Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2021, 09:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdo View Post
I rented a like new 2022 Class C last week and after doing the math decided that a new 70K+ 2021 F-150 King Ranch 4x4 with 3.5 Eco, Max Tow Pkg, trailer mirrors, No sunroof, and sprayed Bedliner with 1599# payload made more sense to me. It's more than enough to tow a 6K trailer in comfort and I have a new warranty.
For $70k, I would have bought a 2022 F-450 XLT with 5,000 lbs of payload.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2021, 05:34 AM   #30
mdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
For $70k, I would have bought a 2022 F-450 XLT with 5,000 lbs of payload.
That was list, I paid less. Had I needed that much payload, I would have. Since I will only be towing 3K-6K 10% of the time, for now renting what I tow, that would be overkill. My wife wanted a ride that was even nicer than her 2022 MDX. She said the massaging seats were a big plus as we made a 300 mile run yesterday.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:06 AM   #31

Those massaging seats do help when on a long trip. And the 3.5 eco boost is a smile inducing engine. Smooth and very powerful. Zoom zoom.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 06:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Gloves View Post
Some folks like to buy new, and they can afford to do so. Nothing wrong with that. If no one bought new vehicles, you wouldnít be able to buy a project vehicle.

As someone mentioned previously, they want a truck with a warranty and they donít want to become a mechanic.
Agree... some are willing to... I'm not.

Did the same with my house, didn't want a $350k mortgage (this was 13 years ago) so bought a home for $120k, spent many years and another $60k in remodeling and repairs, still came out ahead.

I completely get differnt people have different priorities. For me, I run the numbers and it doesn't make finacial sense. I prefer to chunk the money I save in retirement and other investments with the hope of not having to rely on social security when the time comes to stop working. In addition my investing has saved my bacon several times when unexpected events happen, something I wouldn't have if I chased expensive vehicles and other toys.

I made some really stupid fincial decsions when I was young in college that still haunt me 30 years later... makes me leery of spending big money on foo foo things I don't really need.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 07:47 AM   #33
mdo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post

I made some really stupid fincial decsions when I was young in college that still haunt me 30 years later... makes me leery of spending big money on foo foo things I don't really need.
Haven't we all made mistakes? I planned, invested wisely and have been retired since 2012. If I don't spend some now, when will I get the chance?
Old 09-04-2021, 10:49 AM   #34

Purchased our Ram 1500 Longhorn back in 2017 for 41k, out the door, including tax. That was 16k off msrp. At current prices, no upgrading here.

Been towing a 23í trailer, at 5700 lbs, for the last 5 years. Great combo, and staying small was the objective coming from a DP. Allows access to more remote locations for some ďrealĒ camping.
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 10:55 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrollf View Post

Did the same with my house, didn't want a $350k mortgage (this was 13 years ago) so bought a home for $120k, spent many years and another $60k in remodeling and repairs, still came out ahead.

I completely get differnt people have different priorities. For me, I run the numbers and it doesn't make finacial sense. I prefer to chunk the money I save in retirement and other investments with the hope of not having to rely on social security when the time comes to stop working. In addition my investing has saved my bacon several times when unexpected events happen, something I wouldn't have if I chased expensive vehicles and other toys.

When my brother in law retired, quire comfortably, he said the biggest change was a shift in mindset from saving to spending. That was an eye opener for me. Now in that position myself, it still takes constant reminders that it isnít necessary to put away X-amount of dollars each month. That part of our lives is now behind us.

You may find after a lifetime of living within your means, we did the same thing, that you can afford things in retirement that you would have never considered while working, saving and paying off debt, whether you need them or not.
Kid Gloves is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2021, 05:15 PM   #36

It helps to have a truck that is only 5 - 7 years old to trade. Seems trucks hold good value. You work your best deal and a new trucks is semi affordable.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:04 AM   #37

Picked up a F250 Off lease.

It had 30,000 miles. Had it checked over by our body shop guy and our mechanic. Both gave us the thumps up to purchase. We had our old F250 for 21yrs. Still was able to sell it and used the $ to get the bedliner,cap,running boards,window rain deflectors. Our mechanic friend put in the spray bed liner and deluxe rust proofing. The Rustproofing get a touch up every three years. It has been a great truck for us to pull our 26ft. HiLo Classic. We were able to pay the loan off. Now we put the truck payment away each month. Then when we have repairs or need new tires we have the $ in our repair fund. Love the four doors. It is a 2015 with 70.00 miles and it looks new. Our dealer keeps sending us information on getting a newer truck off lease. Not interested in going into debt. Saw a news cast about the chips in vehicles. A truck takes 23 chips. It takes 7to8 month to make a chip. Each machine costs 1million dollars. Many machines and skilled labor to make a chip. Low percentage made in the USA.
Sam 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 04:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Here is a new truck that is probably the most bang for the buck. 2022 Chevy gasoline powered 2500 with the heavier GVWR.

https://youtu.be/mkrQBIWeRIo

I have spent some time checking those out and talking to folks that have just bought one. the custom can be had for under 50,000$ the only drawbacks are the old cheesey interior and the biggie, they still use the 6 speed tranny. nobody I know that actually has one likes that tranny very much. they dropped the 4.10 rear end so you can only get 3.73 gears and the first gear of the 6 speed is only 4.03... other than that they may be the best buy for towing if your budget is tight.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:05 PM   #39

Agree the 6 speed transmission is a bummer. I wish GM would use the 10 speed with the 6.6 gas engine. I saw YouTube videos of a guy the had a 6.0 Chevy and traded it on a 6.6 gas Chevy. I think he was towing 8,000lbs. He said the 6.6 was way better than the old 6.0. It did not over heat like the 6.0 did and had a lot more power.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:41 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Look for a nice used 1 ton single rear wheel diesel....preferably one that is preDEF...2010 or older Ram. The Ford trucks prior to 2011 used the 6.4 L or the 6.0L and were a disaster for most people. A 6.0L Ford that has been properly "bullet Proofed" is fine.

Ken
I would say do this cautiously as I'm paying for that mistake right now. I wanted a pre-emissions megacab so our kids would have room. Bought a srw 3500 06 dodge and now that I'm wanting a toy hauler I see that I might as well have bought a 2500. 2600 payload and 13500 Max tow. Doesn't get you much toy hauler. Just make sure you look at weight ratings on whatever you pick.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 11:25 PM   #41

They are definitely not getting any cheaper... just picked up a new 2021 RAM 2500 Laramie diesel with a 5th wheel prep and all kinds of fancy stuff in the high $70's. It's more than enough for our current needs and should serve well when we do upgrade our 26' Outback to something a bit bigger. It tows this TT like it's not even there and makes our trips much more comfortable than our 1500 was.

No plans at the moment to go with a 5th wheel, but that can always change so we'll see. If we do decide to get something really big we'll just upgrade the truck again.
Jayc71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:49 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
I would say do this cautiously as I'm paying for that mistake right now. I wanted a pre-emissions megacab so our kids would have room. Bought a srw 3500 06 dodge and now that I'm wanting a toy hauler I see that I might as well have bought a 2500. 2600 payload and 13500 Max tow. Doesn't get you much toy hauler. Just make sure you look at weight ratings on whatever you pick.

You are completely right! I had a 2008 mega cab 2500 bighorn. Payload was like 1800 lbs. the only difference to a 3500 was an extra leaf spring. Great truck!

Now my new truck is a 2020 long bed crew cab SRW Longhorn. 4156 lbs payload and can tow nearly 21000 lbs.

But I can still tell you that my truck weighs like 9300 lbs loaded to go. Thatís new tool box, aux 46 gallon extra tank and gear. So I have about 3000 lbs payload left and I know Iíll be around 6800 lbs on the rear axle. Towing a 14000 lb fiver.

My advice is to always buy a 3500 truck if you go heavy duty.
MikeRP is offline   Reply With Quote