Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2021, 12:44 PM   #1

Picking Up My New F350 SRW 6.7L Powerstroke - Need Advice

Hello Everyone,

I am really excited that my new truck I ordered months go has arrived at the dealer! I am out of town so my wife will be picking up the truck with me looking over her shoulder by vide call. I have already asked the dealer to correct any recalls that might apply. What other things should we verify?
Any advice on what we should look for before taking delivery would be much appreciated.

Regards,

John
johns1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2021, 02:36 PM   #2

Tell your wife to go easy on the go pedal. I test drove a 2020 F-250 and was amazed by the power. I had a 2012 Ford diesel and the new engine has noticaable more power.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Tell your wife to go easy on the go pedal. I test drove a 2020 F-250 and was amazed by the power. I had a 2012 Ford diesel and the new engine has noticaable more power.
Agree with you. I moved on from an F-250 6.0 to an F350 6.7 The 6.7 engine was a blast of power over the 6.0 engine. Let me also add that the gray hairs stop coming in with the new truck. No worries pulling the 5er anymore.
OlBuzzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:39 PM   #4

My 2012 was 400HP and 800 ft. lbs of torque. That pulled my 15,500lb. 5th wheel easy up a few 1,600' elevation gains and made it a non-event.

The new truck is basically 20% more powerful.

After the OP let's his wife drive it I wonder if she will ever let him drive it. With electric assist steering - I bet she will love it.
Old 05-04-2021, 06:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johns1959 View Post
Hello Everyone,

I am really excited that my new truck I ordered months go has arrived at the dealer! I am out of town so my wife will be picking up the truck with me looking over her shoulder by vide call. I have already asked the dealer to correct any recalls that might apply. What other things should we verify?
Any advice on what we should look for before taking delivery would be much appreciated.

Regards,

John

Make sure the VIN and color match your bill of sale before she leaves the lot. I bought a truck from a dealer in Maine and live 150 miles south of the dealer and had to have them correct a error on the bill of sale , they had the color as brown and its a white truck. i could not get it inspected until the registration and title got corrected ($50.00 plus 8 more days due to Covid , DMV being closed to the public). If its raining drive it with a egg under foot , traction control is a must. have the dealer set your tire pressure around 60~65PSI front and 50~55 rear unless your towing a 5th wheel of heavy load in the bed. They may give you a hard time that all they can do is what the door sticker says , then remind them of the firestone tires on the SUV from the mid 90's .... they called for 23psi If I recall .
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc-mark View Post
Make sure the VIN and color match your bill of sale before she leaves the lot. I bought a truck from a dealer in Maine and live 150 miles south of the dealer and had to have them correct a error on the bill of sale , they had the color as brown and its a white truck. i could not get it inspected until the registration and title got corrected ($50.00 plus 8 more days due to Covid , DMV being closed to the public). If its raining drive it with a egg under foot , traction control is a must. have the dealer set your tire pressure around 60~65PSI front and 50~55 rear unless your towing a 5th wheel of heavy load in the bed. They may give you a hard time that all they can do is what the door sticker says , then remind them of the firestone tires on the SUV from the mid 90's .... they called for 23psi If I recall .
Thanks xc-mark, that is good advice - we will definitely check the BoS.

Regards,

John
Old 05-04-2021, 06:48 PM   #7

I broke a rear tire loose making a trun. So if raining be extra careful with that powerful truck.
Old 05-04-2021, 07:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
My 2012 was 400HP and 800 ft. lbs of torque. That pulled my 15,500lb. 5th wheel easy up a few 1,600' elevation gains and made it a non-event.

The new truck is basically 20% more powerful.

After the OP let's his wife drive it I wonder if she will ever let him drive it. With electric assist steering - I bet she will love it.
Dang tuffr2, like I needed something else to worry about... LOL, she wouldn't test drive any of the trucks we looked at before I ordered this one. She is used to driving big vehicles (we have a large family and our daily driver for 15 years was an E350 15 passenger) but she has never driven anything this powerful (and neither have I). She says she will drive it home and park it in the driveway until I get back...

Regards,

John
Old 05-04-2021, 07:42 PM   #9

Might as well get a set of rear tires ordered.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 04:21 AM   #10

Make sure you get the truck you ordered. Have them go through all the systems ac/heat etc. Make sure that your center caps and floor mats are in the truck and installed correctly. Check for any dents or paint issues. I had a dent in mine. Small but still a dent. Dealer said he would fix it but would require painting that area. I told them to leave it alone. Make sure that they did the registration correctly. They had my weight at 9000 lbs for my tags. Truck has a 14000 lb gvwr. In SC you have to get your tags for the truck and trailer. I asked for 23000 lb tags. The dealership argued with me. I told them to ask the DMV. They finally got it right.
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:48 AM   #11

If its custom ordered go through list, alot of salesman dont listen good and miss options. Make sure build sheet, window sticker and truck match.
When I ordered mine last year salesman got it right but ordering manager kept changing things, took couple times for him to get it right before he placed order. If salesman didnt keep giving me order sheet after every change several options would have been wrong.
Ftr918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselguy4 View Post
Make sure you get the truck you ordered. Have them go through all the systems ac/heat etc. Make sure that your center caps and floor mats are in the truck and installed correctly. Check for any dents or paint issues. I had a dent in mine. Small but still a dent. Dealer said he would fix it but would require painting that area. I told them to leave it alone. Make sure that they did the registration correctly. They had my weight at 9000 lbs for my tags. Truck has a 14000 lb gvwr. In SC you have to get your tags for the truck and trailer. I asked for 23000 lb tags. The dealership argued with me. I told them to ask the DMV. They finally got it right.
Thanks Dieselguy4, we will definitely look it over carefully. As far as I know they don't put the weights on the registration where I live.

Regards,

John
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftr918 View Post
If its custom ordered go through list, alot of salesman don't listen good and miss options. Make sure build sheet, window sticker and truck match.
When I ordered mine last year salesman got it right but ordering manager kept changing things, took couple times for him to get it right before he placed order. If salesman didn't keep giving me order sheet after every change several options would have been wrong.
Thanks Ftr918, The guy I worked with was pretty good so I don't expect any problems but we will definitely check everything in the build sheet...

Regards,

John

Tags
advice, f350, power