Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > MH-General Discussions & Problems
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 02:35 PM   #1

Power steps inconsistent going up and down

Mtrhome’s power step goes up or down inconsistently. Was told by camper world would need a new motor and controller for over 600.00 with labor. Any suggestions on a possible fix?
mtnair2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 02:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
First thing is to properly lubricate them. If you have not done this start with WD-40 which will clean the hinge points. Then use Kwik Lube, a product especially made for these stairs. Also, check the exposed wiring and pull the connections to the motor. Spray these with Deoxit to clean the plugs, then reattach. It is possible that you have an intermittent problem with the motor but before you let Camping World into you wallet try these things yourself. Check the files section for information/manual for Kwiki Stairs and follow the troubleshooting guide. None of this is complex. You could easily replace the motor yourself for a lot less than Camping World. YouTube is your friend.
oldnavycdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Look for a bad ground.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:19 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
OP didn't indicate which steps he has, so I'm guessing Kwikee. As said above, check the grounds, there are 2. Then check the connector, disconnect it and reconnect it, checking for corrosion. Then lube. Spray lithium grease is perfectly fine, the steps should be lubed every 30 days of operation. If it's still intermittent, Kwikee has an excellent troubleshooting guide. There's only 2 more parts, the motor and the controller. The troubleshooting guide will steer you towards the culprit.
Old 09-28-2020, 06:55 PM   #5

Clean ground, lubrication, electrical cleaner on the connector, any number of resets...ours was the motor. Old motor worked find except when it didn't. It's the spare now. Tiffin service told me, "90% of the time, it's the motor," for whatever it's worth.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:32 PM   #6

The steps and the wipers are the canary in a coal mine for low voltage. Check with a voltmeter over several days and loads.....
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:32 PM   #7

Mine started acting crazy recently and I replaced motor/gearbox and control module .Kwikee parts are reasonable online. I spent less than $200 for all.
hoakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:30 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
lube is good to do and my switch for door opeing was bad, replaced and no more mind of its own..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:48 AM   #9

Next time they do not operate (up or down) try flicking the sensor mounted inside the door frame (the sensor not the magnet) with your finger. If the steps immediate operate, replace the sensor.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:45 AM   #10

It does sound like a loose electrical connection or a step controller that is going bad. If it was the motor I would expect it to be an issue that is more consistent, unless it is also a loose wiring connection between the controller and step motor. The step controller and motor should be just under the coach behind the steps and it should be fairly easy to unplug each electrical connector, clean the connector and reconnect. If the cleaning and reconnecting of the electrical connectors that attach to the step controller and motor do not resolve the problem, you can get the controller model number and order a new one from Amazon or E-trailer, a very easy replacement. Worst case scenario you end up also replacing the step motor if the above does not solve the issue but even the step motor replacement process is fairly simple.
2007 Newmar Baystar; 3201; SumoSprings Front; Timbren Springs Rear; Safe-T-Plus; 2016 Fiat 500; Roadmaster Falcon 2;Demco SBS DUO Braking System;TST 507; Bilstein shocks; Garmin RV 785; Supersteer Rear Trac Bar, Thule Easyfold XT2,RVWhisper
rffowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I have the Kwikee steps and mine were doing the same thing. Maybe this will give you some ideas.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/ste...em-503464.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rffowler55 View Post
It does sound like a loose electrical connection or a step controller that is going bad. If it was the motor I would expect it to be an issue that is more consistent, unless it is also a loose wiring connection between the controller and step motor. The step controller and motor should be just under the coach behind the steps and it should be fairly easy to unplug each electrical connector, clean the connector and reconnect. If the cleaning and reconnecting of the electrical connectors that attach to the step controller and motor do not resolve the problem, you can get the controller model number and order a new one from Amazon or E-trailer, a very easy replacement. Worst case scenario you end up also replacing the step motor if the above does not solve the issue but even the step motor replacement process is fairly simple.
I'm told the brushes wear on the motors. They get intermittent as a result, depending on where on the commutator the motor happens to stop. I have not taken our old one apart to see whether the brushes can be replaced, since everything is crimped together, so I don't know whether that was the problem, but the connections were all good and the new motor works fine.

This does not, of course, mean that the OP's problem is the motor.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:40 PM   #13

Another thing to try: On my MH the manufacturer had mounted the magnet part of the magnetic switch too high on the screen door. Sometimes it was close enough to react with the switch, sometimes not. I remounted magnet lower on door and now it works consistently. Also, on my old Class C I had to run a dedicated ground wire back to battery.
tcard90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, steps