Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #1

Ram 3500 calculating towing capacity

So I'm trying to figure out my maximum safe towing weight for my Ram 3500. I downloaded the RV tow calculator but it seems Ram does not publish the 5th wheel twr or i'm just missing it. Here is the info I do have, can someone help me out with what I'm missing and tell me if this looks correct

2019 Ram 3500 crew cab 6.5 bed with hemi and 3.73 axel
GVWR 11000 lbs (from door jam sticker)
GCWR 21500 lbs (from Ram towing capacity PDF)
Curb weight 7326 lbs (from a google search, i plan to weigh to get GVW)
Convential TWR 14300 (from ram towing capacity PDF)
Max Payload 4089 lbs (from door jam sticker)

So do my above numbers look correct/reasonable for entry into the calculator, i just want to make sure I haven't mistaken a number for something else. Also does anyone know what the 5th wheel TWR would be?

Sorry for the long post and making yet another "towing capacity" post, but I just want to make sure we are towing safely. Thanks for your help.
Hubinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2019, 07:08 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

I don't believe that Dodge gives separate 5er weight ratings the way Ford does.
Remember that all the payload isn't available at the rear wheels and that max trailer weight is calculated with only a 150lb. allowance in the truck for the driver; no other cargo/passengers in the truck .
Is this a SRW P/U ?
You'll need loaded for travel, passengers and gear and full fuel , axle weights to compare to the FAWR & RAWR to proceed.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #3

Yes this is a SRW. I am also figuring 565lbs of people weight and 225 pounds of stuff in the truck. So I was just round it up to 900 lbs for weight in the truck. My front axle GAWR is 5500lbs and the rear is 7000 lbs
Old 07-19-2019, 07:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubinator View Post
Yes this is a SRW. I am also figuring 565lbs of people weight and 225 pounds of stuff in the truck. So I was just round it up to 900 lbs for weight in the truck. My front axle GAWR is 5500lbs and the rear is 7000 lbs
OK so when you get the scale axle weights to determine the available payload at the rear axle you'll have a good idea of the pin and hitch weight that you can apply to the rear axle .
Figure 200 lbs for a standard 5er hitch and 250 for a slider , remainder for pin of the trailer , approx 20% of 5er weight will be on the pin.

NOTE!!!! Once you run all the numbers you'll probably find the RAWR will be exceeded long before you get to a trailer weight of 14,300 lbs. TT or 5er.
My last Dodge P/U . 2000 3/4 ton 8.0L V-10 4:10 gears had a similar trailer weight rating 14,400 lbs; and a 9990 lb GVWR 5er didn't leave much between the actual weight and the RAWR. I still have the #s some where. But you'll need your own to be sure.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:11 PM   #5

Thanks for the information. You've been really helpful, this is defiantly a complicated and confusing subject to get correct but I want to be safe.

So I put the numbers I do have into the RV Tow Check app I downloaded. And it came back with a Max Conventional Towing of 13274. We've been looking at travel trailers with a GVWR of 12000 lbs or less. So It appears I should be fine there.

5th wheels we've been looking at similar weights with a pin weight of 2000 lbs. I'm not sure if these weights are good or not.

I know I have to get the trucked weighed but i'm not sure when I will be able to get there as we don't have a scale nearby. (Living out in the boondocks) and the wife is busy looking online at coaches and I want to at least give some guidance as to what to look at.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:43 AM   #6

Yikes, you have been looking at travel trailers with a GVWR of 12,000lbs? Those are huge and long. What do you want to do with it? Park it to live in or tow it all around the country?

If you want to tow it a lot I have to recommend a mid sized 5th wheel vs a huge travel trailer. It would tow so much better.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks for the information. You've been really helpful, this is defiantly a complicated and confusing subject to get correct but I want to be safe.

So I put the numbers I do have into the RV Tow Check app I downloaded. And it came back with a Max Conventional Towing of 13274. We've been looking at travel trailers with a GVWR of 12000 lbs or less. So It appears I should be fine there.

5th wheels we've been looking at similar weights with a pin weight of 2000 lbs. I'm not sure if these weights are good or not.

I know I have to get the trucked weighed but i'm not sure when I will be able to get there as we don't have a scale nearby. (Living out in the boondocks) and the wife is busy looking online at coaches and I want to at least give some guidance as to what to look at.
With a SRW which I assume yours is I'd also not want to exceed much over 12 000-13 000 lbs. Tires and RAWR will be the limiting factors.

As mentioned, nothing better than weighing the truck and intended setup you wish to buy. FWIW I would NOT want anything to do with a travel trailer and would highly recommend a 5th wheel for your truck. Hitching is a lot easier, faster, less overall length. Many 5ers will have way less drag than a hitch mount TT will on the same pickup. Our 26' Dutchmen,5500-6000 lbs took a bit more fuel to drag than our 32' , 13 000 lb 5th wheel does.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:55 AM   #8

Go on Ram's website and enter your VIN #. It'll give you the info for your truck as built by Ram.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:00 AM   #9

Quote:

Our TT weighs in around 10K loaded, we pulled it all over the place with a 16 Ram 2500 CTD without issue, it pulled great. I saw you mentioned Hemi, so it won't have torque the Cummins gave us, but you still won't have an issue in your 3500.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 07:08 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Yikes, you have been looking at travel trailers with a GVWR of 12,000lbs? Those are huge and long. What do you want to do with it? Park it to live in or tow it all around the country?

If you want to tow it a lot I have to recommend a mid sized 5th wheel vs a huge travel trailer. It would tow so much better.
Well the reason for the longer trailer is we are looking at ones with a bunkhouse as we have 3 kids. If we went with a travel trailer I also plan to get the Hensley hitch or propride.

As far as 5th wheel goes I forgot to mention that I also have ramboxes on my truck so I either would have to get a sidewinder hitch or Anderson ultimate. I'm also still researching how those hitch setups affect towing.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
Go on Ram's website and enter your VIN #. It'll give you the info for your truck as built by Ram.

https://www.ramtrucks.com/towing-guide.html

This is close to your vehicle, but putting my VIN in the payload is not the same as the yellow sticker.
Sticker 5,411#
WEB site 5,560
That is a difference of 249#.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropthejacks View Post
Our TT weighs in around 10K loaded, we pulled it all over the place with a 16 Ram 2500 CTD without issue, it pulled great. I saw you mentioned Hemi, so it won't have torque the Cummins gave us, but you still won't have an issue in your 3500.
How long is your TT? Any issues getting into the campsites? Where do you normally camp? State parks or RV parks?
Old 07-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #13

I just got a 2019 DRW GMC, but I towed my 36' 10k GVWR bunkhouse TT with a 2013 then a 2016 2500 Duramax. I mostly pulled straight from a weigh-safe hitch and no weight distribution hitch or anti-sway. Loaded with 13-14 hundred pounds on the tongue it towed fine and I was under the carry-weight rating of both the truck and the hitch. It did get a little bouncy on the freeway at anything over 70, but at 65 or less where I mostly tow, I had zero complaints. It was a slightly better pull with a weight distribution hitch especially at full freeway speed. I am sure a Hensley would be money based on reviews, but certainly not a requirement to tow a TT with a stout truck.

When I bought the TT I owned a 2010 Chevy 2500 with a 6.0l gasser. I pulled it home up a pretty big hill, unhooked it, and then found a deal on and traded it in on a Duramax. The gasser would pull it, but I was not in the mood to have it scream at me over passes to where we usually camp.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #14

Yep, if I still had 3 little kids those big bunk room trailers would be what I would want. Even now that bunk room could make a nice office. In a 5th wheel did you see the 'mid bunk' models with the loft? Little kids would love that loft area for a few years before they would prefer the bunk room.

jjack - In 2012 I bought a new dually F-450 King Ranch. I traded it for a 2017 F-250 when I sold the 5th wheel and in anticipation of buying a travel trailer. I have the urge to get back into a newer dually truck. I bet that 2019 dually GMC truck is nice. A dually truck really makes a solid towing platform but it sure took you a long time to get to the dually...
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing