Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #1

Question Pickup Tool box suggestion please

I just bought my first Fifth Wheel and Diesel TV which has a tonneau cover in place when not towing...it's a 2013 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax with a standard 6.5 foot box SRW...AWESOME TRUCK.

I'm struggling with finding a place to keep my tools, DEF, Air Compressor, and other misc items and really don't want to keep them in my 5er basement. Could you please lend a hand and tell me what you'd suggest for an "on board/in truck bed" tool storage/box??? I'd like to have one that fits up against the bulkhead of the box right behind the Crew Cab and is just below the bed rail so that I can still use the tonneau cover when not towing. Would also like it to go wall to wall or 58-60 inches wide and no taller than 19 inches.

Any help would be appreciated...Thanx so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2017, 12:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Go to your local Tractor Supply, Ranch & Home, Farm Store. and try one on.

Truck Boxes Online or In Stores | For Life Out Here

613 LOTT RD, COLDWATER, MI 49036 517-278-0996
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #3

TSC is a good suggestion. You could also look here: Auxiliary Tank Combos | Fuel Tank Tool Box + Auxiliary Fuel Tanks | Fuel Transfer + Lubrication | Northern Tool + Equipment. Not sure what size toolbox you need for all your stuff, so the fuel/tool combo may be too restrictive. Just a thot.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:31 AM   #4

Thank you to the responses that I've received so far... Maybe another approach would be..."How and where do you store your Tools/compressor/TV fluids Etc"??? For some weird reason I just don't want to store this stuff in my 5er basement. I'd like it more accessible in case I have TV issues or if I can help a neighbor somewhere in the part that needs assistance. Right now I'm just putting my tools in big plastic buckets that are a pain in the butt in the back of my truck under my tonneau cover. Gotta be a better way.........

Old 04-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #5

I use a toolbox in the bed for my truck stuff for sure. What you described in the width and height are going to be a common size. With the short bed you may need to get one with angled lower front to clear the wheel wells but won't be a problem to find one at all.
Some brands are Dee Zee, Weather Guard, Delta, Pro Tech among many others some of those will have several different lines within the manufacturer Dee Zee for example has at least 3 levels.

I also use these sometimes in addition to my truck toolbox when camping not as much now with the fiver but our old trailer had limited storage so supplemented with a couple of these in the bed of the truck. You can put a lock on them though that doesnt keep anybody from just picking them up and walking off with them
ActionPackerŽ | Rubbermaid
Old 04-04-2017, 02:44 PM   #6

Thumbs up Thanx Barry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryG20 View Post
I use a toolbox in the bed for my truck stuff for sure. What you described in the width and height are going to be a common size. With the short bed you may need to get one with angled lower front to clear the wheel wells but won't be a problem to find one at all.
Some brands are Dee Zee, Weather Guard, Delta, Pro Tech among many others some of those will have several different lines within the manufacturer Dee Zee for example has at least 3 levels.

I also use these sometimes in addition to my truck toolbox when camping not as much now with the fiver but our old trailer had limited storage so supplemented with a couple of these in the bed of the truck. You can put a lock on them though that doesnt keep anybody from just picking them up and walking off with them
ActionPackerŽ | Rubbermaid
Barry, Thanx for the reply...I've seen many of those you listed, just have to say that I was a bit surprised when I saw how much they were...didn't expect several hundred bucks on up. Found one at Tractor Supply for $250 that doesn't look bad, not top of the line but will work I'm sure. It has the angled front end as you mentioned which I may need. Good thing is it will be hidden under my tonneau when not towing so I'm happy with the outta sight outta mind thing!!! Thanx again...

Old 04-04-2017, 04:42 PM   #7

In my previous truck I had a mid line Dee Zee box that I think I paid 199 or so for it from a Pep Boys Auto Store. I bought it in 02, it is still on the truck and working fine. No rust, well it is aluminum so duh, the latches are a bit stiff but other than that and perhaps more than a few paint chips missing, looks fine and works fine and never leaked a bit of water. So they can/do last. I put a Pro Tech in my new truck but only because the fifth wheel precluded using the cross the bed rail type box from my old truck otherwise I would have just moved it over. It is a much nicer box for sure but again the old Dee Zee is still working fine after 15 years. The Pro Tech is an RV chest type and only 10 inches deep but I have it hanging off my headache rack with a cradle I fabbed up out of unistrut so I still have full use of the bed floor for lumber etc well at least 9 or 10 inches or so of it and it sits flush with the top of the bed rails so no interference with the fiver either.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
Could you please lend a hand and tell me what you'd suggestfor an "on board/in truck bed" tool storage/box??? I'd like to have one that fits up against the bulkhead of the box right behind the Crew Cab and is just below the bed rail so that I can still use the tonneau cover when not towing. Would also like it to go wall to wall or 58-60 inches wide and no taller than 19 inches.
Rule 1. Don't go cheap. You'll be glad you paid the big bucks for a quality tool chest.

Rule 2. Weight is your enemy. With your pickup dragging a 5er, you're prbably close to exceeding the GVWR (and payload capacity) of your pickup. So you want an aluminum tool chest.

Rule 3. Given Rules 1 and 2, my choice is WeatherGuard. Here's the one you want:

WeatherGuard #664-5-01 = black aluminum low-profile tool chest.

Here's the link to the WeatherGuard website where full descriotion is posted, along with the fitment guide that shows it will fit your Chevy. WeatherGuard says 19.5" tall, and that it will fit under a tonneau cover.
Model 664-5-01 All-Purpose Chest, Aluminum, Full, 13.1 cu ft

And here it is on Amazon.com for a decent price of $606. Amazon specs say 20" tall but I'll bet it's actually 19.5" tall as WeatherGuard specs state.
https://www.amazon.com/Weather-Guard...Guard+664-5-01

If you really don't want to pay for a quality tool chest, then go to Tractor Supply and get one with their name in it for about half as much as a WeatherGuard will cost. Here's a smaller tool chest from Tractor Supply for about $280.
Tractor Supply Co. 60 in. Black Tool Box Chest - For Life Out Here

Tractor Supply also sells WeatherGuard brand, so you may find your box there.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote