Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2023, 02:08 PM   #1

Ram appears to have modified maximum towing capacity

Copied from another RVing forum,

The online calcualator is retroactive to previous years too; https://tfltruck.com/2023/02/mystery...rucks-but-why/
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2023, 02:24 PM   #2

Yea, I saw that. I wonder if Ford and GM will follow or I wonder why Ram did that. They improved the Ram frame in 2019 I think with a few more cross members.

IMHO - the tow ratings, even with J2807, I think are inflated.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 02:27 PM   #3

My 22 1500 is still the same.
Wire4money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:01 PM   #4

This made me curious if this and the story about the 1T Ram w/TC and frame broken are connected.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 06:39 PM   #5

My guess is that it is a computer glitch and that Ram hasn’t changed their ratings.
4x4ord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 08:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
This made me curious if this and the story about the 1T Ram w/TC and frame broken are connected.
I doubt it; the viral pic/story certainly doesn't help Ram's image but the truck in question was severely overloaded and more importantly, apparently the front trailer mounts were welded to the frame creating a weakness......I think it's overblown to say the very least and I hauled heavy truck campers in my Rams for many years including my Bigfoot 30C10.11 which I hauled in my 2003 3500 DRW for 17 years......offroad alot and did a trip down the Baja too all with zero damage.

Dave
Old 02-07-2023, 09:53 AM   #7

Being quite active in the Tundra truck arena, I’ve constantly heard runners that domestics frequently inflated their numbers. Granted, I have no factual data for this and also admit that the Tundra is not an Ideal alternative for towing anything over a moderate load. However, I have been skeptical of some numbers for real world use. Hopefully the quality of their trucks today are better than the last one I owned which nearly killed my family when a front wheel literally broke off.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 11:42 AM   #8

Several things in the article confused me, but probably just me skimming it too quickly.

My real question from the article is: It suggests that at least Ram does not have a truck specific label, on each truck, that gives you the specs for that particular truck as it was configured when it was driven out of the factory.

I know my Silverado has a specific label that has numbers on it for how it is configured, numbers that you will not find typically in any generic GM literature.

I thought all manufacturers put a label on the truck that gives specs for exactly how it was built.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
I doubt it; the viral pic/story certainly doesn't help Ram's image but the truck in question was severely overloaded and more importantly, apparently the front trailer mounts were welded to the frame creating a weakness......I think it's overblown to say the very least and I hauled heavy truck campers in my Rams for many years including my Bigfoot 30C10.11 which I hauled in my 2003 3500 DRW for 17 years......offroad alot and did a trip down the Baja too all with zero damage.

Dave
Pic of broken Ram went viral but few actually read what/why
Installer contributed to failure, that and fact RAM was overloaded

Happens to FORDs also
Owner overload his Ford...frame failure same as RAM
Owner got another truck and did it again

1st truck/set up

2nd truck/set up

Overloaded.....something is gonna give
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 02:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Happens to FORDs also

1st truck/set up

2nd truck/set up

Well, at least it proved it wasn't a fluke.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:15 PM   #11

someone told me that the definition of insanity was repeating the same scenario that went wrong and expecting a different outcome. (er something like that)

I wonder if the insurance company paid on the first but not the second...

Retired Robotics Technician USAF DAV > May the Mass X Acceleration be with you!!<
Parafango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 04:09 PM   #12

The pictures of the Ford is before the frame was improved. That is the old Ford 'C' channel frame. Now they have a high strength boxed frame...for what that is worth.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 08:37 AM   #13

I really did not see any modification notes on the Ram Body Builders site. This site provides all of the technical information you need for a towing. And for any upfitter who is modifying a truck for any other task such as an ambulance/tow truck.

See this site for further information. https://www.ramtrucks.com/ram-commer...ers-guide.html

This covers all years and makes of truck back to 2013. Before that time period there was another chart, but it is no longer possible to access.

This is the only site I use for my towing comparison as this is put together by Ram and not some second/third party group.
Old 02-08-2023, 08:53 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post

Happens to FORDs also

1st truck/set up

2nd truck/set up

Yep; absolutely. Second truck is an F-450 too.

Dave

Tags
tow, towing