Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2021, 08:01 PM   #29

What is the best way to keep the lifters in the 6.4 Hemi from biting the dust? Is it keeping the oil clean? Any other suggestions like easy driving or warming up before driving?

I am seeing lifter failures in the 6.4 Hemi at less than 150,000 miles.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2021, 08:57 PM   #30

Do you work on them ?
NevadaNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 09:21 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
What is the best way to keep the lifters in the 6.4 Hemi from biting the dust? Is it keeping the oil clean? Any other suggestions like easy driving or warming up before driving?

This is nothing new. Chrysler/Fiat/Stellantis has had lifter and rocker arm failures for over 15 years. Number one thing is to use oil that meets specs,best to use the best oil possible. Run Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra and stick to 10000km/6000mile intervals with a good filter.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:43 PM   #32

Knew this was coming, but don’t think anybody has any concrete evidence as to why some fail early, and many others go 200,000 plus miles with no issues.

The bottom half of both the 5.7, and 6.4 are very strong motors. MDS may be the issue for lifters wiping out the cam lobes, but nobody knows for sure. But it’s not as common as many on here think it is, and I would still consider the 5.7, and 6.4 a reliable motor.

Changing oil based on usage, and not miles is a good start. Many owners don’t realize short trips, or high idle time is considered extreme conditions. This goes for all engines across all manufacturers.

We are just under 60k miles, with 32k towing in the mountains of the NW. Run this truck hard, and that’s not the issue. It’s hardly ever in ECO mode, as if it’s not towing, it’s usually running 80 plus mph. Believe that’s a good thing for it’s longevity.

No engine is flawless, and can refer to ALL manufacturers with a much worse track record than the 5.7, or 6.4 Hemi. Even Toyota has had a good amount of engine failure due to sludge buildup, or excessive oil consumption.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:13 PM   #33

Ram 6.4 with 8spd

Quote:

What’s the best way to stop the valve springs from failure in the Ford 6.2 Boss. Why are many of the 6.2 starting to consume excessive oil at 100k miles while others are going several hundred thousand without burning oil?

All engines have flaws, especially if not properly cared for.
Old 11-10-2021, 05:18 AM   #34

Only thing is the lifter and cam issues are so prevalent on the Chrysler/Fiat/Stellantis that many people have had their cars parked at the dealer for months, yes, months. This is pre-pandemic mind you, that started a few years ago. Lifters are B.O. in many cases. Many police fleets are switching brands due to this.

I am certain MDS is a big part of the problem, but the oiling circuit is not that great either.

To be fair, GM has similar issues with their lifters on the 5.3. Those engines also have cylinder shutoff. This is why I love my simple reliable 6.0, none of that crap on it, and it wouldn't be logical to have either with the weight it hauls around.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:11 AM   #35

The 2018 6.4 that i drive at work has been flawless now for 105k mi. I am not in the least bit worried about my new 6.4 than i was about injectors, glow plugs, pumps, etc on the last few trucks i owned. In fact the glow plug issue on GM trucks must have been so prevelant i received a notice that the warranty was extended. Up until the letter i never knew there was a problem with them, certainly wasn't on mine.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:20 AM   #36

The lifter problem shows up around 130,000 - 150,000 miles. Not an issue unless you put a lot of miles on your truck. I have had a few vehicles from new to 160,000 miles but that is about it.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:07 AM   #37

Quote:
The lifter problem shows up around 130,000 - 150,000 miles. Not an issue unless you put a lot of miles on your truck. I have had a few vehicles from new to 160,000 miles but that is about it.

Considering how many Hemis are produced every year, across several different makes, and models, compared to your 6.2, it’s quite possible the oil consumption after 100k miles on your truck could be more prevalent.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:09 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I'm just curious, but why exactly don't you like GM IFS? Have you had or heard of issues? I ask because you mention it was a better ride, and I have not see any issues on mine or any other.
If the truck will spend most of its life on the road then the IFS is fine. Off-highway, not so much. I worked at Nevada mines all my life, and 99% of the vehicles on any mine will be a Ford. Mines I worked at tried the GM rigs but quickly gave them up because they couldn't keep front ends under them. These trucks have to run in mud all year long; the mud would build up in the A-frame assemblies and tear out the CV boots. Other problems were the routing of various cables underneath the truck - the GMs seemed to have everything hanging off the bottom of the frame where they got ripped off. And on the diesels, the location of the DEF tank, hanging down just behind the passenger side front wheel, caused many a problem.

Just another observation - lots of big farms and ranches around here. My non-scientific observation would be that 75% of the ranch trucks are Dodge/Ram, and 24% Ford. Almost no GM trucks to be found. Again, I think that's due to the trucks spending most of their time off pavement.
deserteagle5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:18 AM   #39

My experiance is the same as deserteagle5. I remember Barrick dumping GM trucks after a year.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:51 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserteagle5 View Post
If the truck will spend most of its life on the road then the IFS is fine. Off-highway, not so much. I worked at Nevada mines all my life, and 99% of the vehicles on any mine will be a Ford. Mines I worked at tried the GM rigs but quickly gave them up because they couldn't keep front ends under them. These trucks have to run in mud all year long; the mud would build up in the A-frame assemblies and tear out the CV boots. Other problems were the routing of various cables underneath the truck - the GMs seemed to have everything hanging off the bottom of the frame where they got ripped off. And on the diesels, the location of the DEF tank, hanging down just behind the passenger side front wheel, caused many a problem.

Just another observation - lots of big farms and ranches around here. My non-scientific observation would be that 75% of the ranch trucks are Dodge/Ram, and 24% Ford. Almost no GM trucks to be found. Again, I think that's due to the trucks spending most of their time off pavement.
I've only run in mud a few times, and my customers are generally consumers, not miners. We DO however run in snow, slush and ice several months a year, and I haven,t seen that tear a boot yet on these. In fact, 90% of my customer base are running CV joints in cars, trucks and AWD SUVs. That snow can turn to hard packed ice quite often. Maybe your mud is harder than ice?

I can only comment on my truck roght now, but it is full of skid plates that'll resist most anything. Maybe the E-brake cables hang a wee bit, I never had an issue, even off roading. I'd have to compare to the other trucks.

I think you'll see RAM and Ford more due to deep fleet discounting, something GM is not great on. That's what I can consistently observe up here.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:23 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post

All engines have flaws, especially if not properly cared for.
Yep; some more than others but there is usually at least one or two "weak links".

Even well regarded engines often have something.....7.3 PSD's had cavity corrosion and cackle issues; the vaunted Cummins had the #53 block in the mid 1990's; the GM 5.3/6.0 gas engine had piston slap problems in late '90's; the 6.0 PSD had several issues, etc. etc.

I've had three 5.7 Hemi's and the only issue I've had, engine wise, has been all three have had broken exhaust manifold studs at some point.

Dave
Old 11-10-2021, 12:24 PM   #42

Ram 6.4 with 8spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Yep; some more than others but there is usually at least one or two "weak links".

Even well regarded engines often have something.....7.3 PSD's had cavity corrosion and cackle issues; the vaunted Cummins had the #53 block in the mid 1990's; the GM 5.3/6.0 gas engine had piston slap problems in late '90's; the 6.0 PSD had several issues, etc. etc.

I've had three 5.7 Hemi's and the only issue I've had, engine wise, has been all three have had broken exhaust manifold studs at some point.

Dave

Agree, manifold studs with it’s ticking noise, and bad Fuel injectors causing misfire, that most confuse with the lifter issue. But like most forums confusion runs rapid.