Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2021, 09:18 AM   #1

Puck Systems and B&W 5th Wheel Hitches

Just bought a Ďnew usedí 2020 Ram 2500 long bed.
Iíve had B&W products for as many years as theyíve been around and love em.
Does anyone know if thereís a way to adapt my older Companion to hook into my Puck instead of having to buy that huge B&W Puck base.
Iím thinking of getting an older round base B&W ball and attaching it to my Companion to fit down in the hole.

Opinions? Anyone done something similar?
Iíd love to hear new ideas.

Thank you all.
Morey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2021, 11:21 AM   #2

Does your current B&W use a rail system in the bed that the hitch connects to? If that is the case you can use Reese rails that go in the puck system.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...e/RP30154.html

https://www.pullrite.com/oe_rail_adapters
Bill Nourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:28 AM   #3

Check a B&W Model 1320 turnover ball. I think that replaces your center section of your puck system so that you can use a companion. I had looked at it in 2017 when I thought of buying a Ram.
Dieselguy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 02:19 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Try calling B&W directly. They've always been helpful to me when purchasing various accessories for the turnover system.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nourse View Post
Does your current B&W use a rail system in the bed that the hitch connects to? If that is the case you can use Reese rails that go in the puck system.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...e/RP30154.html

https://www.pullrite.com/oe_rail_adapters
Wow, that Reese adapter has gotten pricey! Three years ago I paid just over $300 for mine.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 09:06 PM   #6

No rails Bill.
The standard style that sits on the bed.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:11 PM   #7

I did and she said the puck ‘hole’ turns inside and nothing can be used.
I don’t believe she knows.
Does anyone have someone there that’s more knowledgeable that I can ask to speak to?
Old 11-29-2021, 09:17 PM   #8

I looked it up. Interesting.
I have to assume I can remove the puck and install that?
That looks much better than that huge puck base to hold the Companion.
I’ll be under the truck tomorrow.
I’ll also check with my shop foreman to see what he knows.
Thank you
Old 11-30-2021, 10:50 AM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
IIRC, the only part of a companion hitch that will transfer from a puck system to a gooseneck system (B&W 1320) is the head / jaw assembly. The base of the 5er hitch would have to be appropriate for your given attachment (puck style or the 1320 / gooseneck style). If you call, maybe try someone in thier "tech" department.
GPCPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:10 AM   #10

GPCPL
I think you’re correct.
I’ll get it inthe air to see what it’ll take to remove the puck, which I’m gonna do.
Yes, my Companion should work with the 1320.
Since we have 2 trucks (06 Gmc 3500) we can use that rig in either.

Thanks to all for your help.
I hope I can return the favor.
Morey
Old 12-01-2021, 06:36 AM   #11

I was reading thru this thread and I thought I knew what you were trying to do. That is use your new to you truck that has the factory puck system with your existing 5th wheel hitch that used the rail system. You were looking for an adaptor base that fit the puck system.

Now you want to put the truck in the air to remove the puck system? That does not make sense to me.

I had a truck that had the factory 5th wheel prep option (aka factory puck system). The pucks to me are the plastic / rubbery pieces that cover the 5th wheel hitch attachment places. My truck had 5 of these places. 4 spread out that my 5th wheel hitch fit into. Plus a bigger center puck for a gooseneck attachment. It too would come off by hand.

If this is what your truck has those plastic / rubbery pieces just pull out by hand. I had a plastic bag I would use to store those prieces.

If you look under your truck you will see the hardware that is bolted to the frame to support the 5th wheel hitch.

Removing those plastic/rubbery pucks is easy and done from the top - not from underneath the truck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:18 AM   #12

Sorry Tuffr2 for the confusing explanation.
I have an existing B&W Companion 5th Wheel hitch, which mounts onto a Turnover Ball.
I’ve decided to remove the center OEM or puck ball mount. It just bolts into the framework underneath and replace it with a B&W 1320.
That will allow me to use my existing B&W parts that I can use in 2 different trucks.
I’m sure the OEM Puck system works well for some.
When done, I’ll be back to having a standard Turnover Ball in the bed.
I hope I’ve done a better job describing my situation.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:15 AM   #13

So you want to switch out the factory gooseneck part that is under the bed with the B&W Turnover Ball set-up that goes under the bed. You have the B&W Turnover Ball on your other truck and want to make both trucks the same.

I priced having a B&W Turnover Ball set up added to my truck without the 5th wheel prep package. That is a nifty set-up. I did not have it done yet as I still might buy a travel trailer. The Trailer Accessory shop said they would not have to drill thru the frame so they must have a universal mounting system.

Sorry I went down the wrong path with the talk about 'rails' and that Reese base plate. You did correct that...but I missed your correction...sorry. Diesel guy understood.

Thanks for taking the time to explain it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:17 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morey View Post
Sorry Tuffr2 for the confusing explanation.
I have an existing B&W Companion 5th Wheel hitch, which mounts onto a Turnover Ball.
Iíve decided to remove the center OEM or puck ball mount. It just bolts into the framework underneath and replace it with a B&W 1320.
That will allow me to use my existing B&W parts that I can use in 2 different trucks.
Iím sure the OEM Puck system works well for some.
When done, Iíll be back to having a standard Turnover Ball in the bed.
I hope Iíve done a better job describing my situation.
Well I for one have never been a fan of the Companion 5th wheel hitch. I believe B&W builds a great hitch, what I donít like is having the hitch weight being carried by the bed floor.
I personally would opt for the puck base as that puts the weight of the hitch directly on the frame.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, ems, hitch