Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #15

Am on the 4th year with my Provider tires. They perform extremely well. There will be many that parrot blanket statements about china tires without actual knowledge of what they are talking about. Yes there are bad china bomb tires out there. But there a some good tires from there too.

It is also ironic that so many are pushing for the Goodyear endurance tire after the company knowingly put lives at risk with the whole G159 debacle. 95 people were injured or killed because of Goodyear tires. The exec's knew of the problem and danger of the tires and tried to cover it up.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ims/488815002/

I will never use a Goodyear tire even if it were free
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #16

WOW, thanks for all the posts! Just in case someone didn't notice the Provider ST we are talking about is rated at 81mph not 65 mph and at 65mph I will be 16 mph under the speed rating. Also the weight now as I understand it is even more, so I'm going to be around 4,000 lbs. under the load rating, fully loaded using around 75 psi. No one has posted any negative comments on the Provider ST directly and there has been a few positive ones. This is the info I needed to make a decision on whether to keep them or not. Since they were initially made for commercial use and are now being used on some of the larger fivers, I think I will give them a try. I would just like to thank all again for your time.
bcso0416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 04:43 AM   #17

Just a quick post. My tires now have around 5,000 miles on them and are still just like new. My speed is at 65 mph unless passing and that's very little. I keep them clean, use a tire dressing and maintain 75 psi in each tire. Unlike the Castle Rock that was on my other camper these tires are doing very well. On a 1-10 scale, I would have to give the Provider ST at least a 9+.
bcso0416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 06:12 AM   #18

i have heard of the provider tires before but really didn't look at them too much. we currently have goodyear G614 tires that i inflate to 110 psi. it is load range G with a 75 mph speed rating. i'll need new tires soon and have looked at the G614 and the comparable sailun tires. i hear only good thing about these. it looks like the provider is trying to offer tire in the same category. one difference i note is that the G614's are light truck (LT) tires though they are actively marketed for trailer applications. both the sailun and provider offer increased loading as opposed to the goodyear of the same size. i have no experience with the provider, but i would think that anybody trying to compete in this heavy trailer and commercial market would have to offer a quality tire or they would be out of the market real fast. both the sailun and provider and less expensive than the goodyear.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #19

After you have been on the forum for a while, you will conclude that most people that have blowouts are running their tires at the ragged edge of capacity or are overloaded. If you inflate your tires to 80 psi, then your average tire load of 2,250# is only 64% of your tire's rated 3,520# capacity. I have similar numbers on my trailer to yours and I have run the supposed worst China Bomb available (Towmax) without incident for four seasons. I'm considering running a fifth mostly because the tires are relatively lightly loaded and inspection shows no wear or sidewall checking. When I do change, I will most likely go with the Goodyears. Don't have the overhead clearance to go with 85 series LT tires.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #20

I read every thread I could find here about china bombs and other tires.
Calculated the load capacity and and knew that my OEM tires were within the total load capacity of my 5th wheel.

After reviewing all the well intended opinions and advise, I was no closer to making a decision on weather I should I keep the six month old OEM Chinese tires, or remove them and install US made ST tires.

I eventually installed a set Endurance ST225/75R15E tires and sold the like new Castle Rocks to a neighbor who was happy to put them on his construction trailer.

My net cost after selling the OEM tires ended up at $300.
Don't know if that was a smart move, but at least I don't worry about it any more.
amauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Hi, not all China tires are bombs. If you do the research instead of believing blanket statements, you will find some good stuff out there. The ones I have are not anywhere near the typical cheap China bombs that are often used. I put Provider ST235/85R16 Radial Trailer Tire - Load Range G which is a 14 ply tire and have been very pleased. I can not say anything about the specific tire you are mentioning.

Here is more info on my tires

Specs:

Fits: 16" diameter rims
Tire size: ST235/85R16
Section width: 9.25"
Outer diameter (when inflated): 31.73"
Capacity:
Load range: G
Ply rating: 14
Maximum load:
Single tire: 4,400 lbs at 110 psi
Dual tires: 3,860 lbs at 110 psi
Tread depth: 12/32"
Maximum speed: 81 mph (speed rating M)
2-Year limited warranty

A buddy uses these for his company's trailers and cant say enough about these tires.

These are the tires I have on my Alpine 5th wheel. I have had great service out of them. The tires are 2 years old now. They seem to be better than any other tires I have had on any camper so far.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by amauri View Post
I eventually installed a set Endurance ST225/75R15E tires and sold the like new Castle Rocks to a neighbor who was happy to put them on his construction trailer.

My net cost after selling the OEM tires ended up at $300.
Don't know if that was a smart move, but at least I don't worry about it any more.
It seems to me that paying net $300 for a set of tires known to be good quality is a small price to pay. Beats being stranded on the side of the road with a blown out tire that has also done some expensive body damage. I think you made a very wise decision.
IBTripping is offline   Reply With Quote