. Other times I've backed it up the hill just to load stuff in it. I'm going to try pulling it up the hill, leaving the chains connected, chocking it real good, and disconnecting. Then I can drop the nose as low as I can to see if I can get it close to level.

If it's still too far off level I'd have to park it down the street where it's flat, too far to run power to it. I could let the fridge run on propane but then I feel like I risk running the batteries dead and using up too much propane before the trip.