Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2021, 04:26 AM   #1

Pickup Truck prices

I currently own a 20 travel trailer that I pull with a twenty year old Ram 1500 regular cab. Its great for the local camping trips we take but were going to be fully retired in about one year and have been researching a small fifth wheel and a new pickup to pull it. We would need at least a F250 to handle the pin weight of the fiver.
Im shocked how expensive new and later model used pickups are. Im not dumb, I understand the state of the economy and why costs are where theyre at, Im just bummed about it. Seems well need to bring a lot more cash to the table if we decide to go the fifth wheel option.
I guess I wonder how folks can afford such expensive tow vehicles.
Thats all, just looking for therapy from my RV community.
C Hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2021, 05:39 AM   #2

My tow rig is 22 year old Dodge 3500 Cummins with a 5 spd. I'm into it with upgrades for 20k. Pulls my toys great.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200929_204200_544.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	341733
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:48 AM   #3

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a 3/4 ton. You never know what your future deeds/desires will be and a 3/4 just isn't enough truck for the pin weight of larger fifth wheels. Look for and buy a one ton diesel.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:54 AM   #4

Look at the lower trim levels. Those extra "bells and whistles" add a LOT to the price. I bought my 2017 F250 XL with the STX package (which upgrades it a lot from the "work truck" look) for literally half the price of the higher trim levels.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:03 AM   #5

Car and truck prices are going to get much higher. One reason is that the government wants to force people into buying electric vehicles. EVs are much more expensive to produce and the only way to make them competitive is to artificially drive up the prices of internal combustion engine cars. This is being done through the CAFE (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) mandate. If the average fuel economy of cars sold is less than 52 mpg the manufacturer will have to either pay a fine or purchase CAFE credits from a company like Tesla that makes only EVs. Tesla, by the way, has never made money selling cars. It makes its money by selling CAFE credits to manufacturers of ICE vehicles.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:46 AM   #6

Truck prices have been insane for many years now... they have become fashion statements instead of the work tool they were originally intended to be.

Same camp as @ramn4ver, own a 1993 F350 7.3 IDI Turbo Diesel. Short of getting totaled in an accident, I likely will never by a newer truck. Cheaper to keep and completely overhaul what I already have.

When the time comes, new engine is about $5k, new trans around $2.5k. Much cheaper than $60+k for a new diesel.

The trick is to keep up with the maintenace and care. Truck is always covered when not in use and undercoated annually with Fluid Film. I've done quit a bit over the years, front end rebuilt with poly bushings, replaced all the sagging cab mounts with poly bushings, new clutch/pressure plate/flywheel... are the bigger items.

Best part, completely paid for, no monthly payment approaching the cost of my mortgage. Just 4 months of payments on a new diesel would pay for a new engine in my truck.Click image for larger version

Name:	20210821_113017.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	192.5 KB
ID:	341738Click image for larger version

Name:	20210531_100732.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	341739
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
Do yourself a favor and don't buy a 3/4 ton. You never know what your future deeds/desires will be and a 3/4 just isn't enough truck for the pin weight of larger fifth wheels. Look for and buy a one ton diesel.
Guy doesnt like current pricing now, and you're telling him to buy the most expensive truck..
Smh..
Find the nicest old truck you can afford and fix it to your needs.
You will be farther ahead without the extra mortgage.. take that monthly payment and invest it into your used truck.
You might not have the latest bells and whistles but all they do is complicate and increase costs.
Just my penny thought..
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:57 AM   #8

IMO you'd better off waiting till you retire and hope that the chip shortage and shipping problems are better resolved.
No use buying now when supply is short and prices are almost non negotiable.

As others have said if you're upgrading your trailer too then go 1 ton.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:04 AM   #9

I started with a 1 ton 2013 Ram truck.

When it started having check engine light I learned how Ram (likely others too) had fewer diesel mechanics and would basically throw parts at it at my expense to resolve the issue.

I took the truck back, fixed it myself ($0 in parts), then got a new truck to avoid becoming a mechanic in my retirement.
I wanted to travel more than work on the truck.

Yes, I paid lots extra for a new truck but now I'm not always worried about where we might be when the truck pukes.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 09:10 AM   #10

It's probably not a bad idea to get rid of your truck once the emissions warranty expires, usually after 8 years.
move on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:02 AM   #11

I'm with Ramn4ver.

I took my time and just kept looking and eventually found a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually with the 6 speed manual and very low miles. Dependable as can be - none of the pollution control crap on it - and will pull anything I can hook to it. I will keep that truck until I'm too old to drive. So don't get in a hurry and keep your eyes open for something similar. New vehicle prices are insane right now.
deserteagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:24 AM   #12

Yep. Things are expensive. Cars, trucks, RV’s, food, fuel, campgrounds, you name it. Moaning about it won’t change a thing. Find a setup that fits your budget and enjoy it.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:32 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Look for a nice used 1 ton single rear wheel diesel....preferably one that is preDEF...2010 or older Ram. The Ford trucks prior to 2011 used the 6.4 L or the 6.0L and were a disaster for most people. A 6.0L Ford that has been properly "bullet Proofed" is fine.

Ken
Old 09-02-2021, 12:13 PM   #14

Here is a new truck that is probably the most bang for the buck. 2022 Chevy gasoline powered 2500 with the heavier GVWR.

https://youtu.be/mkrQBIWeRIo
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote