Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by gundog View Post
Well, I was just giving a reply to a question I was asked. but as you feel the need to get personal on the issue....Yep, I have a degree but not in the area you would like me to have it in like I am sure you both do, just 40+ years of towing and hauling experience. I apologize for giving input that was contrary to your views and will try to refrain in the future. That being said, I would like your thoughts on this; When you have a real heavy load in your bed, the front of your truck is lifted up two to three inches and have a lite steering feel, what is happening and why the light steering. Thank you
I understand that you are dropping the rear. It depends on where the weight is placed.
500 lbs at the rear most point of the bed will take weight off the front axle.
500lbs over the axle "shouldn't" take weight off the front axle, and maybe not even add weight.
500lbs to the front most point will add the most weight to the front.
But air bags are right above the axle. They push the frame up, and push the rear axle down. They don't transfer weight, but they just take weight off the springs, not off axles. They don't add any weight to the rear axle, they just place it differently. Yes, lifting the rear may shift the center of gravity, therefore shifting weight from axle to axle, but I don't see how it will transfer much.
Like I said, I'd love to see weigh tickets of before/after bags because I wanna know for sure.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
I understand that you are dropping the rear. It depends on where the weight is placed.
500 lbs at the rear most point of the bed will take weight off the front axle.
500lbs over the axle "shouldn't" take weight off the front axle, and maybe not even add weight.
500lbs to the front most point will add the most weight to the front.
But air bags are right above the axle. They push the frame up, and push the rear axle down. They don't transfer weight, but they just take weight off the springs, not off axles. They don't add any weight to the rear axle, they just place it differently. Yes, lifting the rear may shift the center of gravity, therefore shifting weight from axle to axle, but I don't see how it will transfer much.
Like I said, I'd love to see weigh tickets of before/after bags because I wanna know for sure.
When I get back from our travels I'll see if I can find a weigh station that will let me do a double weigh in and post what I find.
gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Nothing personal, but you thinking is way off . You have not added, changed or transfered any weight with addition of the air bags. All they do is prop up the rear end.

A 5th wheel has the pin and thus the weight over or slightly forward of the rear axle. Very little weight is added to the front wheels. Now on a bumper pull without a weight distributing hitch, dropping several hundred pounds on the bumper, you will unload the front tires. The WD hitch will transfer part of the weight to the front tires and some to the trailer axles.

If you raise the rear of the truck with air bags, all you do is prop up the back znd transfer no weight.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Nothing personal, but you thinking is way off . You have not added, changed or transfered any weight with addition of the air bags. All they do is prop up the rear end.

A 5th wheel has the pin and thus the weight over or slightly forward of the rear axle. Very little weight is added to the front wheels. Now on a bumper pull without a weight distributing hitch, dropping several hundred pounds on the bumper, you will unload the front tires. The WD hitch will transfer part of the weight to the front tires and some to the trailer axles.

If you raise the rear of the truck with air bags, all you do is prop up the back znd transfer no weight.

Ken
I could be way off, but don't think so. When you place 2500lbs into the bed of your truck and it raises your front end up 3+ inches and your steering is light. As you stated, you are unloading the front tires Where is the unloaded front tires weight going?
gundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gundog View Post
I could be way off, but don't think so. When you place 2500lbs into the bed of your truck and it raises your front end up 3+ inches and your steering is light. As you stated, you are unloading the front tires Where is the unloaded front tires weight going?
But proping up the rear end does not transfer ay weight to the front. All the weight is still in the same place.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote