Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2023, 08:46 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ram Cummins Exhaust Filter Full Message

Wonder if anyone else here has ever seen this message on their 2019-2023 Ram diesels?

I have owed Dodge / Ram Cummins trucks for over 20 years and have only had problems with 2 of them, both emissions related. my '14 had the DEF pump go bad, and now my '19 has this DPF Full issue. I deleted the '14 and never liked the truck after that. It got loud, and fuel mileage DID NOT improve. I could care less about HP, I am a conservative driver.

I think the problem is I don't drive it hard enough, or long enough for the active regens to happen like they should. I have gotten the regen in progress... keep driving message when I am 1 mile from my destination and I have to shut it off.

I have ordered a product I researched called and Edge EZX (tuner) for emissions intact '19-'23 Ram Cummins trucks that does a lot of very cool things, research it of your curious, but the single feature I am after is the ability to force a manual regen. I have no idea why Ram keeps this option from a consumer, but it is available on the heavy trucks I drive for a living.

If anyone has experienced this issue, or has tried the Edge EZX, I would sure like to hear about your experiences.

The reason for the diesel choice at this stage of my life, (part time RV'er) is because I am 15 months from retirement and I have no intention of staying in the frozen tundra I live in all winter long starting after that. I drive for a living and I don't even like white bed sheets anymore!

I am going to install it on Saturday and I will sure report my results back here.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2023, 03:37 PM   #2

I have read for a modern diesel truck 'I should drive it like I stole it'. Well, that might be good for the emission system it is hard on tires, brakes, transmission, etc. Lucky for me I towed for 18 hours twice a year.

Anyway I came across this.

I would have guessed 45 minutes to 60 minutes in my Ford. But here it says 1.5 hours to do the regen. Seems a service department can trigger a regen if they know what they are doing.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230308-173027.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	387768
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 07:36 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
I took a picture of the message on my way to work... I assume that if I did see the dealer they would trigger the parked regen and charge me a couple hundred bucks to do so.

Can't wait to give the Edge unit a try this weekend. I will report back. Might even make a video of the process and post it on YouTube. Not a lot out there about it yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dpf.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	387797  
Old 03-08-2023, 07:57 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I have read for a modern diesel truck 'I should drive it like I stole it'. Well, that might be good for the emission system it is hard on tires, brakes, transmission, etc. Lucky for me I towed for 18 hours twice a year.

Anyway I came across this.

I would have guessed 45 minutes to 60 minutes in my Ford. But here it says 1.5 hours to do the regen. Seems a service department can trigger a regen if they know what they are doing.Attachment 387768
It doesn't really take a drive it like you stole it to initiate a regen. It just takes freeway steady state driving for about an hour every month or so. They are saying up to 1.5 hours to cover folks who start out cold entering the freeway. Regen needs full operating temperature and steady highway speed to run.

All the dealer does is use their scan tool to command a forced regen. The tech gets a paid break while it runs. Owners can do it themselves with a scan tool that is capable. The exhaust gets really hot during regen, stay clear of the tailpipe. Regen is automated. Looks like the device OP is getting will do the forced regen, so should be good.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 04:57 AM   #5

The OP taking short trips and not completing the regen is not a good practice. If the OP triggers a regen they need to be ready to keep the truck running until the regen is done. I don't know if the truck idling will do the trick. Again I was always towing a long distance when I saw my truck in regen mode. I would recommend trigger the regen then drive the truck until done.

I always wonder what the 12" screen would look like with a fault message now I know. That message is impossible to miss.

With Fords 7.3 Godzilla and 6.8 Mini Godzilla engines and the new GM 6.6 gas engine I need to figure out the max trailer. Would a 16,000lb 5th wheel fit with these gas powered trucks or would one still need a diesel?
Old 03-09-2023, 08:00 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The OP taking short trips and not completing the regen is not a good practice.
I don’t disagree, but most sources say it is not an issue. Regen will just pick up where it left off if not completed. Problem is if you don’t warm it enough next time you lose ground. I have had regens complete and my filter guage says 0% as it did a couple of weeks ago, then out of the blue I get the above message.

I the past, even with my “no emissions” Dodge trucks, I have had a different “daily driver” and winter vehicle. Only used the truck to tow, but I have done well enough that when I bought this truck I decided if I’m going to own a 60K+ truck, I’m going to drive it!

If I didn’t like the Cummins for towing, I really should have the same truck with a gas engine.

Hopefully this Edge tuner makes it possible to drive this thing the way I do and still enjoy the benefits of the diesel.

I appreciate all of the insight.
Mark 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 08:56 AM   #7

I have a Mercedes SUV with a 4 cylinder diesel. The DPF clogged on it prompting me to do some research. Europe has a high percentage of diesel vehicles and has been fighting the problem for a while. One solution they came up with is to use a fuel additive with cerium oxide as a component which lowers the burn-off point of the soot some 400 degrees. Many of their products are not available stateside.

I use a product called Liquid Moly Diesel Particulate Filter Protector which I buy off Amazon. It isn't cheap, so I use a can every third tank of fuel. No DPF problems since. It would most likely be less expensive to run it hard for an hour, but heavy throttle translates to high speeds. Then, with the price of fuel, it may be a wash.

I've always been thankful my Cummins is pre-DPF, and pre-DEF.
Old 03-09-2023, 09:35 PM   #8

My Ram takes about 20 to 30 Max to Regenerate.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 10:01 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 7 View Post
I don’t disagree, but most sources say it is not an issue. Regen will just pick up where it left off if not completed. Problem is if you don’t warm it enough next time you lose ground. I have had regens complete and my filter guage says 0% as it did a couple of weeks ago, then out of the blue I get the above message.

I the past, even with my “no emissions” Dodge trucks, I have had a different “daily driver” and winter vehicle. Only used the truck to tow, but I have done well enough that when I bought this truck I decided if I’m going to own a 60K+ truck, I’m going to drive it!

If I didn’t like the Cummins for towing, I really should have the same truck with a gas engine.

Hopefully this Edge tuner makes it possible to drive this thing the way I do and still enjoy the benefits of the diesel.

I appreciate all of the insight.
Your tuner should allow you to initiate a forced regen. This is a program that only runs while parked. The exhaust coming out will get very hot. Partly why the feature doesn't come from the factory. If an owner regenerates in their garage or with the tail pipe aimed at their vinyl siding, fires could happen.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 01:57 PM   #10

hopefully for you that dpf doesnt need replaced. i dont care what anyone says, you dont ever interrupt a regen. worst garbage ever.
john1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1981 View Post
hopefully for you that dpf doesnt need replaced. i dont care what anyone says, you dont ever interrupt a regen. worst garbage ever.
There's times when I have no idea it's in regen. How's that work?
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 03:38 PM   #12

Yes that's the reason it says "see dealer", a forced regen on a DPF that is over filled can get so hot it can burn the vehicle down, they do reach a point where they can no longer be safely burned clean. Having complete control over your regens might be good for some of us but for the average driver it could turn into a disaster pretty quick. I've often wished I could postpone a regen when I see it coming as I reach my destination.
As far as interrupting them, I try never, ever to do that. I monitor with Torque Pro, Scangauge III and a special VAG app I got for my TDI. Since I have learned the patterns I can now use the trip odometer to predict the next one and they do vary if city driving vs highway. In 4 years of ownership I can honestly say I have only interrupted 2 regens on my TDI, and two years of ownership on my Sprinter and have not interrupted single one. That, and keeping the DEF fresh are the two most important actions you can take to minimize or even eliminate issues with the SCR system IMHO. My TDI will regen every 150 miles in city driving and every 300 miles in highway, my Sprinter regens at 560 miles highway and never sees any city driving. Each regen takes 12 to 15 minutes.
By the way if a regen starts you don't need to drive on the highway at high speeds, it will still complete if you just drive normally. If I am in the city I simply put the shifter into manual mode and keep the RPMs up and if stopped at a light I bump it into neutral and raise the idle to 12 or 1400. We have one crosstown road near us that is a 30 MPH speed limit, often if I know a regen is coming on the TDI I will choose that road and keep it in 3rd and the regen will complete normally.
bigb56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 11:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
There's times when I have no idea it's in regen. How's that work?
The only way that I can tell (on the interstate) is that the MPG drops from 21 to 12 when empty, or from 11 to 8 with the 5er.

Tim
Old 03-12-2023, 05:37 AM   #14

I noticed a slight reduction of power and more fuel usage. This was on a generation 1 Ford 6.7. The Regen would last 15 - 20 minutes. I kept mostly fresh DEF in this truck I think. I never looked on the box to see the manufactured date so I guess it was mostly fresh DEF. My regens were mostly on the level and not going up/down a mountain.

Are the new trucks any different as far as regens go? My truck was a 2012.

Tags
cummins, exhaust