Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2021, 09:27 PM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Pondering new truck in Covid times...

Hi all...Thought I would put this situation out to the "court"...I am really happy with my current TV, but because of the twin turbos spinning along at 100,000 RPM, my intentions were to buy a new F250, 7.3 gasser at about the 80K point, probably late next year. But, today I received a mailer from the local dealer that they would kick off $3,500 on a new purchase. I contacted a sales person who I questioned thoroughly as to if this would apply to a special ordered F250 and be off the MSRP and she said yes! My curiosity first was raised because I have not seen truck discounts for a very long time and now this seems almost too good to be true.

So, court, what would you do? My Expy is in excellent shape and should command a good price either from the dealer or selling outright. Will the price of trucks come down in the next year or so to justify waiting? Should I wait or should I pursue putting together a deal for a 2022 F250?...Thanks much!
Bigfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2021, 09:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
prices of new trucks will never come down.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 09:43 PM   #3

Flyers are a Marketing Tool sent out to 1000's

$3500 off MSRP is not much of a 'deal'

IF you are in the market for new truck then sit down with dealer and get real figures
Selling your EXP outright to private party will bring highest return vs trade in at dealer

And when 'salesman' tells you "Let me check that with my boss" tell him to get the boss so you can deal with him directly. If salesman isn't authorized then why bother
And walk if you can't get a fair deal .... it's just a vehicle
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:21 AM   #4

In my mind the only number that matters is the difference in what the old was is to the new one. I recently traded my 2018 GM dsl pickup that was well equipped with 85k mi, dents, broken windshield and all but its in demand. I paid $56k for it 3 1/2 years ago and left with a 2022 Ram 2500 gas lower line truck with $0 exchanging hands and they paid the sales tax. I was happy with the outcome and thats all that matters.
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:33 AM   #5

It seems like things have shifted to be a sellers market. I would not buy a truck now. I do not have a crystal ball but can see at my local dealers truck inventory is low. So low that my local Ram dealer had zero trucks on the lot a 1 week ago when i drove by.

I know in 2022 Ford now uses a 12" screen in the Lariat trim and up. Look at the F-150 interior as I believe that interior is coming to the F-250/350 trucks soon.

If I were you, I would get a number in my head that I want to pay and stick to it. You can see if you can get a good deal or not. Be ready to walk out if you can not get your deal. Be ready to spend 3 or 4 hours at the dealership.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:09 AM   #6

It may take 2-4 months to get a truck you order, considering the chip shortage. Will they guarantee your trade in value and all of the numbers for that far out? I doubt it, they probably will tell you if you put more than 100 miles on it while waiting, the trade in will drop, plus the market for used trucks could crater.

If you were talking a GM truck, the current trucks coming off the line will not have certain options available, like heated seats/steering wheel, cylinder deactivation, and Stop/Start feature. (OK, I would have paid $50 to NOT have Stop/Start/) Not sure how other manufacturers are dealing with chip shortages.

We get weekly offers, for the last 2 years at least, to trade in our 2017 Nissan Rogue and they will put us in a new Rogue for the same payment. Since my payment has been zero since the offers started arriving, I have been tempted to call them on the offer. (We paid it off in about 18 months.)
Old 11-23-2021, 07:09 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
FWIW, I will be looking at a XL trim without excess electronics. 4x4, E locker, aluminum wheels, short bed, super cab, cloth seats, trailer brake control and I am happy. Don’t want such a long rig that it is a pain as a daily driver.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfin View Post
FWIW, I will be looking at a XL trim without excess electronics. 4x4, E locker, aluminum wheels, short bed, super cab, cloth seats, trailer brake control and I am happy. Don’t want such a long rig that it is a pain as a daily driver.
Not sure you can buy a truck without excess electronics today.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:32 AM   #9

Here is my personal experience FWIW. I up graded to a toy hauler and my 20 year old 2500 just wasn't up to the task of pulling it so I started a search for a newer, bigger tow vehicle.

I spent 3 months shopping before I was finally able to make a deal on a 2022 3500. I got the truck for exactly MSRP and felt I was lucky. My shopping revealed that most dealers were charging from 2,000 to 5,000 over MSRP, and some were even more. Just before I picked mine up, I looked at a used 2021 2500 with 10,000 miles that was equipped exactly like the 3500 I got, and it was priced 3,000 over what I paid for new. I was shopping with various on line sources nation wide.

Bottom line, if you need a truck and you can get 3,500 off of MSRP, that is a deal in these trying times. If you don't need on, it might pay to wait, but I wouldn't bet that things are going to get better any time soon. I was told by a couple of dealers that this crunch as been a "God Sent" because they are now able to roll back all the discounts they used to have to give, and they are not planning to start them back any time soon.
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:03 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
...today I received a mailer from the local dealer that they would kick off $3,500 on a new purchase. I contacted a sales person who I questioned thoroughly as to if this would apply to a special ordered F250 and be off the MSRP and she said yes! My curiosity first was raised because I have not seen truck discounts for a very long time and now this seems almost too good to be true.
I would be a bit leery of that, personally. My dealership was very clear with me when I ordered my pickup: Incentives would be applied on the day of purchase/delivery as available, i.e., incentives available at the time of ordering may not remain available by the day of delivery.

I got lucky; GM and dealership incentives stacked up to $10K on my delivery day. That was back in 2018, though, of course!

Having said the above, I'm generally in the "order/buy now; why wait" camp, unless you are waiting specifically for a forthcoming year model refresh that you are aware of.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:07 AM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
[QUOTE=Bill Nourse;5994775
I spent 3 months shopping before I was finally able to make a deal on a 2022 3500. I got the truck for exactly MSRP and felt I was lucky. My shopping revealed that most dealers were charging from 2,000 to 5,000 over MSRP, and some were even more. Just before I picked mine up, I looked at a used 2021 2500 with 10,000 miles that was equipped exactly like the 3500 I got, and it was priced 3,000 over what I paid for new. I was shopping with various on line sources nation wide.

Bottom line, if you need a truck and you can get 3,500 off of MSRP, that is a deal in these trying times. If you don't need on, it might pay to wait, but I wouldn't bet that things are going to get better any time soon. I was told by a couple of dealers that this crunch as been a "God Sent" because they are now able to roll back all the discounts they used to have to give, and they are not planning to start them back any time soon.[/QUOTE]

Bill, that is what I have read/heard about the truck market for the past 1 1/2 years or so. My local Ford dealer has sent several mailers regarding used vehicles, but nothing that I recall for new trucks. It is a smaller dealer, so maybe they need to get their sales numbers up in any way they can? Or ?...Still pondering, thanks all for sharing!
Old 11-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdude View Post
I would be a bit leery of that, personally. My dealership was very clear with me when I ordered my pickup: Incentives would be applied on the day of purchase/delivery as available, i.e., incentives available at the time of ordering may not remain available by the day of delivery.
The mailer states: Place order or take new retail delivery by 1/3/22, so I don't see the $3,500 disappearing with delayed shipment. The dealership also has a lifetime warranty deal (no additional cost) that covers major engine and powertrain components, electronics excluded of course.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:34 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
The mailer states: Place order or take new retail delivery by 1/3/22, so I don't see the $3,500 disappearing with delayed shipment. The dealership also has a lifetime warranty deal (no additional cost) that covers major engine and powertrain components, electronics excluded of course.
Excellent on both counts! I wasn't sure if you were only relying on the salesperson's word. My misunderstanding. Looks like you have written confirmation on the flyer as well. Good stuff. Now go order that truck.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:48 AM   #14

I'm mulling ordering a new F350 7.3 right now; I've resigned myself to MSRP......I won't pay a penny more out of principle but there are no "below MSRP" deals around here in the current market. I may be able to save a few thousand dollars by waiting.....or maybe not; MSRP's aren't going to stay static for long with this level of inflation.... ;-)

If you can afford it, I'd order the truck.....you will be waiting quite a while for it anyhow and our time on this planet is finite.

2 cents,
Dave