Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2019, 06:30 AM   #29
laj

on mine i got rid of the firestones, put mich. on and dropped the pressure to 50 on all ; night and day difference.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2019, 09:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
on mine i got rid of the firestones, put mich. on and dropped the pressure to 50 on all ; night and day difference.
What didn't you like about the stones?
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 12:25 PM   #31
laj

i felt they were a sub-standard tire, and i had lots of miles on mich. also the stones seem to follow every crack in the road. i bought that pickup brand new, and first stop was the alignment shop which i do on every new rig i buy. found about half of them were out. this one was perfect from the dealer.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 07:51 PM   #32

Sounds like a bad tire but who knows. You had them balanced but are they round. That could be the problem. Rare but it happens.
Most owners wish their 3/4 or 1 ton would ride as good as their old 1/2 ton.
I carried lots of tools and never experienced what you did. Keep taking it back until the problem is solved.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
I own a 2018 RAM 2500 CTD and I have a question about the rough ride. I've had quite a few 1/2 ton trucks but this is my first 2500. When I first purchased the truck I noticed a shimmy when driving on the highway (I wasn't towing at the time) so I took the truck back the dealer to have the tires re-balanced. That seemed to help some, but the truck still seems like something is off. If I'm on a smooth black top road, it rides fine until I hit a bump. Then it feels like the truck feels like the bed of truck skips or bounces more than it should. This happens when the bed empty or with few hundred lbs of crap in it. Almost like the tires are momentarily out of balance. I don't know if its because the tires are still slightly out of balance or if this is just normal for a 2500. I read about Centramatic Wheel Balancers and I was wondering if they might help. Tire Balancers, Tire Balancing, Wheel Balancer and Wheel Balancing from Centramatic

A couple weeks ago I loaded up the truck with tools (table saw, chop/miter saw, compressor, nail guns, wood, etc.) and headed up to my sons place (1 hour away) to do some repairs. When I got there my Rolair compressor, one of my nail guns and my Dewalt miter saw didn't work properly or at all. Luckily I was able to get everything working again by just taking them apart and readjusting everything. The vibrations caused the tools tools to go out of wack. That never happened with my other trucks and I've taken them as far as northern Maine (8-9 hrs drive) so I suspect that I have some sort of a vibration issue and I'm not sure why. The truck has Firestone Transforce AT tires on it that are inflated to 65 lbs in the front and 80 lbs in the rear. I guess they could be the issue, I just don't know.

Does anyone have any experience with Centramatic Balancers or know if the skipping I'm feeling is normal?
Did you ever get some resolution to your tire/ride issue?
JRS950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #34

I have a 2018 cummins Ram Megacab, air down to about 65 all the way around unloaded to smooth the ride, the stock tires are the worst tires I have ever owned, 19k on them and looking at replacing them in the next couple thousand miles as they will be worn out.

2006 Keystone Raptor 3712
waterjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:21 AM   #35

I just lowered the air in the rear tires to 70 lbs when unloaded and the ride greatly improved. Thanks for your help!
BeerBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:45 AM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
I just lowered the air in the rear tires to 70 lbs when unloaded and the ride greatly improved. Thanks for your help!
On our dually, when not towing, according to the load weight chart, I could drop my rear tires down to 32 psi. I usually run then at 35 psi. Makes for all the difference in the world.
Again CAT scales and the load range chart for your size of tire are your friends.

Glad to hear you got some relief.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:28 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRS950 View Post
On our dually, when not towing, according to the load weight chart, I could drop my rear tires down to 32 psi. I usually run then at 35 psi. Makes for all the difference in the world.
Again CAT scales and the load range chart for your size of tire are your friends.

Glad to hear you got some relief.
Great to read a comment from someone who has common sense. There is no danger in following the weight, pressure tables as you do. Unfortunately there are too many people who just go to the max rating on the door post. Of course it does take a lot of difficult work to lower and then increase the pressure when actually towing. You have to remember two different pressures all the other associated issues.
Congratulations on being a free thinker. Not many left.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Great to read a comment from someone who has common sense. There is no danger in following the weight, pressure tables as you do. Unfortunately there are too many people who just go to the max rating on the door post. Of course it does take a lot of difficult work to lower and then increase the pressure when actually towing. You have to remember two different pressures all the other associated issues.
Congratulations on being a free thinker. Not many left.
Thank you for you understanding of what can be done with these wonderful vehicles we have.