Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2023, 09:22 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayRunner View Post
Being quite active in the Tundra truck arena, I’ve constantly heard runners that domestics frequently inflated their numbers. Granted, I have no factual data for this and also admit that the Tundra is not an Ideal alternative for towing anything over a moderate load. However, I have been skeptical of some numbers for real world use.
I'm sure the Tundra guys would like to believe that their trucks are under-rated compared to the other half tons but I don't believe it for a minute. What I will support is the idea that "max tow" ratings are largely fictitious numbers based on unicorn trucks that nobody buys or wants towing trailers that nobody has.

Dave
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2023, 09:45 AM   #16

Old Biscuit - that is an old Ford without the 2017 improved boxed frame. The F-450 had the old 'C' channel frame.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 10:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
I'm sure the Tundra guys would like to believe that their trucks are under-rated compared to the other half tons but I don't believe it for a minute. What I will support is the idea that "max tow" ratings are largely fictitious numbers based on unicorn trucks that nobody buys or wants towing trailers that nobody has.

Dave
Agreed. Until you really dive deep into the numbers, it all looks great.

I think what surprises me the most is how big the difference is between the advertised MAX TOWING and the reality of the capabilities of the truck sitting on the dealer lot.

Couple that with the issues of towing a TT is a different animal than towing a flat bed utility trailer with the same weight, and the numbers can be misleading.

I towed a Saturn Vue & a Jeep Wrangler on a U-Haul dolly once behind my GMC Canyon. The heavier and less aerodynamic Wrangler actually towed better, I think that was a function of the suspension on the Saturn was shot while the Wrangler was in better shape. At the same time, I found the dolly towing of vehicles to actually seem easier than towing a popup trailer that came in at least 1,000 pounds lighter. (~4500 pounds dolly/Wrangler combo to ~3000 pound popup.) The popup came in wider than either vehicle and presented a flatter front surface than the vehicles.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:35 AM   #18

I too agree - just look at the specs on the Jayco Eagle 330 series trailers. They are almost 40' long and weight 9,800lbs empty. Some 150/1500 series trucks are rated to tow that much but I would want a dually to tow those big trailers.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:41 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post

Dave
I’ll agree with that. The Tundra engineers have stated that they post their numbers on the conservative side where as I feel the domestics list theirs, as you said, on unicorn configurations. Also, the Tundra engineers won’t say how much conservative. I do know the rear leafs on my ‘17 Tundra were weak and I replaced them with custom Alcan 3k lb springs. I don’t tow heavy but am setup as an Overlander and can be quite loaded at times.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:20 PM   #20

Good for Toyota for being honest.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:41 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I too agree - just look at the specs on the Jayco Eagle 330 series trailers. They are almost 40' long and weight 9,800lbs empty. Some 150/1500 series trucks are rated to tow that much but I would want a dually to tow those big trailers.

LOL, back in the day I had a 2010 F150 5.4, 3.73 Max Tow. Ford gave it a 11,200 or thereabouts tow rating. It struggled with a 7200 lb TT when in the mtns.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:53 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
LOL, back in the day I had a 2010 F150 5.4, 3.73 Max Tow. Ford gave it a 11,200 or thereabouts tow rating. It struggled with a 7200 lb TT when in the mtns.
Bottom line, a 1/2 ton truck is only capable of so much. Regardless of the brand, capacity numbers, etc, the 1/2 ton in general has it limits. So all these fairy tale numbers don’t mean squat out on the road.
BayRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 01:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by carybosse View Post
Several things in the article confused me, but probably just me skimming it too quickly.

My real question from the article is: It suggests that at least Ram does not have a truck specific label, on each truck, that gives you the specs for that particular truck as it was configured when it was driven out of the factory.

I know my Silverado has a specific label that has numbers on it for how it is configured, numbers that you will not find typically in any generic GM literature.

I thought all manufacturers put a label on the truck that gives specs for exactly how it was built.
Ram only puts the payload on their trucks. GM is the best for that information so far.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:46 PM   #24

Well if you look at the picture posted right now that is a Ford .. So l guess even Fords can break their frames
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 05:51 PM   #25

Any trailer 40 ft long and only 10 k l wouldn’t want . Has to be some cheap construction . You know that an entry level trailer is not going be be made with sophisticated high tech materials .
Old 02-09-2023, 06:27 PM   #26

Here are the specs on the Jayco Eagle 330 triple slide travel trailer. I was wrong in my statement of dry weight of 9,800lbs. The dry weight is 10,600lbds.

The Jayco Eagle is not an entry level trailer.

I would move this trailer with a 150/1500 series truck from one camp site to the next camp site in the same camp ground.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230209-201916.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	386126
Old 02-09-2023, 09:57 PM   #27

It is in my opinion .
Old 02-10-2023, 08:52 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I would move this trailer with a 150/1500 series truck from one camp site to the next camp site in the same camp ground.
Sure.....and I use my compact utility tractor to move my trailer around the yard, but I try to stay off the highways with the John Deere!

Dave

Tags
tow, towing