RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2020, 10:47 AM   #1

Question regarding diesel vs gas

We want to move yup to a F250/2500 in either Ford,Ram or Chevy. But it will mostly sit in the driveway except for weekend driving during the winter short trips and in the summer mostly camping trips once a month. So would diesel or a gasser be better? We are towing about 8000 lbs total. I am worried the diesel would have problems sitting too long.
Pezmogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2020, 11:14 AM   #2

For the way you will use the truck I would recommend a simpler gas truck. The new gas engines will tow 8,000lbs easily. I am talking about the GM 6.6 gas engine and the Ford 7.3 gas engine.

Sitting and short trips are not good for a diesel engine as they want to be worked more. They need to be hot to burn off all the soot that builds up in the exhaust system.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezmogee View Post
We want to move yup to a F250/2500 in either Ford,Ram or Chevy. But it will mostly sit in the driveway except for weekend driving during the winter short trips and in the summer mostly camping trips once a month. So would diesel or a gasser be better? We are towing about 8000 lbs total. I am worried the diesel would have problems sitting too long.
I wouldn’t say which one is better. That will start a fight quickly. I’d say whatever suits you needs is the best.

We are pretty much the same. I moved from a midsize SUV to an F250 this summer. I tow maybe 5 times a year. For the rest of the year, it quietly sit on my driveway, I try to drive it around at least once a month. So, there is no way I can keep diesel fuel and DEF fresh in those tanks. It would just be the matter of time something bad happen. It would be even worst if it happens after the warranty time expire first but I just had few thousands miles on the truck. And my camper is only 2700 lbs dry and 3600 lbs GVWR. So diesel doesn’t make sense to me at all, could possibly be a nightmare for me. I went with the F-250 with the 7.3L gas motor.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #4

Thats what my Ram CTD does now. I may or may not drive it every week. When I do though I make sure to reach operating temps. It's a tow vehicle 1st and DD 2nd.
IMO whats worse is driving only a couple miles and the motor never reaching full temp.
I tow 9500 lbs mostly in higher elevations and in hills or mtns. BTDT with a gasser and just don't like it. If I towed only 8,000 and were in mostly flats and rolling hills then yeah Id go gas.
I know it sounds silly to some, but towing with a diesel is much more relaxing. 5-7 hours of revving up and down does take a toll on me. Maybe not others so YMMV.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky8668 View Post
I wouldnít say which one is better. That will start a fight quickly. Iíd say whatever suits you needs is the best.

We are pretty much the same. I moved from a midsize SUV to an F250 this summer. I tow maybe 5 times a year. For the rest of the year, it quietly sit on my driveway, I try to drive it around at least once a month. So, there is no way I can keep diesel fuel and DEF fresh in those tanks. It would just be the matter of time something bad happen. It would be even worst if it happens after the warranty time expire first but I just had few thousands miles on the truck. And my camper is only 2700 lbs dry and 3600 lbs GVWR. So diesel doesnít make sense to me at all, could possibly be a nightmare for me. I went with the F-250 with the 7.3L gas motor.

I think that is where we are leaning as well. I like the reviews and comments on the F250. How does the interior and comforts on yours and how does it ride? Are they pretty comfortable?
Old 11-22-2020, 12:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
For the way you will use the truck I would recommend a simpler gas truck. The new gas engines will tow 8,000lbs easily. I am talking about the GM 6.6 gas engine and the Ford 7.3 gas engine.

Sitting and short trips are not good for a diesel engine as they want to be worked more. They need to be hot to burn off all the soot that builds up in the exhaust system.

That is what I read in several of the comments in some other posts that mention diesels but not really for my situation.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezmogee View Post
I think that is where we are leaning as well. I like the reviews and comments on the F250. How does the interior and comforts on yours and how does it ride? Are they pretty comfortable?
I canít comment on heavy towing, but at 3500 lbs, I get about 11.5 mpg and 13 mpg unloaded. But I average 75 mph unloaded and 65-70 mph towing.

I test drove all big three 2020 3/4 ton gassers before buying the Ford. Ford and Chevy ride quality is very similar. Ram is the most comfortable, I think thatís because they use coil springs in the back instead of leaf springs. But once there are few hundred lbs in the bed or a trailer hooked up, it rides like an unloaded 1/2 ton.
nicky8668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #8

Cummins

I bought the diesel after researching both. Every one has their favorites and that's what makes the world go round. I for one don't want to buy gas every time I stop and The diesel will pull my 8,000 lb RV any where I want to go. A gasser just wont hold up to that. happy Camping !!!
Fleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 12:59 PM   #9

Sounds like you won't put enough miles on the truck to justify the extra cost of the diesel.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:27 PM   #10

If you have any thoughts of getting a larger travel trailer or a midsize 5th wheel get a diesel truck, at 8000 lbs your fine with a gas truck except if your planning on going into the mountains . The diesel option adds 10K to a GM truck and I would suggest getting a one ton truck not a 3/4 ton diesel . a one ton diesel is good up to about 14~15000lbs max on the 5th wheels( not the 18K+ they claim) Your rear axle is over weight if you go over the 15K on a one ton with a diesel.
xc-mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:36 PM   #11

What about the guy that buys a gas Tradesman vs a gas Longhorn Laramie? How long does he have to drive to recoup that extra upgraded trim cost?

The only time anyone should have to consider the extra cost of the diesel vs gas is if you own a business.
For non-business owners it's about owning what you want, not what you can make the most profit or less loss from.

After all this is on an RV forum and we all know that RV's are one of the biggest money pits out there. Seems sorta ironic that we buy something we like (diesel) to tow a rapidly depreciating toy and get chastised for owning a diesel cause it costs more than the gas truck.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:17 PM   #12

Gas engines have improved to be fair. They are smoother and are a lot more refined. No more buzzy noise. I think this guy in the video is towing 8,000lbs in the Rocky Mountains from 5,000' to just over 10,000'.

https://youtu.be/PVd7p91rBjc
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 02:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
What about the guy that buys a gas Tradesman vs a gas Longhorn Laramie? How long does he have to drive to recoup that extra upgraded trim cost?

The only time anyone should have to consider the extra cost of the diesel vs gas is if you own a business.
For non-business owners it's about owning what you want, not what you can make the most profit or less loss from.

After all this is on an RV forum and we all know that RV's are one of the biggest money pits out there. Seems sorta ironic that we buy something we like (diesel) to tow a rapidly depreciating toy and get chastised for owning a diesel cause it costs more than the gas truck.
Bingo.

All you really need to do is drive both back to back towing something heavy up a hill and the answer is going to be pretty obvious, one way or the other.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:32 PM   #14

If I was to ever upgrade my 1/2 ton to a HD, it would be a diesel. Couldnít see myself going backwards in the power to weight ratio.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas