Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2014, 05:54 PM   #1

Propride impression

Installed my new PP on our Keystone Cougar 32SAB TT and have taken 2 trips so far. 380 miles and 200 miles. The hitch performed as advertised. It is a pleasure to use and hooking up and detaching is a snap. No sway and a feeling of always in control. Backing in is also easy. Chalk me up as a satisfied customer. Just thought I would post in case anyone was thinking about getting one.
Clicker1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I was surprised that mine required a lot more hours to install than the hype indicated.

One problem was the emergency chains that connect the trailer tongue to the receiver. The ProPride head is several inches longer from the bumper back to the ball, so the chain had to be extended several chain lengths. Not ProPride's fault, but I had to tow the trailer to a welding shop to get the hook modified so it could be moved to the extended chain links. It's all done now, and the welding shop charged me only $10 to fix the problem.

Again, not ProPride's fault, but another problem was I had moved the tongue jack back a few inches to clear the lowered tailgate when the older hitch was installed. So the tongue jack was now in the way of the yoke of the ProPride hitch. At first I assumed I would have to remove the tongue jack and figure out some other way to raise the tongue. So I removed the tongue jack, and saw the old holes where it was located by the trailer manufacturer. I installed the yoke, then replaced the tongue back in its original location with no problem. Since the ball of the ProPride is several inches farther from the tailgate than the ball of the old hitch, the tongue jack no longer needed to be moved back to clear the tailgate. So all is well that turns out well.

And not a problem for folks with a full toolbox, but it requires a lot of different sizes and types of wrenches and sockets and screwdrivers to get it all installed and adjusted.

I haven't towed with the ProPride more than a few miles to the welding shop and back, but it felt really good on that short pull.

Observation: That puppy is HEAVY!. I haven't been to the scales since I installed it, but I'll bet my hitch weight has climbed about 100 pounds compared to the Reese Strait-Line dual cam that has towed that trailer several thousand miles.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #3

Smokey you should have asked Sean for an extension set for the chains when you ordered the hitch. But glad it all worked out.
Clicker1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clicker1944 View Post
Smokey you should have asked Sean for an extension set for the chains when you ordered the hitch. But glad it all worked out.
Mine included the extension set of chains. The problem was the hook on the end of the trailer chains. I really like that hook, but it is a heavy dude that I couldn't bend to remove it from the chain link. And the chain was welded to the trailer, so I couldn't remove it by unbolting it. So I took the trailer to my welder/blacksmith buddy, who used a heavy chisel, big hammer, and anvil to force it open enough to remove it from the chain link on the trailer. Then he used a big vice to mash it back around the end link on the extension chain. Again, Sean did his part, but Sunline's design of the safety chains was the problem. Sunline didn't plan on that hook ever needing to be removed from the end of the safety chain.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
cwf

Several thousand miles and quite impressed!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:51 PM   #6

I picked up the HA for a good price and it works like a dream. Forgot I was pulling a trailer until I looked out the rear view and saw it.
RVGuy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote